• 94 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:38 AM

BSL: Orioles: Three Areas Of Intrigue In A Shortened 2020 Season

https://www.baltimor...ed-2020-season/

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and russsnyder like this

@NickStevensR

Go Dukes!

Support your local minor league baseball team.

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:05 AM

Everyone is bullish on the Orioles pen.  I hope we get to see some games this year to see which of the BP arms step up.

Stewart should get some run this year in LF.  He is going to have to hit well, because from what I saw he was a liability defensively.

@mikeghg

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,119 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

Everyone is bullish on the Orioles pen.  I hope we get to see some games this year to see which of the BP arms step up.

Stewart should get some run this year in LF.  He is going to have to hit well, because from what I saw he was a liability defensively.

I'm bullish on the pen arms.  But the rotation has to not be a completely disaster in-front of them, for them to potentially shine imo. 
But a shortened season, and an extended pen certainly helps the odds.

Stewart will find ab's.  Between LF / RF / 1st / DH.   If Davis isn't hitting, Stewart might find some regular ab's at 1st. 
Figure you can rotate him between those 4 spots and find him some regular time.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

I'm bullish on the pen arms.  But the rotation has to not be a completely disaster in-front of them, for them to potentially shine imo. 
But a shortened season, and an extended pen certainly helps the odds.

Stewart will find ab's.  Between LF / RF / 1st / DH.   If Davis isn't hitting, Stewart might find some regular ab's at 1st. 
Figure you can rotate him between those 4 spots and find him some regular time.

With all the available arms, I think it is likely that the starters will be 3-5 inning guys, at least for the first 30 or so games.

In spring training in the 60's and 70's, teams often threw each pitcher 3 innings, then sent in the next guy for 3.  It will be interesting if any team tries that.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:16 AM

The shorter the season the more likely I would be to not worry about service time. With no minor league competition I think its more important to get guys playing than to worry about service time. Losing a year of development is probably as bad if not worse than losing a year of service time. 

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:31 AM

The shorter the season the more likely I would be to not worry about service time. With no minor league competition I think its more important to get guys playing than to worry about service time. Losing a year of development is probably as bad if not worse than losing a year of service time. 

Yea the Orioles and all franchises are going to lose a year of development on all prospects.  At tis point, IMO, service time is unimportant.

I think we are going to see some strange things if the season gets played.  Guys like Rutschman, Rodriquez, Hall and others may wind up on the taxi squad, so they can get at least practice time and who knows some game experience.

• Hooded Viper likes this
@mikeghg

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:45 PM

It's foolish to be bullish on any BP let alone one led by Givens and contains a bunch of guys who've pitched so few ML innings.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,119 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

It's foolish to be bullish on any BP let alone one led by Givens and contains a bunch of guys who've pitched so few ML innings.

I thinks its more than fair to be skeptical about the production (especially with the rotation in-front of them), but there are some legitimately talented arms to be excited about watching.

#9 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,816 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:42 AM

Givens has to bounce back to pre 2018 form. The Ks were up last year but he’s just walking too many guys.

If he can rebound and if Harvey continues to take those big steps, the back end could be very good.

I love the upside of the pen and the arms out there. They have to perform of course but the talent is unquestionably there.

It will be a lot of hard throwers.

Still feel Armstrong is a real sleeper out there.

• Hooded Viper likes this
@BSLRobShields

#10 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:50 AM

Yea the Orioles and all franchises are going to lose a year of development on all prospects.  At tis point, IMO, service time is unimportant.

I think we are going to see some strange things if the season gets played.  Guys like Rutschman, Rodriquez, Hall and others may wind up on the taxi squad, so they can get at least practice time and who knows some game experience.

I am in agreement with this.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners