Photo

ESPN: Thirteen feet, 940 pounds of run-stopping: Ravens' defensive rebuild starts up front

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,515 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:13 PM

If they didn't like any ILB options, I'd have saved the cap and added CB depth instead. 

I'd rather have Jimmy Smith back in that case over Brockers. 

But it's a fallacy to say they didn't like any ILBs, we just don't know that either way. But if they didn't like any of them, sure, let him walk. 

Well we know it’s a position of need, that they had the money to sign anyone and they haven’t yet. Seems pretty clear what that indicates.

And they still want and can sign Smith. They are letting him test his market first.
@BSLRobShields

#22 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:14 PM

Chris Canty is my response to this BTW. Similar player to Brockers, one year older when the Ravens signed him. Signed for 3/8. Similar QB hits, sacks, TFL's. Similar size, Canty was 6'7'' 315 Brockers is 6'5'' 305. Obviously that's a different salary cap but Canty in today's market at that age wouldn't get 3/30 either. 

My issue here is that I think we overpaid for this type of player. I'd rather have Lawrence Guy or someone like him when he signed a 4/13.5 with the Pats. 5-tech, verastile DE/Dts are rarely 10 mill AAV players both on the market and in impact they give you on the field. 

Go find a guy like that and save the cap space for something else or even for Stanely/Humphrey. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#23 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:15 PM

Well we know it’s a position of need, that they had the money to sign anyone and they haven’t yet. Seems pretty clear what that indicates.

And they still want and can sign Smith. They are letting him test his market first.

Remains to be seen if they can. My guess is prices out of the market and they have to go for a lesser guy.

Heck, I'd rather have kept Carr than signed Brockers on an extended deal to play out his career here. 

Obviously, the possiblities here are still somewhat endless. Lots of ways to go. And I'm happy with that flexiblity. I think they could have more and a lesser player that contributes 80% as much at 40% the cost. 

#24 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,515 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:18 PM

If Smith doesn’t sign here, it will have zero to do with Brockers, Campbell or any other deal they do.

It will be right player, right price..just as it always is.

It’s a deep corner draft. Teams may not pay up for Smith.
@BSLRobShields

#25 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

My position is that Smith's deal exceeds our cap space which is by virtue affected by the Brockers deal. If we can get him back, I'll feel better about the Brockers deal but I think the cap effect next year is also not worth it, either...but we will see. 

#26 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,515 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

My position is that Smith's deal exceeds our cap space which is by virtue affected by the Brockers deal. If we can get him back, I'll feel better about the Brockers deal but I think the cap effect next year is also not worth it, either...but we will see. 

Your position is wrong.
@BSLRobShields

#27 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:51 PM

Honestly dude, we just don't know yet. I could be. I, in fact, said that in my post if I am, I won't be as upset about Brockers if I'm wrong about it.

Congrats you're right. You always have been. No one contests that. (I'm not even saying that I am right...just articulating my position and why). 

• bmore_ken likes this

#28 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,515 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:55 PM

No, it’s a fact your position is wrong.

The Ravens are 10ishM under the cap right now.

They have stated, from the beginning, that they want Smith back but they want him to see his market first.

Since signing Brockers, Jeff Z has reported they still have the same mindset.

What the team won’t do, regardless of any signing, is pay him an amount they aren’t comfortable with.

So, if some team goes to that level, the Ravens wouldn’t have signed him either way.

That’s the point you seem to be missing.
@BSLRobShields

#29 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,515 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

Btw, no issue with the thought you would rather see them spend money differently.

However, I think you are overlooking how big of a need the DLine is.
@BSLRobShields

#30 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

No, it’s a fact your position is wrong.

The Ravens are 10ishM under the cap right now.

They have stated, from the beginning, that they want Smith back but they want him to see his market first.

Since signing Brockers, Jeff Z has reported they still have the same mindset.

What the team won’t do, regardless of any signing, is pay him an amount they aren’t comfortable with.

So, if some team goes to that level, the Ravens wouldn’t have signed him either way.

That’s the point you seem to be missing.

What do you think's Smith's deal would look like on the open market? 

#31 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,515 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:18 PM

What do you think's Smith's deal would look like on the open market? 

I think that's a great question.  I would guess he will have an AAV in the 9ishM range.

Something like 2-3 years for 16-30M(depending on the years) with 10-18M guaranteed.

@BSLRobShields

#32 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:42 PM

So if it's $30 mill with $18 guaranteed. You're either cap strapped this year or next. Honestly, I think he gets that and we won't match. 

Trufant just got 2/21 with $14 guaranteed. So I could see Smith getting $14 guaranteed at least over a 3-year deal. 

I could see him ending up with the Jets...

#33 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,515 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:43 PM

So if it's $30 mill with $18 guaranteed. You're either cap strapped this year or next. Honestly, I think he gets that and we won't match. 

Trufant just got 2/21 with $14 guaranteed. So I could see Smith getting $14 guaranteed at least over a 3-year deal. 

I could see him ending up with the Jets...

And again, I don't think that has anything to do with any signing they have made.

I think they have a price they are willing to go to and if he gets more than that, so be it.

@BSLRobShields

#34 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:54 PM

I'll put it this way, both our statements are true. J. Smith's market value can be above the Ravens desired price fit. And J. Smith's value can also be over our cap limit even if we think it's worth it. I don't see them as mutually exclusive. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners