SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:18 AM

https://www.espn.com...patrick-mahomes

The top 5 (If you don’t have a subscription) are Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Rodgers and Brees.

Lamar came in 6th.

Also, Mike Greenberg has a poll up and said, if you could start a franchise with anyone but Mahomes, which of these 3 QBs do you take:

Wilson, Watson or Jackson.

The vote was close but Jackson was third.

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

The top 5 (If you don’t have a subscription) are Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Rodgers and Brees.

Lamar came in 6th.

Also, Mike Greenberg has a poll up and said, if you could start a franchise with anyone but Mahomes, which of these 3 QBs do you take:

I am biased, but the only QB, I would definitely take over Lamar is Mahomes.  Wilson is very close, but no to Watson, Rodgers and Brees.

@mikeghg

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:34 AM

Watson is overrated at this point. Bordering on severly overrated if people really are putting him in as a top 3 QB.
  • DuffMan and BSLMikeRandall like this

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,977 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:36 AM

Watson is overrated at this point. Bordering on severly overrated.

Maybe in-terms of who you'd choose to build around given his age... but he's excellent imo.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:40 AM

Hes a good QB but people talking like he's cream of the crop elite are crazy. Once he gets his big contract and is taking up a big chunk of the cap that team will be mediocre to subpar.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,977 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

Hes a good QB but people talking like he's cream of the crop elite are crazy. Once he gets his big contract and is taking up a big chunk of the cap that team will be mediocre to subpar.

Whoops, you said Watson.  For some reason I read it as Wilson (which is why I made the age comment). 

I like Watson a lot too, but tend to agree with you that he's not quite the elite of the elite. 

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:55 AM

I am biased, but the only QB, I would definitely take over Lamar is Mahomes.  Wilson is very close, but no to Watson, Rodgers and Brees.

I feel the same way. I'd probably say Watson would be my 3rd pick simply because of age, but Lamar is a top 3-5 QB right now not factoring in age. If you consider that he is only 23, that makes him easily preferable to some of the older QBs imo.

@gabefergy

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:06 AM

I give Watson the edge over Lamar right now but it’s close.

My justification is that, as we talk right now, I believe in Watson 7-10 years down the road more than Lamar because he’s a better thrower.

That may change and I actually expect it to change but I need to see Lamar do it first.

I do think Wilson should be second on the overall list and have no issue with taking him as the guy to start your team with, even though is much older than these guys.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,268 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:11 AM

Lamar is much better than Watson, IMO.

Mahomes is the only guy I'd start a franchise with over Jackson.  If Wilson were a bit younger he'd be ahead, and I think it's reasonable to pick him over Lamar.  I can't comprehend how anybody else is in consideration.

#10 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,439 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:14 AM

Lamar came in 6th.

Top 5 right now:

1. Mahomes

2a. Brees

2b. Jackson

4. Wilson

5. Rodgers

Starting a franchise w/o/ Mahomes. Based on track record I'd say Wilson. Based on all other variables, Jackson. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:19 AM

Lamar is much better than Watson, IMO.

Mahomes is the only guy I'd start a franchise with over Jackson. If Wilson were a bit younger he'd be ahead, and I think it's reasonable to pick him over Lamar. I can't comprehend how anybody else is in consideration.

Well, in this poll, where he talked to execs all over the league, the consensus is that Watson is ahead of Lamar.

I think people just want to see more from Lamar as a thrower.

Watson can make all the throws. I really think that’s the difference. It is for me.

I think you can also argue that you take Kyler Murray over any of them.

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:13 PM

Lamar came in 6th.

That list is asinine imo.

But that's fine. Keep underrating him.

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:11 PM

And while Watson is overrated, Lamar is underrated as a pure passer. His accuracy isnt top notch but damn does he do the other things well. Throws with anticipation, manipulates defenders, has pocket awareness, quick release. Kid was efficient as hell last year. That 113 QB rating doesn't take any of his running into account.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

Why exactly is Watson overrated?

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:44 PM

I don't think Watson is over rated, but he does seem to make mistakes in the pocket.  He holds on to the ball way too long.  Very good QB though.  I like Lamar better, but again I am biased.

Watson's problem may very well be a bad head coach.

@mikeghg

#16 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:57 PM

This wasn't directed at me, but I think he makes his OL look worse than it is at times because he tends to lock onto his primary read (Hopkins) and hold onto the ball too long. He can do some impressive things to extend plays and he is fairly accurate in these scenarios too, but he also takes way too many sacks and can make mistakes when things break down.

It will be interesting to see how he looks without the top 5 WR. It may force him to develop in a positive way although his stats may go down some without a dominant target.

He does have some extremely impressive numbers through 3 seasons which is why he would be #3 for me just behind Mahomes and Lamar.

@gabefergy

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,268 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM

I think Watson is excellent.  I just think he's clearly inferior to Lamar.  That says a lot more about Lamar than it does Watson.

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2020 - 04:00 PM

This wasn't directed at me, but I think he makes his OL look worse than it is at times because he tends to lock onto his primary read (Hopkins) and hold onto the ball too long. He can do some impressive things to extend plays and he is fairly accurate in these scenarios too, but he also takes way too many sacks and can make mistakes when things break down.

It will be interesting to see how he looks without the top 5 WR. It may force him to develop in a positive way although his stats may go down some without a dominant target.

He does have some extremely impressive numbers through 3 seasons which is why he would be #3 for me just behind Mahomes and Lamar.

PFF has given him a grade over 80 the last 2 years.

He was second last year, according to PFF, as a deep ball thrower.

Lots of QBs take sacks looking to make plays..Ben has made a career out of that and he has been elite.

He’s 24 and has already been a highly rated guy.

#19 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:10 PM

PFF has given him a grade over 80 the last 2 years.

He was second last year, according to PFF, as a deep ball thrower.

Lots of QBs take sacks looking to make plays..Ben has made a career out of that and he has been elite.

He’s 24 and has already been a highly rated guy.

Where did I say anything about him not being great? I just pointed out some flaws in his game. 

At this point, he's not a better QB than Lamar or Mahomes, but I would take him over anyone else in the league.

@gabefergy

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:22 PM

Where did I say anything about him not being great? I just pointed out some flaws in his game.

At this point, he's not a better QB than Lamar or Mahomes, but I would take him over anyone else in the league.

I addressed you but I’m more talking about everyone else.

I don’t get the “Watson is overrated” talk. Doesn’t make any sense to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users