#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:57 PM

I feel bad for Davis.  It would have been interesting to see if he could have continued his progress, as pitching ramped up and the season started.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:59 PM

I had to laugh at the question, do the Orioles have enough pitching.  Seriously??

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,071 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:53 PM

I had to laugh at the question, do the Orioles have enough pitching.  Seriously??

The answer to that question is yes. 

They will pitch 100% of the innings this year, like every other team.

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:29 PM

The answer to that question is yes. 

They will pitch 100% of the innings this year, like every other team.

I care about seeing a watchable product, so the answer is no.

@mikeghg

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,071 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:09 PM

I care about seeing a watchable product, so the answer is no.

That's a different question.  They aren't trying to win anything so quality isn't that important.

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:46 AM

That's a different question.  They aren't trying to win anything so quality isn't that important.

No matter how you look at it, they do not have enough pitching, especially starters, and that lack of starters IMO hurts development.

Running, a rotation largely made up of minor league quality hurts the development of the younger players.  The young talent they have in the pen, is going to be overworked.  

Nope, not enough pitching

@mikeghg

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,071 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:12 AM

No matter how you look at it, they do not have enough pitching, especially starters, and that lack of starters IMO hurts development.

Running, a rotation largely made up of minor league quality hurts the development of the younger players.  The young talent they have in the pen, is going to be overworked.  

Nope, not enough pitching

How you and I look at the season doesn't really matter. 

They are looking at the season as another opportunity to get a top pick.  They actually want to be bad, so having a performance challenged rotation is good for what they want.

They will slow play the top starters through this season.

It's likely we wind up with a rotation that looks like (if everyone has reasonable development-1SP), by the end of the season....Means, Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Baumann.

Those guys stay in their development paths and who cares who eats the innings around them.  Someone will.  Some combination of all of the guys we've seen.  Milone, LeBlanc, Wojo, Stewart, Ynoa, Brooks, anyone, it doesn't matter.  It might be Wilkerson. Or someone released by the Phillies or Ed Jackson wants another 15 innings.  

They will have enough pitching to complete the season. That is a 100% guarantee. 

They do not have enough pitching to compete this season, but hey, they aren't trying to so....

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,749 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:18 AM

How you and I look at the season doesn't really matter. 

They are looking at the season as another opportunity to get a top pick.  They actually want to be bad, so having a performance challenged rotation is good for what they want.

They will slow play the top starters through this season.

It's likely we wind up with a rotation that looks like (if everyone has reasonable development-1SP), by the end of the season....Means, Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Baumann.

Those guys stay in their development paths and who cares who eats the innings around them.  Someone will.  Some combination of all of the guys we've seen.  Milone, LeBlanc, Wojo, Stewart, Ynoa, Brooks, anyone, it doesn't matter.  It might be Wilkerson. Or someone released by the Phillies or Ed Jackson wants another 15 innings.  

They will have enough pitching to complete the season. That is a 100% guarantee. 

They do not have enough pitching to compete this season, but hey, they aren't trying to so....

Of course they will have enough innings to get through what ever type season we have.  There is a difference between innings and pitching.

My issue, besides being an unwatchable product, like the last 2.5 years were, IMO, starters not being able to get through 5-6 innings, hurts the development of the entire team, most notably over used relievers.

@mikeghg

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,071 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:44 AM

Of course they will have enough innings to get through what ever type season we have.  

OK, then we 'have enough pitching'.

There is a difference between innings and pitching.

My issue, besides being an unwatchable product, like the last 2.5 years were, IMO, starters not being able to get through 5-6 innings, hurts the development of the entire team, most notably over used relievers.

They aren't going to do anything to hurt the guys that matter.  Harvey isn't going to be asked to pitch 100 innings out of the pen.  If guys workloads get to a certain level, they'll send them down and call up a different arm.  They'll do a good/reasonable job of tracking development innings for these guys.  They'll err on the side of good for the player.  They'll still complete all of the innings somehow.

I want to compete.

You and Mackus want a more watchable product.

Everyone else is OK with losing....so quality of the team does't really matter.  Some will want to candy wrap that, but it is what it is.  

I mean, we could have had a rotation of Price, Kluber, Bundy, Means, Cobb.

• Mackus likes this

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,021 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:07 AM

I want to compete I just don't think it's possible to be even within eyeshot of competitive without doing lots of things that will make it harder to compete in 3- or 5-years.  So, barring that, I'll settle for being not abysmal.  I don't think any of the things it takes to go from unwatchable to not abysmal cost us any percentile chances for competition down the road.

#12 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,071 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

The question posed by Dubroff in the article was about the limited innings starters have pulled in ST and (I guess) the implied consequences on the season.

Everyone wants to compete.  Not everyone wants to compete this year. Peoples have different definitions of what any of that means.

Context matters for the answer to a question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners