Photo

BSL: Mahomes Like Contract in Jackson's Future?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:26 AM

BSL: https://www.baltimor...acksons-future/

Only if Jackson continues playing at an MVP level. Details of the Mahomes deal, and how an exuberant amount of money can also be team friendly. 

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLJordanKough like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 121,871 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:53 PM

Nice read Mike.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#3 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

Mahomes is one of the better arm talents to grace the game.  He is the new mold when in comes to a spread offense; he is the litmus test to follow for the future QB development.  The "Be Like Mike" for the NFL QB.  Although if I had to build a team from scratch, I think I would choose Jackson...and before you throw your shoe at me; hear me out.

Jackson can do more with less. 

• He accounts for 70-75% of the touches, yet it remains a balanced attack where a defense would get burned by trying to prevent another opponents strength.
  • He has show the growth to foresee that he can maintain a dual threat until his age starts to slow him down, with enough arm talent and intelligence to be a successful pocket QB.
  • He has shown that he can stay on the field and make an average defense play above average, and statistically a top ten unit because they will feast on poor teams that play 2-3 possession behind for almost half a season.
  • While talented and fast, he works with average to slightly above average personnel to this point.  Running backs are average, maybe Ingram is slightly above average, and WR in total have more potential than ability at this stage.  Andrews is the only player where he is top 5 at his position, everyone else is at least in the 11-20 range, maybe lower.

*Edit: And I would not say this if I have not seen the work ethic up close, the drive to want to be better.  My conversations with him tell me that it's not smoke.  He wants to be great and has taken the steps in the classroom and field to improve, and he is not resting on what has been.

@Olsen_Don

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

Mahomes is one of the better arm talents to grace the game. He is the new mold when in comes to a spread offense; he is the litmus test to follow for the future QB development. The "Be Like Mike" for the NFL QB. Although if I had to build a team from scratch, I think I would choose Jackson...and before you throw your shoe at me; hear me out.

Jackson can do more with less.

• He accounts for 70-75% of the touches, yet it remains a balanced attack where a defense would get burned by trying to prevent another opponents strength.
  • He has show the growth to foresee that he can maintain a dual threat until his age starts to slow him down, with enough arm talent and intelligence to be a successful pocket QB.
  • He has shown that he can stay on the field and make an average defense play above average, and statistically a top ten unit because they will feast on poor teams that play 2-3 possession behind for almost half a season.
  • While talented and fast, he works with average to slightly above average personnel to this point. Running backs are average, maybe Ingram is slightly above average, and WR in total have more potential than ability at this stage. Andrews is the only player where he is top 5 at his position, everyone else is at least in the 11-20 range, maybe lower.
*Edit: And I would not say this if I have not seen the work ethic up close, the drive to want to be better. My conversations with him tell me that it's not smoke. He wants to be great and has taken the steps in the classroom and field to improve, and he is not resting on what has been.
He's the ultimate weapon in the NFL. The best playmaker in the game is playing the most important position. From that perspective it's not a hot take if you would choose him over Maholmes. Especially over the next say 3-4 years while he's presumably still at the peak of his athleticism.
  • Don Olsen likes this

#5 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:43 AM

But can he throw the deep out?!??! I mean if he can't throw the deep out, teams are going to figure this gimmick offense out. (Am I doing this right?) 

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,231 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:48 AM

Does Lamar have an agent yet?  He could hire someone hourly to negotiate his deal, but I wonder if he would get to something as detailed and complicated as Mahomes' deal if he remains without representation.  May need to be more traditionally straightforward, albeit massive.

• BSLJordanKough likes this

#7 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:00 AM

Does Lamar have an agent yet?  He could hire someone hourly to negotiate his deal, but I wonder if he would get to something as detailed and complicated as Mahomes' deal if he remains without representation.  May need to be more traditionally straightforward, albeit massive.

I totally forgot he doesn't have an agent! He could take $50 million less and get paid the same as Mahomes! The Ravens should use that to their advantage, lol. 

#8 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:27 AM

I totally forgot he doesn't have an agent! He could take $50 million less and get paid the same as Mahomes! The Ravens should use that to their advantage, lol. 

His mother represented him, as the money is locked into it.  The only differences with rookie contract language is the the by line item of "Offset Language", which is code name for "If our team makes a draft mistake, we should not be allowed to honor his rookie contract when we cut him.".

I suspect that an agent will be spearheading the next contract, or maybe he does go the route of a lawyer based on hours.  Every contract is outlined for public consumption these days, so you basically know the money.  It's just understanding the fine print, which any contract lawyer can see and handle just as well.

@Olsen_Don

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,231 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

NFL agents only make 3% I think.  I also think Lamar eschewed an agent to make more money for himself, not to save his team cash :)

• Mike B and BSLJordanKough like this

#10 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:17 PM

Ed Reed I think was also agentless
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:11 PM

Ed Reed I think was also agentless

Ed was using Legacy Sports Group for his first three deals with the Ravens and he parted with my friend Greg in 2010 to represent him when the Ravens would not do an extension with him in the Spring of 2010.  This was the 18 month period of Ed Reed doing some weird things and at one point made a press release that he was retiring.  But if you know Ed, you know he is cut against the cloth.  He never needed the money after his two year extension.

Ed did the deal with the Texans, but it was a poor move because they walked out of the 3/15 partially guaranteed contract, only paying 5 million in the first year.  He also did the deal with the Jets, which was game check to game check.

@Olsen_Don

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,092 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:24 PM

NFL agents only make 3% I think.  I also think Lamar eschewed an agent to make more money for himself, not to save his team cash :)

Didn't lamar say his mother was his agent?

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users