Photo

Balt Sun: On what was supposed to be Opening Day, here’s hoping Major League Baseball finds right way home

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,633 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:04 AM

Balt Sun: On what was supposed to be Opening Day, here’s hoping Major League Baseball finds right way home

https://www.baltimor...ted~curatedpage

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:44 AM

I had forgotten today was supposed to be opening day.   

Not sure it is the lack of excitement over the Orioles or all of the more important things going on, around us, but right now it does not bother me that baseball is on hold.

@mikeghg

#3 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,621 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:56 AM

:(
@BSLRobShields

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,434 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:18 AM

At least we can watch 2014 ALDS Game 2 today. 

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:33 PM

At least we can watch 2014 ALDS Game 2 today. 

What time

@mikeghg

#6 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 21,434 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

What time

4 PM on Orioles twitter or facebook

#7 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:25 PM

I watched that 2014 game. When Delmon stroked that first pitch, I had tears rolling down my cheek. I remembered how much I screamed at home when that happened. I remembered how I wished I was there (I had tix for Game 5 that never happened).

And then I got brought down to earth realizing that bunch only won one more game. Damned Royals.

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:20 AM

I watched that 2014 game. When Delmon stroked that first pitch, I had tears rolling down my cheek. I remembered how much I screamed at home when that happened. I remembered how I wished I was there (I had tix for Game 5 that never happened).

And then I got brought down to earth realizing that bunch only won one more game. Damned Royals.

I do not believe Camden Yards has ever been louder on than on that play.

The place literally shook as Delmon delivered and exploded as Hardy beat the throw home.   I have been to many sporting events and that was as loud as any, including the many Colt games at the old stadium and Ravens games at the new place.

@mikeghg

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,021 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:36 AM

The place literally shook as Delmon delivered and exploded as Hardy beat the throw home.   I have been to many sporting events and that was as loud as any, including the many Colt games at the old stadium and Ravens games at the new place.

Steve Blake's steal is the only moment I can ever recall where the crowd was going as crazy as the Delmon Young Double.  Arenas with the echoes get louder than open air places, so there are many basketball moments I've been present for that beat the Delmon Young Double for raw volume.  But Blake's steal is the only one that matched in pure pandemonium.  

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:33 PM

Steve Blake's steal is the only moment I can ever recall where the crowd was going as crazy as the Delmon Young Double.  Arenas with the echoes get louder than open air places, so there are many basketball moments I've been present for that beat the Delmon Young Double for raw volume.  But Blake's steal is the only one that matched in pure pandemonium.  

The Shannon Sharpe, post when the Ravens finally beat Jax was very loud too.

@mikeghg

#11 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:23 PM

I went to many games at Memorial stadium for both the Orioles and Colts.  I wasn't at the playoff game at OPACY, but it's hard to believe it eclipsed some of those games.  The Eddie chant was deafening at Memorial stadium during the 1979 playoffs and WS.  I wasn't at any Colt games during their great years of the 60's but I was told the crowd noise left ringing in your ears the rest of Sunday night. 

But without a doubt the loudest I ever heard any stadium I was in was the "Elway Sucks" chant by a sold out crowd in 1983.   That crowd was brutal.  Everytime Denver had the ball the chant started in unison.  I've seen QBs rattled by defenses and bothered by crowd noise, but never like that.  That kid had no idea what hit him.  Nobody could have been prepared for that animosity.  Even Denver HC Dan Reeves commented about it after the game.  My future father in law lived off of Argonne drive about a mile north of the stadium.  He told me that chant was perfectly clear even inside of his house that day.  Reeves eventually took Elway out and replaced him with Steve Deberg who rallied Denver for a win that day.  Once Elway left the game it was clear the energy totally left the crowd.  They were there out of hatred to harass John Elway.  But the noise level that day exceeded any sporting event or concert I ever went to.    

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:32 PM

I went to many games at Memorial stadium for both the Orioles and Colts.  I wasn't at the playoff game at OPACY, but it's hard to believe it eclipsed some of those games.  The Eddie chant was deafening at Memorial stadium during the 1979 playoffs and WS.  I wasn't at any Colt games during their great years of the 60's but I was told the crowd noise left ringing in your ears the rest of Sunday night. 

But without a doubt the loudest I ever heard any stadium I was in was the "Elway Sucks" chant by a sold out crowd in 1983.   That crowd was brutal.  Everytime Denver had the ball the chant started in unison.  I've seen QBs rattled by defenses and bothered by crowd noise, but never like that.  That kid had no idea what hit him.  Nobody could have been prepared for that animosity.  Even Denver HC Dan Reeves commented about it after the game.  My future father in law lived off of Argonne drive about a mile north of the stadium.  He told me that chant was perfectly clear even inside of his house that day.  Reeves eventually took Elway out and replaced him with Steve Deberg who rallied Denver for a win that day.  Once Elway left the game it was clear the energy totally left the crowd.  They were there out of hatred to harass John Elway.  But the noise level that day exceeded any sporting event or concert I ever went to.    

I did not miss a Colt game from 1968 until they moved after the 83 season and for sustained noise, there was nothing like the Baltimore Colt crowds at 2 PM on Sunday.   For a one time reaction, that reaction as Hardy was coming to the plate and eventually scored was intense.

The Elway game brings back memories.  Your right the hatred coming from the crowd was amazing.  We should have been booing the bastard Irsay though.

• cprenegade likes this
@mikeghg

#13 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:37 PM

I did not miss a Colt game from 1968 until they moved after the 83 season and for sustained noise, there was nothing like the Baltimore Colt crowds at 2 PM on Sunday.   For a one time reaction, that reaction as Hardy was coming to the plate and eventually scored was intense.

The Elway game brings back memories.  Your right the hatred coming from the crowd was amazing.  We should have been booing the bastard Irsay though.

If I'm not mistaken, once Denver took Elway out and they came back, didn't the crowd turn that around to be "Irsay Sucks"?   No where near as loud, but still noticeable.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners