• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:04 PM

It's also worth pointing out, that we're dealing with imperfect information here. The Ravens made their decision quickly. I think that's where they were the most wrong in this decision. I like Brockers well enough, I don't think he's worth $22 million guaranteed. 

At the start of the market, maybe Wolfe was asking for $18 mill guaranteed. Compared to $25 mill guaranteed to Brockers who was willing to come down to $22 and Wolfe wouldn't budget, that seems like a good deal particularly given Wolfe's health. From a durability and versatility perspective, I can buy in. But the market changes.

Then...3 weeks later, you've got Suh signing for 1/8 and Wolfe 1/3 guaranteed. I really struggle to see a world where the Ravens evaluation of Brockers makes him twice as valuable in guaranteed dollars as Wolfe and Suh combined. I think if the Ravens would have thought this is where the market was going to go, they would have waited. Lots of other DL that I liked as well, getting sub-$5 million deals in total. 

The criticism for me is the Ravens overplayed the market. And bailed when they saw how low the bottom of the market was. That's just an assertion not fact, but we're dealing with imperfect information. But I don't think looking back, it is at all fair to say the Ravens gauged this market for DL correctly to begin with and that they would have picked Brockers at full health over some of the deals were seeing now. 

Value hit when players didn't want to be left holding the bag with limited team interactions.  Brockers is fortunate that Fowler was lost, making the Rams desperate to retain him.  I doubt the Ravens play that type of game, as that can burn you for your entire career as a General Manager with other free agents.

@Olsen_Don

#82 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,497 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:09 PM

Yea, this is how things work every year.

Your first wave gets all the money and those left over get the scraps.
@BSLRobShields

#83 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,497 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:27 PM

Jeff Z:

Derek Wolfe said when he heard the Brockers' deal fell through w/Ravens, he called his agent and asked him to make it happen with Ravens. Wolfe said he didn't care about the $$. He wanted to be in Baltimore.

Wolfe said that he thought the Ravens were going to draft him. He said he's always been intrigued by fit in Baltimore and nearly asked Broncos GM John Elway to trade him to Baltimore before last year's deadline. However, he had too much loyalty to Denver.

Wolfe acknowledged that teams not being able to bring him into their facility to get looked at by team doctors probably affected his market.

Wolfe: "We can have the best defensive line in the league, for sure. We can break records."

Wolfe said he ate breakfast with Joe Flacco every morning last season and Flacco always told him how great the Ravens organization was.

Wolfe said he has a good idea about how the Ravens do business based off of his 2012 pre-draft visit to facility. "I'm all about it. I love it. I'm very grateful for it."

Wolfe said Elvis Dumervil has been a big brother for him and Dumervil told him he'd be a perfect fit in Baltimore.
  • BSLGabeFerguson likes this
@BSLRobShields

#84 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,497 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:27 PM

Certainly has the attitude you want to hear and see.

You also love to hear former players just constantly talking up the organization.

They really do it right.
  • Mackus likes this
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners