982 replies to this topic

#81 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,140 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Didn't see it but Henderson beat Edgar with another split decision. Cerrone knocked out Guillard. Not sure if there was anything else of note.

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,105 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

MMA Fighting: GSP Says Loss of Drive Affected Past Fights, Excited for Future and maybe Silva
http://www.mmafighti...hts-but-excited

#83 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,140 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

I would love to see GSP vs. Silva. GSP/Condit should be fun too. The biggest issue with the sport right now is injuries. It'll be great to get him back.

#84 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

UFC 151 cancelled due to Henderson knee injury...Bones was offered fight against Chael Sonnen and declined. Apparently 7 other guys were contacted for the fight and they refused to fight Bones on short notice...

Bones now defends title at UFC 152.

Do you think Bones should've fought Sonnen on 8 days notice??
@brobey1

#85 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Jones-Machita 2 is better than watching Jones destroy Sonnen who hasn't been training since the Silva fight. I understand people ripping Jones for not stepping up and accepting the fight but in the long run it's better. 152 shaping up to be much better now.

BTW......feel bad for Henderson. I love him as a fighter and was pretty excited to see what he could do against Jones. Hope he gets back and gets another title shot.

#86 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,712 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

This really sucks.

And I agree with Brandon regarding Jones passing on Chael. What would be the point of that fight?

#87 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Very surprised by this call. I understand cancelling the main event, but never the whole event. I'm assuming that there weren't other fights on the card that would've been able to be the main event.

8 days isn't really enough time to get prepared for a fight, especially when you've been training for a different guy.
@mrbeanage

#88 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,712 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

Dana is pissed at Jones. http://www.huffingto.../2 ... d=196410

#89 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,140 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Dana is pissed at Jones. http://www.huffingto.../2 ... d=196410

He should be pissed at himself. The cards are so thin now that one injury cancels an entire card. If they had anything other than prelim quality fights outside of the main event they could've still put on a show. Also, Dana just said a week or two ago that Chael was out of his mind if he thinks he deserves a title shot if he beats Forrest Griffin but now he deserves it without any fights at 205?

And now Machida has declined the fight for 152. He said he would've accepted it at 153 but 152 is too soon. Vitor Belfort now steps in. A middle weight striker against a huge light heavyweight with great wrestling and ground and pound. It'll be a blow out. I would've either given the title shot to Alexander Gustaffson or waited until 153 with Machida.

#90 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,712 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Yeah, just a bad situation all around.

#91 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

Funny that for as much as Dana White and the gangsters that run the UFC have trashed Jones, I'm not seeing it reported or suggested anywhere that they'd offer him any additional financial incentive for changing fights on 8 days notice.
I'm not positive how credible the info is but this site (http://www.mma-manif... ... nings.html) says Jones has only made about $1.4 million in his UFC career. His little brother Chandler (who has yet to play an NFL down) will be well over that by the end of the season if his signing bonus didn't put him there already.
If the majority of Jones money is tied to PPV #'s then he should have some say so in picking his opponent and taking lucrative fights. Considering what UFC is making from partnerships with FOX, the Ultimate fighter franchise, facebook plus PPVs seemingly every other week, what they pay their fighters is laughable. They do however do a great PR job of announcing every bonus they pay out.
It reminds me of when White tried to take a few (verbal) jabs at Floyd Mayweather. Mayweather responded with "Shut up or Leonard Ellerbee and I will give some of your fighters a lesson on PPV money". White did shut up.
  • mweb08 likes this
@Thyrl

#92 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,712 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, I've always thought that the UFC screws over their fighters in terms of pay.

#93 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

Wow. I figured that Jones would be making at least double to three times that. He has to be one of the most popular fighters out there. Plus, I figure that has to make a decent amount with the titles matches and the successful title defenses.
@mrbeanage

#94 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,140 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

He probably was still on his initial contract. He'll be making plenty of money in the future not to mention the under the table bonuses that aren't reported.

#95 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

He probably was still on his initial contract. He'll be making plenty of money in the future not to mention the under the table bonuses that aren't reported.

I guess that depends on how you define "plenty of money". No one on that list is over $5 mil career. Initial contract or not, Jones is one of the company's top draws and is wasting the best years of his career fighting for peanuts. When it is time to renegotiate he doesn't have much leverage because the UFC is a monopoly (basically). Those #'s are missing PPV cuts for some, and as you mentioned under the table bonuses, but you have to believe that if those were substantial money the UFC would go out of their way to tell you about it as they do their fight of the night, KO of the night & Twitter bonuses. It makes them look big and benevolent plus motivates lesser fighters to know that the co. is taking care of their own.
All of that said, my only real point is that White and the minions have trashed Jones badly over this, but I haven't heard anyone say they'd offer him more money to make the fight happen.
@Thyrl

#96 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,140 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

I agree with you that the UFC is at fault in this case. From what I've heard the discretionary payouts are pretty big. I don't blame Jones in this and I agree the lower level fighters don't get fair pay, I'm just saying Jones has plenty of money and plenty more coming.

#97 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

I agree with you that the UFC is at fault in this case. From what I've heard the discretionary payouts are pretty big. I don't blame Jones in this and I agree the lower level fighters don't get fair pay, I'm just saying Jones has plenty of money and plenty more coming.

I'm not saying I doubt what you've heard about discretionary money, or even that I think the link provided is the best representation of the money fighters are getting. But it seems to me that the UFC (like most sporting organizations) love to pound their chests and tell everyine how well they're taking care of their athletes. The NFL for example is the cheapest of the major organizations when it comes to paying guys but they love to pound their chest and announce $100 million contracts (even though they're typically farcical) and they even change the definition of words like guaranteed to suit their PR purpose. Dana White always makes sure to tell you the amount of Fight of the night, KO & submission bonuses & makes sure you know who is getting them (same for TUF KO bonuses).

Still, lest's double what that site says Jones has made and put Jones at $2.8 mil career. That's 10 UFC fights, 6 in the main event and 4 for titles. Jones is one of the premier fighters in the co. and would have made an average of $280k per fight. Even if we guessed it to be $2.4 mil for the 3 title fights as champion (which I think I've substantially over inflated) you'd be lookig at $800k per.

They do millions with the gate alone, not counting the PPV, TV & ad money. Somehow Floyd Mayweather manages to get upwards of $30 million for fighting has beens that don't belong in the ring with him in what many consider a dying sport. I'd love to see what Zuffa is pocketing off of a Bones Jones card.
@Thyrl

#98 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,313 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

I always felt like in the boxing world there was much more money exchanged under the table than on the books. I wonder if this hasn't moved on to the mma as well?
@JeremyMStrain

#99 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,140 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm not saying I doubt what you've heard about discretionary money, or even that I think the link provided is the best representation of the money fighters are getting. But it seems to me that the UFC (like most sporting organizations) love to pound their chests and tell everyine how well they're taking care of their athletes. The NFL for example is the cheapest of the major organizations when it comes to paying guys but they love to pound their chest and announce $100 million contracts (even though they're typically farcical) and they even change the definition of words like guaranteed to suit their PR purpose. Dana White always makes sure to tell you the amount of Fight of the night, KO & submission bonuses & makes sure you know who is getting them (same for TUF KO bonuses).

Still, lest's double what that site says Jones has made and put Jones at $2.8 mil career. That's 10 UFC fights, 6 in the main event and 4 for titles. Jones is one of the premier fighters in the co. and would have made an average of $280k per fight. Even if we guessed it to be $2.4 mil for the 3 title fights as champion (which I think I've substantially over inflated) you'd be lookig at $800k per.

They do millions with the gate alone, not counting the PPV, TV & ad money. Somehow Floyd Mayweather manages to get upwards of $30 million for fighting has beens that don't belong in the ring with him in what many consider a dying sport. I'd love to see what Zuffa is pocketing off of a Bones Jones card.

Again I pretty much agree. He'll start getting PPV shares like all the big fighters. I guess I'm just not as concerned that he's not getting ridiculous boxing salaries. I think a few hundred thousand per fight is pretty fair at this point until if/when the UFC breaks through big with the fox deal.

#100 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,712 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Again I pretty much agree. He'll start getting PPV shares like all the big fighters. I guess I'm just not as concerned that he's not getting ridiculous boxing salaries. I think a few hundred thousand per fight is pretty fair at this point until if/when the UFC breaks through big with the fox deal.

I don't think that's pretty fair at all for headliners, especially the elite headliners. Given the gate and PPV revenue, I would have to think a few million per fight would be more fair, and probably still on the low side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners