Photo

ESPN: Thirteen feet, 940 pounds of run-stopping: Ravens' defensive rebuild starts up front

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,709 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:48 AM

https://www.espn.com...uilding-project
@BSLRobShields

#2 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:18 PM

This is misleading, weight is kind of meaningless. If the argument is that we're more talented, great. (I agree that we are because Campbell is a big upgrade over Wormley.) 

Campbell and Brockers are 305 and 300. Pierce and Wormley were 309 and 290. So the net is 5 more pounds of defensive lineman. 

In fact, Peko was 325 and Ellis is 330. So if we don't replace Peko with a 300+ pound guy, Daylon Mack was 340. So the priority obviously has always been on bulk for the Ravens. Even berfore these FA signings, IMO. 

#3 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:24 PM

For the record, gap control, sideline speed, and missed tackles, all mostly at the LB level were the issues with the Ravens run defense last year, IMO. To date, those issues have not been addressed and without Bynes on the roster currently stand as worse. 

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,829 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 March 2020 - 01:44 PM

For the record, gap control, sideline speed, and missed tackles, all mostly at the LB level were the issues with the Ravens run defense last year, IMO. To date, those issues have not been addressed and without Bynes on the roster currently stand as worse. 

I think the Ravens will target the line backing group heavily in the draft.  

I also think, that the front makes it more likely that the backers will get the job done.  The front 7 is a work in progress, but progress is being made.

@mikeghg

#5 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 03:03 PM

I think the Ravens will target the line backing group heavily in the draft.  

I also think, that the front makes it more likely that the backers will get the job done.  The front 7 is a work in progress, but progress is being made.

It's interesting to me that when I say we can go D-Line in the draft and we should get it done you say trusting to draft guys isn't smart. But when you're saying it for ILB it has more weight, I think you're vastly more likely to find a DL that can contribute successfully right away than an ILB.

My point here though was bulk wasn't our issue on our D-Line and gap control from our up front guys wasn't the issue in run defense last year. So I don't really get why the article was titled to imply that we were small last year when we were 935 pounds heavy. 

#6 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:16 PM

I agree 100% with this. I love the moves along the dline. But the LBer group was the main problem. They need to address that if they want to fix the run defense.

#7 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:03 PM

I agree 100% with this. I love the moves along the dline. But the LBer group was the main problem. They need to address that if they want to fix the run defense.

The front office moves seem to suggest they like the LB talent in the draft better than the DL.  If they draft Murray or Queen and bring in a veteran (Bynes again, maybe?) to show the rook the ropes, it could work...

#8 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 11:21 PM

The front office moves seem to suggest they like the LB talent in the draft better than the DL.  If they draft Murray or Queen and bring in a veteran (Bynes again, maybe?) to show the rook the ropes, it could work...

That's how I see it. The Ravens need to develop a stud linebacker in the middle to set the character of the defense into the future, and I think they're much better off drafting for it than trying to buy it on the FA market. A first round pick is definitely worth spending on this. And think of how exciting an opportunity that would be for either Queen or Murray to step into, a path to being a star for sure if they make it happen.

#9 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 10:33 AM

I'll just add that the notion that the Ravens are a team that wants to solve an entire position (because ILB is our biggest weakness) via the draft is so un-Raven like, I don't know what to tell you guys. 

When we drafted Mosley we still had Daryl Smith. Even if Queen or Murray are as good as Mosley, the drop off from thinking about Smith to Fort is huge. 

I'm stunned by fans willingness to overlook the ILB position from the front office when it was clearly the biggest mistake of the offseason last year, too...

#10 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:13 PM

I'll just add that the notion that the Ravens are a team that wants to solve an entire position (because ILB is our biggest weakness) via the draft is so un-Raven like, I don't know what to tell you guys. 

When we drafted Mosley we still had Daryl Smith. Even if Queen or Murray are as good as Mosley, the drop off from thinking about Smith to Fort is huge. 

I'm stunned by fans willingness to overlook the ILB position from the front office when it was clearly the biggest mistake of the offseason last year, too...

