Photo

Potential New Look for BSL Forum (Rough Version)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi guys, Chris has discussed making some potential changes to the site, and asked me to share this particular concept with you. It's my VERY ROUGH concept of what the forums main page would look like.

I'm curious whether the altered-to-fit image provided below would interest you, in comparison to what exists here currently. Thanks.

Posted Image

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Yeah that's much better than the current. I like the vBulletin syle boards, but this isn't bad, the separation is key.
@JeremyMStrain

#3 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:23 PM

I agree, the separation is key. I like the idea of grouping the different categories like this.

The header link bar for the main baltimoresportsandlife.com page is really cool, with the mouseover links for the Orioles, Ravens, Terps, etc. I think you should leverage something similar to that for the forum list page. Something roughly like this:

Posted Image
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,034 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

I agree with this.

Setting up the board by categories is needed.
@BSLRobShields

#5 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

Pretty sexy.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#6 tpjs1

tpjs1

Pops

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationCatonsville MD

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:17 PM

I agree, the separation is key. I like the idea of grouping the different categories like this.

The header link bar for the main baltimoresportsandlife.com page is really cool, with the mouseover links for the Orioles, Ravens, Terps, etc. I think you should leverage something similar to that for the forum list page. Something roughly like this:

Posted Image

Good look and I definitely like the relation to the main BSL page!

Go for it!
@Tpjs1

#7 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationAbingdon, MD

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

I was thinking that instead of where it says "Commented On By--" that it read "Last Comment By--" or even "Last Post By--". Thoughts?

Time comes and goes, like mist in the morning… the rays of dawn wane into twilight. Unaware on our journey, we often fail to realize that we are breathing… ALIVE in this wondrous gift called Life.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,561 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

I like 'Last Post By.'

#9 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image

I am just quoting and posting to see if my new can of corn goes with the proposed changes.

Edit- Yea, it looks good, carry on.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#10 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84,034 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

I think the quoted feature could be better...it always ties in other quotes instead of just the one post you are quoting...The bold feature doesn't really stand out to me either.
@BSLRobShields

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,561 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

If you have other thoughts, let us know! We will be moving to these changes sooner than later.

#12 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,346 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

I wouldn't mind a pale orange background either. The blue/light blue theme doesn't really do it for me. Not saying it needs to be drastic like OH, but still.

I like the proposed changes.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#13 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

I like the look that you had, Chris. Definitely need separate headings for each sport, but I don't think we need the pictures.
@mrbeanage

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

HOF

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

I think the quoted feature could be better...it always ties in other quotes instead of just the one post you are quoting...The bold feature doesn't really stand out to me either.

Yeah I'm with this too, then you have to stop mid conversation and get rid of stuff because you can only include up to 3 quotes. Would be MUCH better if it just quoted the ONE post you hit quote on.

Also, and this might sound dumb...but you should put in a rep system. Use it or not, but I guarantee it will pull people over.
@JeremyMStrain

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,861 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

One thing I haven't noticed on the current main forum page, or the proposed new page, is a link that takes you back to the BSL main page.

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,032 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

One thing I haven't noticed on the current main forum page, or the proposed new page, is a link that takes you back to the BSL main page.

I meant to mention this, too. But it's an easy fix.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,561 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Do you mean the blog itself as the main page? Or the the main forum page?

If you mean the forum page, you can click on Baltimore Sports and Life logo up top, or the 'Board Index' button and that will take you back.

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 12,861 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

Do you mean the blog itself as the main page? Or the the main forum page?

If you mean the forum page, you can click on Baltimore Sports and Life logo up top, or the 'Board Index' button and that will take you back.

I mean a link that will take you to the main blog page, in case someone wants to go straight from the forum to the blog to check out the other content. Maybe you could make the BSL logo link to the main blog page? Then there will still be the "Board Index" link that takes people directly back to the main forum page.

#19 BSLChrisBacon

BSLChrisBacon

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 21,253 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

I do like (in Greg's prototype) the option to go directly to the most recent thread. Right now on the Board index there is a column that says "Last Post" but if you click on the poster's username, it sends you to their profile.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 112,561 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

We are starting work on these changes, if there are other suggestions, let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners