#41 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,070 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:18 AM

I think some of you guys are over valuing Stewart, or think he will be something one day. I don't think he will. 

Remember, Davis can play RF too. Buck, who at some point stopped managing and became players friends, isn't here to lock him in at 1B cause thats where Davis wants to play. He's lucky to have a job, so he should play catcher without a face mask if they ask him to. 

Mountcastle's bat is ready, put him at 1st and stop trying to yo-yo him at other positions. 

Davis can be cut, DH, or RF. If you sign Puig, which I would, Davis DHs or is cut.

Stewart rides the pine, DHs if Davis cut.

Santander in LF, Hays in CF.

Smith...bye.

I agree with some and disagree with others.

Agree with thoughts on Stewart.  He is really going to need to come on with the bat because he is IMO bad defensively.

Mountcastle---I do not want to see him in the outfield.  Please, let's stop playing infielders in the outfield.

Davis--he is a first baseman, and at this point that is his only value....Again, no infielders in the outfield.

Cutting him this year is not likely to happen.  If he stinks again this short season, then he should not be back next year.

@mikeghg

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,070 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:28 AM

I believe the Orioles roster will look different and younger about 10-15 games into this season.

They are obviously going to protect service time if they can.  I think Mountcastle, and some of the young pitchers will come into play in  mid August.

@mikeghg

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,807 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:29 AM

I think some of you guys are over valuing Stewart, or think he will be something one day. I don't think he will. 

Remember, Davis can play RF too. Buck, who at some point stopped managing and became players friends, isn't here to lock him in at 1B cause thats where Davis wants to play. He's lucky to have a job, so he should play catcher without a face mask if they ask him to. 

Mountcastle's bat is ready, put him at 1st and stop trying to yo-yo him at other positions. 

Davis can be cut, DH, or RF. If you sign Puig, which I would, Davis DHs or is cut.

Stewart rides the pine, DHs if Davis cut.

Santander in LF, Hays in CF.

Smith...bye.

Nobody is overestimating Stewart. 

He only has so much upside. 
He does have a decent chance to help a roster at no cost for sometime. 
He also faces further roster crunch next year. So, why not evaluate him further now when you have the opportunity?

Re: Davis... due to contract, Spring Training, Summer Training, whatever....  he figures to get some regular ab's at 1st in August.  If he doesn't hit, he'll be removed.  If he produces at all, he'll likely stay in the lineup in September too. 

Mountcastle's future should be 1st / DH, but it's not unreasonable at all to play him in LF this year. 

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,807 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:30 AM

I believe the Orioles roster will look different and younger about 10-15 games into this season.

They are obviously going to protect service time if they can.  I think Mountcastle, and some of the young pitchers will come into play in  mid August.

He can come up after 1 week, and the O's will have gained the additional year of control.

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,223 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:45 AM

He can come up after 1 week, and the O's will have gained the additional year of control.

I know its true that they are counting >61 days as a full year so less days than that would be under a full year of service.

What I haven't heard is if the 20 day option rule is still in effect. Normally, if you spend fewer than 20 days in the minors your get credit for a full year of service.

#46 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 July 2020 - 11:48 AM

There is no reason not to play Mountcastle in LF this season. Do I think he has a future there? Probably not. But he might and the only way to find out is to give him a shot. There is zero downside to trying.

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,223 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:54 PM

There is no reason not to play Mountcastle in LF this season. Do I think he has a future there? Probably not. But he might and the only way to find out is to give him a shot. There is zero downside to trying.

My reason for not wanting to do that is because I think trying a new position for the first time may interfere with his progress trying to his MLB pitching for the first time.

If it was the only way to get him in the lineup I'd be fine with it, but I don't think that's that case. His bat is what's gonna carry him, so I'd avoid asking him to have to focus on something like learning a new position simultaneously to his first cup of coffee. Next year, especially after some off-season and ST time, I'm more willing to experiment with his glove.

#48 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,070 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:04 PM

I did not realize it was that soon.  I thought I had heard that it was 15% of the season. which is 9 games.  Mountcastle will be up soon, either way.

@mikeghg

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,070 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:05 PM

Yea, maybe.  I just hate seeing the Orioles stick infielders in the outfield.  It seems like it has gone on for ever.

@mikeghg

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,974 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:09 PM

Yea, maybe. I just hate seeing the Orioles stick infielders in the outfield. It seems like it has gone on for ever.

But right now, who cares. If they win 23 games, it will be a mild surprise.

It’s about him getting at bats.

Now, if going to a new position mentally screws with him, that’s reason not to do it but if he is able to walk and chew gum at the same time, you get him at bats anywhere.

The other side to this is that you also want to develop pitching and the pitchers are flyball pitchers and having Mountcastle out there isn’t helpful.

Davis is the bigger problem here.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,807 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:21 PM

He did play LF last year (20 some games) in AAA.  He did get time in LF in Spring Training. 

I believe his future is 1st / DH; but he should be able to stand out there this year in a 60 game season with no expectations and not kill you, or completely embarrass him.  (And if he absolutely shows he can't play LF, that's something learned.) 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,223 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:26 PM

Mountcastle, Akin, Hays, and Harvey are the promising prospects that I want to optimize opportunity and environment for. I wouldn't do anything that takes away from my plan for each guy.

To lesser extents guys like Stewart, Tate, Scott and some others will get opportunities and if they play well will get more. But I'm not opposed to limiting them if they struggle or if other guys are playing well or even just bringing in stop gaps to play over them for the sake of improving the on-field product. These guys aren't priorities for me.

#53 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,070 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

But right now, who cares. If they win 23 games, it will be a mild surprise.

It’s about him getting at bats.

Now, if going to a new position mentally screws with him, that’s reason not to do it but if he is able to walk and chew gum at the same time, you get him at bats anywhere.

The other side to this is that you also want to develop pitching and the pitchers are flyball pitchers and having Mountcastle out there isn’t helpful.

Davis is the bigger problem here.

I understand that.  It is just me, being tired of seeing slow infielders misjudging fly balls or not being able to cut balls off as they head for the gap.

No dispute that Mountcastle needs to play, and I agree it is going to be in the outfield, but I do not have to like it.

@mikeghg

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,223 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:41 PM

He did play LF last year (20 some games) in AAA. He did get time in LF in Spring Training.
I believe his future is 1st / DH; but he should be able to stand out there this year in a 60 game season with no expectations and not kill you, or completely embarrass him. (And if he absolutely shows he can't play LF, that's something learned.)

The insight that the organization has both on how successful Mountcastle has been out there and how much impact if any the positional switching would have on his offensive development (based on his mentality) would certainly drive the decision. If they're confident the defensive experiment won't interfere with his offense then by all means throw him out there. I don't have those insights and am generally conservative if the opportunity is there so based on what I know I'd go one step at a time.

#55 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

Asked if Ryan Mountcastle is MLB ready today, Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said: "I think he’s close.” He later reiterated Mountcastle will begin the season in secondary camp.

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,223 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:24 PM

Seems pretty obvious they're gonna get Mountcastle up as soon as they can ensure he won't accrue an entire years worth of service.

I'm just not certain if that's after the first week or after the third week.

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,807 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:48 PM

Seems pretty obvious they're gonna get Mountcastle up as soon as they can ensure he won't accrue an entire years worth of service.

I'm just not certain if that's after the first week or after the third week.

I had Melewski on the pod a couple of weeks ago. He confirmed 1 week.

• Mackus likes this

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,223 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:03 PM

I had Melewski on the pod a couple of weeks ago. He confirmed 1 week.

Did you specifically ask about the 20 day rule?

If a player is optioned for less than 20 days they get credited for service during that assignment, i.e. they get a full years worth of service for the season even if they fell short of the 172 days needed to count for a full year (61 this year).

I haven't seen anything saying if that rule is still in effect, if it's been waived, or if they prorated 20 days down based on how many days are in this season (that'd probably be 7 days).

#59 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:22 AM

Sun article about Puig and Mountcastle.  They also hint pretty strongly that Smith and Santander tested positive for covid.

https://www.baltimor...nvdq-story.html

#60 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,070 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:38 AM

It will be interesting if and when we see Santander and Smith

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic