#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 July 2020 - 08:59 AM

The more you read about Davis the more you gotta feel for the guy. Sure he's making a bazillion dollars more than he has produced. But he really does a lot for the community and seems to be really trying to turn his career around. Might be fun to see him over this oddball season.

• Mackus likes this

#3 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

I don't begrudge any player for making bank. MLB is a free market economy. But it bothers me to see Davis praised for his work ethic. Most players work hard to be the best they can be. If he's figured out the right combination of body mass and strength, terrific. That can only help the team and make the O's more enjoyable to watch. But he wasted the last 2 seasons by stubbornly refusing to change anything about his approach at the plate. And that was on the heels of (what was then considered) a terrible season. No matter who worked with him, he just ignored everything and stuck to his "swing harder" attitude. And then there was the lying about the off season work with the hitting instructor. Work ethic isn't limited to time spent in the gym. It's also your cerebral dedication. And on that front, he gets an F-   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

Very rarely does or can a player at Davis's age have the ability to totally change his approach at the plate.It is easy to say hit the ball the other way, but to do it, when you have been a hitter who pulls the ball, is very tough.

@mikeghg

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,268 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

I don't put a lot of stock into the public comments from Davis and others regarding his approach. But I do think it's a fair criticism that he hasn't seemingly been very creative in trying new things.

I also think it's fair to criticize him for not agreeing to a minor league assignment to work on things. And if the team was trying to be good I'd be loudly critical for that selfishness (as I was with Ubaldo). But that critique is only valid when the team is trying to win and the player's presence is making it difficult to reach that goal. Currently, and ever since early 2018, the team hasn't been trying to win so Davis' struggles haven't really hurt the team. Mancini could've played 1B more is the only thing his presence has cost us.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:24 AM

Very rarely does or can a player at Davis's age have the ability to totally change his approach at the plate.It is easy to say hit the ball the other way, but to do it, when you have been a hitter who pulls the ball, is very tough.

Sound reasoning, but Davis did use to shoot the ball to all points on the field. That's what made him such a good hitter, he hit the ball where it was pitched, and often with power. I'll see if I can find a chart on him.

Edit: Here's a link to his spray chart for the 2012 & 13 seasons. You can change it to see any season you want. I did a quick check on a few years, you can see that he went from hitting to all fields, to becoming a pull hitter. For some reason, the 17-19 charts aren't displaying. 

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,171 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:40 PM

Sound reasoning, but Davis did use to shoot the ball to all points on the field. That's what made him such a good hitter, he hit the ball where it was pitched, and often with power. I'll see if I can find a chart on him.

Edit: Here's a link to his spray chart for the 2012 & 13 seasons. You can change it to see any season you want. I did a quick check on a few years, you can see that he went from hitting to all fields, to becoming a pull hitter. For some reason, the 17-19 charts aren't displaying. 

He used to hit the ball in the air to the opposite field and with his strengthj it carried to the gaps and beyond.  On the rare times he is going good we still see power to the opposite field.  A lot of people want to see Davis hit the ball through the open left side of the infield.  I do not remember much of that.

@mikeghg

#8 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:48 PM

He used to hit the ball in the air to the opposite field and with his strengthj it carried to the gaps and beyond.  On the rare times he is going good we still see power to the opposite field.  A lot of people want to see Davis hit the ball through the open left side of the infield.  I do not remember much of that.

I seems like most players that see the shift used on them, don't want to take the easy single. I suppose it's male pride, or whatever. In Davis's case, when you're challenging for the worst offensive season, in the recorded history of the sport. Take the easy single. It looks so much better than the instant out. 

But more to the point of my previous post, Davis wasn't a career pull hitter, So I don't think it was a big ask, to try hitting the ball where it's pitched, rather than trying to pull everything into the flag court. 

#9 russsnyder

russsnyder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:56 AM

I don't begrudge any player for making bank. MLB is a free market economy. But it bothers me to see Davis praised for his work ethic. Most players work hard to be the best they can be. If he's figured out the right combination of body mass and strength, terrific. That can only help the team and make the O's more enjoyable to watch. But he wasted the last 2 seasons by stubbornly refusing to change anything about his approach at the plate. And that was on the heels of (what was then considered) a terrible season. No matter who worked with him, he just ignored everything and stuck to his "swing harder" attitude. And then there was the lying about the off season work with the hitting instructor. Work ethic isn't limited to time spent in the gym. It's also your cerebral dedication. And on that front, he gets an F-

The guy has been arguably the worst player in MLB for the past two seasons. There's not much to praise him about except maybe his work ethic. Sounds like Chris hit the weight room and the " supplements" really hard. He'll probably hit a few more dingers when he makes contact, I predict he'll still be the worst player in the league this season. I still don't believe he can catch up to a big league fastball.

#10 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:49 AM

The guy has been arguably the worst player in MLB for the past two seasons. There's not much to praise him about except maybe his work ethic. Sounds like Chris hit the weight room and the " supplements" really hard. He'll probably hit a few more dingers when he makes contact, I predict he'll still be the worst player in the league this season. I still don't believe he can catch up to a big league fastball.

Agreed, without "supplements" (wink - wink), no 34 yr old slugger sees a sudden and significant increase in bat speed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users