Yes, it was a mistake to ignore the ILB position last year.   Peanut is not Mosley.  But after the Browns game in Week 4, when they signed Fort and Bynes, I thought the Ravens were fine at ILB.  I wouldn't say it was a position of strength, but they were competent.  While I'll agree that Daryl Smith, when the Ravens signed him, was better than Fort or Bynes, I don't think the drop off as is steep as you are making it sound.  If the Ravens bring back Bynes (or a similar vet) and use their top pick on a guy like Murray or Queen, that would be far better than the situation at the beginning of last season.  The addition of massive, athletic D-lineman will help the young LBs make the most of their sideline-to-sideliine speed.

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,829 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:15 PM

I think a little patience is needed here.  Smith got signed near training camp, if memory serves.

@mikeghg

#12 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:24 PM

Their two big $ moves being on DL indicate they don't think there's deep DL talent in the draft.  I'm not saying they are definitely going ILB high in the draft, but it does seem to make a certain amount of sense.  There are guys that would be a good fit that should be available where the Ravens pick.

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,709 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:30 PM

Who is willing to overlook ILB?

Are you just making stuff up now?
@BSLRobShields

#14 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:38 PM

Who is willing to overlook ILB?

Are you just making stuff up now?

The Ravens defintiely did last year. That's who I meant. DeCosta really botched ILB last year. 

Not talking about other posters, talking about the history of DeCosta as GM. 

#15 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,709 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:40 PM

The Ravens defintiely did last year. That's who I meant. DeCosta really botched ILB last year. 

Not talking about other posters, talking about the history of DeCosta as GM. 

Yea he botched it all the way to a 14-2 record.

No team is going to be perfect at every position.

Agree they overestimated what they had last year but they did “fix it” as the season went on.

@BSLRobShields

#16 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:51 PM

Yea he botched it all the way to a 14-2 record.

No team is going to be perfect at every position.

Agree they overestimated what they had last year but they did “fix it” as the season went on.

I didn't say they weren't good or he was wrong or they didn't fix it. Just saying, last year, the offseason assessment of ILB was really poor. It makes me question their plan right now for this year. 

I think that's a pretty fair position given how last year played out. 

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,709 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:55 PM

I didn't say they weren't good or he was wrong or they didn't fix it. Just saying, last year, the offseason assessment of ILB was really poor. It makes me question their plan right now for this year.

I think that's a pretty fair position given how last year played out.

Yes, an organization with a long standing tradition of being excellent evaluators of ILB talent should definitely not be given the benefit of the doubt because of one offseason.

100% agree!
@BSLRobShields

#18 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

I mean look, I'm not saying fire DeCosta. 

I am meh on the Brockers signing due to the cap allocation to DL (not an area of impact defensively) and think our ILB situation is pretty ugly right now.

Frankly, ILB is our only weakness. I'm a bit surprised we went heavy in one place instead of spreading out in more, so we could be more true BPA when the draft came. 

Acting like DeCosta can't take criticism because we went 14-2 and that I don't like one specific deal, isn't me saying I don't like him, he's bad or the Ravens are bad. Nor is it me saying the sky is falling. Or the Ravens aren't serious Super Bowl Conteders or that we can't have a top 5 defense depending on how the draft goes. 

Shrug, I'm not being melodramatic about the whole Ravens offseason, as a whole I like what they've done. They've just left me pretty surprised in a few areas, that's all...

Still high on this team for the next 3 years and the one thing I do like about Brockers deal is that it's only 3 years and they can get out in 2 if they need to. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,709 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:08 PM

Should they have signed an ILB they didn’t like just because?
@BSLRobShields

#20 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,338 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 01:10 PM

Should they have signed an ILB they didn’t like just because?

If they didn't like any ILB options, I'd have saved the cap and added CB depth instead. 

I'd rather have Jimmy Smith back in that case over Brockers. 

But it's a fallacy to say they didn't like any ILBs, we just don't know that either way. But if they didn't like any of them, sure, let him walk. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners