#141 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:05 PM

Lol ok

Common sense says you don’t lock yourself into a contract for a decade when the salary caps jump like crazy. Look at the biggest contracts now vs 5 years ago. The difference is huge.

You act like players can’t hold out. If the $39M-$59M a year isn’t enough six, seven, eight years from now, and he’s brought them more titles and still an elite player, ask for an extension, or hold out. Contracts rarely make it to the backend without a restructure.

I thought you would be smart enough to realize there are always options. Stop watching talking heads spew nonsense.
@BSLMikeRandall

#142 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:12 PM

You act like players can’t hold out. If the $39M-$59M a year isn’t enough six, seven, eight years from now, and he’s brought them more titles and still an elite player, ask for an extension, or hold out. Contracts rarely make it to the backend without a restructure.
I thought you would be smart enough to realize there are always options. Stop watching talking heads spew nonsense.

There are options..like pointing out the obvious and not listening to fans who have no contact with agents or players.

And sure they can hold out..but the teams can tell them to pound sand too.

There’s a reason players don’t sign these deals in the NFL.

#143 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:19 PM

https://www.google.c...ig-reasons/amp/

I guess this agent knows nothing either.

#144 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2020 - 08:23 PM

https://www.google.c...s-contract/amp/

#145 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,977 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:28 PM

I'd sign that contract if in the same situation due to the uncertainty of health in football and the uncertainty of NFL finances due to the virus and its impact.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#146 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:11 PM

https://www.google.c...ig-reasons/amp/

I guess this agent knows nothing either.

This agent says cash flow is the problem. That in the next three years he's only guaranteed $63M. 

Fine. Except that in the next 21 months he will have earned $141.4M. Since as has been said multiple times, 2020-2022 are guaranteed today. In March of 2021 he's guaranteed 2023 salary of $40.45M. In March of 2022 he's guaranteed 2024 salary of $37.95M.

Maybe since the agent is talking cash flow, Mahomes gets the check for his 2023 salary in 2023 rather than in 2021, the 2024 salary in 2024 rather than in 2022. He earns $141.4M in the next 21 months. But doesn't see all of it for five years. Man, that's rough. How is Mahomes agent going to sleep at night knowing he is only gonna make $4.24M over the next five years on just this one client?

This agent even said Mahomes stands to make $6M more over the next two years than if he played out his rookie deal. Then suggests he and the Chiefs should play the franchise tag game. You don't really do that with someone you trust. No one wants to be franchised tagged. 

The other clear issue is career ending injury. Lets play out this scenario in this agents take, and in the current contract if injury happens in say, 2021.

Agent says play out rookie deal, get franchise tagged one to two, even suggests times. 

Agent 2020: $825K earned

Agent 2021: Option exercised, call it $26M earned, guaranteed first day of league year. 

Career ending injury during 2021 season - Take home pay = $26.825M. 

Current contract

Current 2020: $10M signing bonus, $825K salary = $10.825M

Current 2021: Guaranteed salary of $22.8M. 2023 salary becomes guaranteed

Career ending injury during 2021 season - Currently earned $33.625M.

Current 2022 was guaranteed for $29.45M

Current 2023 was guaranteed in 2021 for $40.45M 

Take home pay - $103.525M 

Agent also compares to Goff and Wentz. Lets run them through the career ending injury scenario in a second year into an extension

Goff

2019: $25M signing bonus, $1M guaranteed salary = $26M

2020: Guaranteed salary of $22.04M. 2021 salary guaranteed as of March 19. 

Career ending injury - Currently earned $48.04M

2021: guaranteed $27.5M

Take home pay - $75.54M

Wentz

2019: $16.367M signing bonus. $720K salary = $17.09M

2020: Something about a $30M option + base salary of $1.383M = $31.38M

Career ending injury - Currently earned $48.41M

2021: guaranteed $25.4M 

Take home pay - $73.81M

Mahomes still takes the cake. But sure, cash flow and stuff.

@BSLMikeRandall

#147 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:25 PM

https://www.google.c...s-contract/amp/

And Florio is a loon.

He committed to the Chiefs but the Chiefs didn't commit to him? Florio seems to think the salary cap is going to skyrocket to like $400M because of all of a sudden wide spread sports gambling and covid stuff? Renewed TV deals will help, but not an astronomical amount. He thinks Mahomes will quickly be paid like a middle of the pack guy. 

Again. If 2025 rolls around and $39-$59M a year isn't enough, you hold out. It happens every year to some high profile players. 

He calls the $25M taking the deal potentially over $500M "unspecified incentives". It says right on OTC that it's $1.25M for winning MVP, and $1.25M for winning a conference title game. Do your homework Florio. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#148 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:36 PM

It's just my opinion, I think the numbers are one of a kind for Mahomes, This isn't like when Flacco became the highest paid player, then before the 2013 season even started he was 3rd highest paid once Ryan got a deal and Rodgers got an extension. 

This might be more like A-Rod getting $275M 20 years ago. It didn't set a bar, It was astronomical, as was he at the time, where no one else deserved to approach that number for a long time. This could be the same thing. Lamar, Watson, won't go past Mahomes AAV because the market says so. 

Mahomes AAV is $45M. Wilson is $35M. Ben $34M, Rodgers Goff Cousins $33M. 

I'd expect Lamar to fall in the $40M AAV range if he stays MVP caliber, real deep playoff run. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#149 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:41 PM

There are options..like pointing out the obvious and not listening to fans who have no contact with agents or players.

And sure they can hold out..but the teams can tell them to pound sand too.

There’s a reason players don’t sign these deals in the NFL.

If the Chiefs tell Mahomes to pound sand, he still gets paid for the current year, and following year throughout his contract, and the Chiefs watch probably Ryan Fitzpatrick play QB. 

The reason players don't sign these deals is because they aren't offered. You can count on Jason Pierre Paul's hand how many guys you would offer this kind of deal to.

@BSLMikeRandall

#150 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:05 AM

If the Chiefs tell Mahomes to pound sand, he still gets paid for the current year, and following year throughout his contract, and the Chiefs watch probably Ryan Fitzpatrick play QB.

The reason players don't sign these deals is because they aren't offered. You can count on Jason Pierre Paul's hand how many guys you would offer this kind of deal to.

Yea but teams would probably rather spread out the bonuses as much as possible but they know that’s a non starter.

Also, we don’t know if they are offered or not. It’s part of the negotiation that we aren’t privy to.

What we do know is they are never done.

#151 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:31 AM

Yea but teams would probably rather spread out the bonuses as much as possible but they know that’s a non starter.

What do you mean by that?
@BSLMikeRandall

#152 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:35 AM

What do you mean by that?

Less of a per year hit.

#153 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,362 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:16 AM

Less of a per year hit.

You mean signing bonuses?
@BSLMikeRandall

#154 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,231 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 10:18 AM

It's just my opinion, I think the numbers are one of a kind for Mahomes, This isn't like when Flacco became the highest paid player, then before the 2013 season even started he was 3rd highest paid once Ryan got a deal and Rodgers got an extension. 

This might be more like A-Rod getting $275M 20 years ago. It didn't set a bar, It was astronomical, as was he at the time, where no one else deserved to approach that number for a long time. This could be the same thing. Lamar, Watson, won't go past Mahomes AAV because the market says so. 

Mahomes AAV is $45M. Wilson is $35M. Ben $34M, Rodgers Goff Cousins $33M. 

I'd expect Lamar to fall in the $40M AAV range if he stays MVP caliber, real deep playoff run. 

Lamar will be much closer to Mahomes than the rest of those guys, if not exceeding.  Especially if you assume another amazing season and at least a championship game appearance.  

#155 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

This is somewhat Mahomes related, but how does the "injury" guarantee work. I assume that's career ending injury? Would that all accelerate into the cap in one year if it happens? Does it require the player to be cut to trigger? 

It's interesting to me because it's guaranteed money but it's also not counted against the cap in any meaningful way. Seems like the Chiefs did this with both Mahomes and Jones. And it provides a nice bit of security for the players, but it seems like a total work around on the cap. I can't remember other deals like this.

I also wonder if that's done through insurance (I assume it is) so would that not count against the cap? 

Has anyone seen or read anything else on that? 

#156 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,231 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

This is somewhat Mahomes related, but how does the "injury" guarantee work. I assume that's career ending injury? Would that all accelerate into the cap in one year if it happens? Does it require the player to be cut to trigger?

It's interesting to me because it's guaranteed money but it's also not counted against the cap in any meaningful way. Seems like the Chiefs did this with both Mahomes and Jones. And it provides a nice bit of security for the players, but it seems like a total work around on the cap. I can't remember other deals like this.

I also wonder if that's done through insurance (I assume it is) so would that not count against the cap?

Any money paid out as part of an injury settlement, which I believe is how future "guaranteed for injury" money would be accounted for, gets counted against the cap.

I can't find anything on this topic specifically though so maybe there are some weird loopholes.
  • BSLJordanKough likes this

#157 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,828 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 14 July 2020 - 02:45 PM

It's if he's cut. If say Washington cut Alex Smith when he first got hurt, they still would have had to pay whatever portion was injury guaranteed on his deal, which was like $71m or something, which is why they kept him, basically only the last 1/2 year wasn't guaranteed, and near a 3rd of it was done as a signing bonus, so it was prorated over the 4 years (like 7m per) and adds to why there's so much dead money if he were cut.

There are three guarantees. Injury, performance/skill, and salary cap. Injury, obv, some huge injury happens and they can't play. Skill, if they just flat out suck and cut them. Cap, if they take up a large chunk of the cap and the team cuts them in order to save money.

If they have all 3, it's considered fully guaranteed, which is the term you see a lot. If it's just one or two of the others, then they can cut them for the rest of the reasons without having to pay.

• BSLJordanKough likes this
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users