• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,119 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:20 AM

CBS Sports: MLB plan for 2020 season to include approximately 80 games and expanded playoffs, report says

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:26 AM

It will be real sad, if the billionaires fight with the millionaires and make this season more difficult then it alreafdy is.

@mikeghg

#3 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,791 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

Do you think they're gonna use this as a Trojan horse to push the NBAization of the post-season?  Or am I just being paranoid again?

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,119 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:58 AM

Shorter seasons, realignment, larger playoffs, universal DH in the future I believe.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:11 AM

Shorter seasons, realignment, larger playoffs, universal DH in the future I believe.

A universal DH might be the best rule change to come out of this mess, plus my idea for a 28 man roster.

I think we get the universal DH long term, my desire for a standard 28 man roster will happen in about 20 years.

@mikeghg

#6 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,791 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:15 AM

Yikes.

You're probably right.

I don't have any outrage... it mainly just makes me sad. 

Just so we're still in the same div as the MFY's and BOS, I'll roll with it.

Is there anything they could do that would push you too far?

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,119 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:19 AM

Yikes.

You're probably right.

I don't have any outrage... it mainly just makes me sad. 

Just so we're still in the same div as the MFY's and BOS, I'll roll with it.

Is there anything they could do that would push you too far?

No, I'm for all of those things. (Well, I'm ambivalent about increasing the playoff field... but the others I'm for.)

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:24 AM

No, I'm for all of those things. (Well, I'm ambivalent about increasing the playoff field... but the others I'm for.)

They are going to increase the playoff field anyway.  This just gives them a free and clear for doing it.

People are so hungry to get sports back, they will accept anything.

@mikeghg

#9 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,791 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:43 AM

Oh, I get that... what I meant to ask is, have you heard anything suggested that you think is bad for the game?  Not just the stuff you think they're gonna do...

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,119 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:51 AM

Oh, I get that... what I meant to ask is, have you heard anything suggested that you think is bad for the game?  Not just the stuff you think they're gonna do...

I'm sure Manfred is capable of some ideas I wouldn't like.  

You have something in-mind? 

I'm for Robo Umps that call the strike zone in the rule book.
I'm for pitch clocks.
I don't like HR Derby to settle ties.

I don't like putting a runner on 2nd. 
I don't like that they took crashing into the catcher out of the game.
I'm generally for outlawing the shift. 
I don't like the new rules for relievers. 

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

I'm sure Manfred is capable of some ideas I wouldn't like.  

You have something in-mind? 

I'm for Robo Umps that call the strike zone in the rule book.
I'm for pitch clocks.
I don't like HR Derby to settle ties.

I don't like putting a runner on 2nd. 
I don't like that they took crashing into the catcher out of the game.
I'm generally for outlawing the shift. 
I don't like the new rules for relievers. 

I am older, so I am not for the robo ump.  I would like them to mandate and train umps to call the strike zone in the rule book.

Agree on everything else.

I hate the fact that under the new rule a pitcher has to pitch to three batters

@mikeghg

#12 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,791 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:09 PM

I am older, so I am not for the robo ump.  I would like them to mandate and train umps to call the strike zone in the rule book.

Agree on everything else.

I hate the fact that under the new rule a pitcher has to pitch to three batters

Me too.

I'd be more sympathetic to robo-umps if they had even bothered to seriously try to fix human umps... but they haven't...

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

Me too.

I'd be more sympathetic to robo-umps if they had even bothered to seriously try to fix human umps... but they haven't...

The game works with human umps, and the strike zone can be tought.  There have been good and bad home plate umps forever.  It can be helped if they were all working under what is spelled out in the rule book.

@mikeghg

#14 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,967 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

Me too.

They absolutely have tried to fix them. Every home plate ump gets a dvd post game that is edited down so they can rewatch every pitch in a very condensed time and see how they called the game.

Most of them leave it in the trash on the way out the locker room.

On the other hand, dvd is antiquated at this point. Make an iMovie and send it to them in email. At least they can watch anytime they want since it’s in their pocket on their smartphone.

I can’t look right now but if you can find Eric Byrnes, Robo Ump, piece done by HBO sports, you can see how often the umps make the wrong call, and how dismissive the umpires they interview are that they even get one call wrong. I was on the fence, then I watched that and am 100% in the Robo ump camp.
@BSLMikeRandall

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:05 PM

They absolutely have tried to fix them. Every home plate ump gets a dvd post game that is edited down so they can rewatch every pitch in a very condensed time and see how they called the game.

On the other hand, dvd is antiquated at this point. Make an iMovie and send it to them in email. At least they can watch anytime they want since it’s in their pocket on their smartphone.

I can’t look right now but if you can find Eric Byrnes, Robo Ump, piece done by HBO sports, you can see how often the umps make the wrong call, and how dismissive the umpires they interview are that they even get one call wrong. I was on the fence, then I watched that and am 100% in the Robo ump camp.

The issue is, they have a hard time of getting veteran umps.  Guys like Joe West, Bob Davidson, CB Buckner and Angel Garcia are just not good.  But they keep coming back every year.

@mikeghg

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,816 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:08 PM

Umpire Union is strong.
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLRobShields

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,876 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

Umpire Union is strong.

Yep and that is at least part of the reason why things like enforcing the strike zone doesn't get enforced properly.

A guy like CB Buckner is awful year after year, but the union has his back.

@mikeghg

#18 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,791 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:39 PM

That's not gonna do it... it was never gonna work. 

You need to do reflex training on them... to make the connection between home-plate eyes and home-plate right-arm a much more precise and reliable thing.  It works on racing drivers and fighter pilots, there's no reason to think it wouldn't work on umps.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,119 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:43 PM

That's not gonna do it... it was never gonna work. 

You need to do reflex training on them... to make the connection between home-plate eyes and home-plate right-arm a much more precise and reliable thing.  It works on racing drivers and fighter pilots, there's no reason to think it wouldn't work on umps.

Is the reflex training for racing drivers and fighter pilots for their improvement or safety? Either way, they have a vested reason to embrace.

Umpires keep their own individual strike zones because they've been allowed to do so, and don't like being corrected. 

(Though there apparently has been more discussion / evaluation of their performance since PITCH F/X, etc.)

#20 RShack

RShack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,791 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:53 PM

Is the reflex training for racing drivers and fighter pilots for their improvement or safety? Either way, they have a vested reason to embrace.

Umpires keep their own individual strike zones because they've been allowed to do so, and don't like being corrected. 

(Though there apparently has been more discussion / evaluation of their performance since PITCH F/X, etc.)

Not really... it's just about being good at making the car do what you want without your brain being overly involved...

Example:  pylons define 3 lanes on a curved part of a race track (it could be a parking lot, it's just that a race track is where the people who do this are).... traffic light over each lane... at speed X when you're 88 ft away, either 2 or 3 of the lights turn red... if there's a green light left, the task is to go thru that lane without knocking over pylons... if all 3 turn red, the task is to stop first even if that means taking out the pylons.   

At first, nobody can do it, even proven top-notch guys, even going slower than 60 mph.  After a while, almost everybody can do it.  And, after a bunch of time goes by, they can still do it.  I read one account of a guy who had done it 3 years ago... he was driving in NYC and a huge pothole suddenly appeared with no time to react.  But he reacted without knowing he was doing it, no brain required. He was around it and by it before he clearly realized what had happened.

That's what we want out of umps re: balls and strikes.  Wire'em up with buzzers and train them.   If they don't meet thresholds for accuracy and reliability, they don't get the job.

It might go faster if they got a little shock when they missed a call, but the union probably wouldn't like that  :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners