82 replies to this topic

#21 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:23 AM

Why do people suddenly want better players?

Because we enjoy watching baseball games, and those games are better when the Orioles have a few decent players.

And there's also the opportunity to trade him.

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,931 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:27 AM

If Santander is able to play, I want him in RF, and (after Week 1) Mountcastle in Left.

Stewart getting time at both corners, 1st, and DH.

That sounds like a very bad defensive outfield.

@mikeghg

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,931 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:30 AM

For me, I have always wanted to upgrade.  Puig has talent and adds some excitement.

@mikeghg

#24 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,709 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:31 AM

Because we enjoy watching baseball games, and those games are better when the Orioles have a few decent players.

And there's also the opportunity to trade him.

I get the trade angle, but it's a month away.  If nobody cares about him now, then why is he going to be a thing in a month?  I know, "injuries", but there's going to be a ton of guys available.

Personally, I don't really care either way.  They try to talk about 'culture' with Iglesias, but Puig is the opposite of a culture guy.  It's meaningless either way.

I think it's funny to talk about the process and the excitement of youth and then then they want to sign 2 guys that don't really move the needle and everyone wants to see better baseball. Seems pretty hypocritical if you aren't Mackus or MikeB.

#25 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,709 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

For me, I have always wanted to upgrade.  Puig has talent and adds some excitement.

I acknowledge you and Mackus stand outside the other group (which is basically everyone else)

#26 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,931 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:35 AM

I acknowledge you and Mackus stand outside the other group (which is basically everyone else)

Yea, I am strongly opposed to tanking.  

@mikeghg

#27 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,448 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:43 AM

Lol. This is great.

@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,835 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

Lol. This is great.

It’s such a dumb question.

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,690 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:53 AM

I have no desire in watching Puig. 

He's not going to raise his value in a month to a point you are getting any real value.. when teams could sign him right now, and apparently aren't interested. 

Spend this time giving playing time to the guys who could potentially be part of your roster going forward. 

That said, if the O's don't believe Santander is going to play this year... and they want Puig around just to improve the ML product, whatever, it's fine.

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,177 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:59 AM

I have no desire in watching Puig. 

He's not going to raise his value in a month to a point you are getting any real value.. when teams could sign him right now, and apparently aren't interested. 

Spend this time giving playing time to the guys who could potentially be part of your roster going forward. 

That said, if the O's don't believe Santander is going to play this year... and they want Puig around just to improve the ML product, whatever, it's fine.

I'd rather watch Puig than Stewart and Smith and Wilkerson.  Santander and Hays and Mountcastle can still get absolutely as much playing time as desired with Puig added to the roster.  Stewart really is the only guy who maybe you could really squint and say that perhaps he has a future who would get squeezed of time based on Puig's presence.  But I think it's such an improbable long shot that he becomes anything desirable that I'm fine with missing out on that potential so that we can watch one more actual MLB player on the roster.  

#31 russsnyder

russsnyder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:00 AM

That sounds like a very bad defensive outfield.

I agree.

Stewart is a hazard in the outfield. 

Hope he doesn't hurt himself trying to catch a fly ball again.

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,690 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:03 AM

I'd rather watch Puig than Stewart and Smith and Wilkerson.  Santander and Hays and Mountcastle can still get absolutely as much playing time as desired with Puig added to the roster.  Stewart really is the only guy who maybe you could really squint and say that perhaps he has a future who would get squeezed of time based on Puig's presence.  But I think it's such an improbable long shot that he becomes anything desirable that I'm fine with missing out on that potential so that we can watch one more actual MLB player on the roster.  

If Puig is on the roster...  it impacts Santander, Stewart, and Mountcastle.  

There is no way around that. 

If he's not on the roster, that trio plays more. 

Hays is not impacted. No issue there. 
Smith, doesn't matter if he's impacted. No issue there. 

But Santander showed something last year... if he's healthy, he needs to play everyday. 

Stewart you ideally don't want in the OF... but between the OF corners, 1st, and DH... you can find regular ab's. Less if Puig is on the roster. 

After Week 1, Mountcastle should be the LF.  Do I want him in the OF in '21? No, but there is an opportunity to give him regular ab's in LF this year. And development wise, I want him getting as many ab's as possible this year.

#33 russsnyder

russsnyder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

I don't think having Puig around for 60 games is going to set Stewart back that much.

The Orioles obviously need outfield help and it makes sense to discuss bringing in Puig at this point.

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,835 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:06 AM

It’s pretty short sighted to not want to see Stewart more imo..especially for such a short period of time.

That being said, I don’t see this being an issue unless Santander is here too.

I don’t care about Smith. Much rather give his time to Puig.

Stewart should be able to find enough at bats.

#35 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:08 AM

Is Stewart healthy?  It always scares me when I hear microfracture.  Has he played in any of the scrimmages?  I haven't been following it at all, so I have no idea.

#36 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,931 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:12 AM

Is Stewart healthy?  It always scares me when I hear microfracture.  Has he played in any of the scrimmages?  I haven't been following it at all, so I have no idea.

I believe he has played in the scrimages,  There are no box scores, but I am pretty sure I have seen his name in Roch's columns.  

• Nigel Tufnel likes this
@mikeghg

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,690 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:21 AM

Yes, he's healthy.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,177 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:35 AM

If Puig is on the roster...  it impacts Santander, Stewart, and Mountcastle.  

There is no way around that. 

I can have Puig and only impact the time that Stewart gets without impacting Santander and Mountcastle. 

Mountcastle wouldn't get (much, if any) outfield time but I'm lukewarm on dumping him into the outfield while also asking him to hit MLB pitching for the first time.  I'd prefer to have guys only try one new thing at a time when possible.  Would rather he just DH or maybe play 1B.

Stewart does get relegated to the bench and occasional spot start if we sign Puig.  I'm not trying to get around that.  And I'm fine with it.  And it may be moot anyway because if Santander can't get to camp then his time goes to whatever combo you want, led by Stewart.

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,835 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:35 AM

It’s 60 games in 65 days..players will get at bats.

Guys like Nunez and Davis won’t play if they don’t hit.

Guys will get hurt, get covid, etc..

Once you get to the end of August, the at bats will be going to players who are performing and/or young players they want to see.

I do think a deal for Puig makes more sense if you get him to sign a deal with a team option but I question that he will sign that.

#40 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,304 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:57 AM

I think some of you guys are over valuing Stewart, or think he will be something one day. I don't think he will. 

Remember, Davis can play RF too. Buck, who at some point stopped managing and became players friends, isn't here to lock him in at 1B cause thats where Davis wants to play. He's lucky to have a job, so he should play catcher without a face mask if they ask him to. 

Mountcastle's bat is ready, put him at 1st and stop trying to yo-yo him at other positions. 

Davis can be cut, DH, or RF. If you sign Puig, which I would, Davis DHs or is cut.

Stewart rides the pine, DHs if Davis cut.

Santander in LF, Hays in CF.

Smith...bye.

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users