#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

As always, a good read. As with everything else in the sports world the transfer season is on hold.  I am not sure whether this is good or bad for Maryland.  I do think the next 2 years, are the most important for Turgeon.  If it turns out that he is relying too much on transfers, he may be elsewhere sooner than later.

@mikeghg

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 119,927 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:05 PM

College Hoops Today / Jon Rothstein: Preseason Edition: Early Rothstein 45 for 20-21
https://collegehoops...n-45-for-20-21/

44. Maryland

Eric Ayala
Darryl Morsell
Aaron Wiggins
Donta Scott
Ricky Lindo

Key Losses: Anthony Cowan, Jalen Smith

Key Newcomers: Marcus Dockery

Projected Bench: Chol Marial, Serrel Smith, Hakim Hart, Joshua Tomaic, Marcus Dockery

NBA Watch: Jalen Smith (expected to leave)

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive
  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:18 PM

Ill be surprised if they are good enough to be on the bubble.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 119,927 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 06:24 PM

Gotta see what other turnover and additions there are first. 

They've got pieces where it wouldn't shock me if they were a Top 5 Big Ten, Top 25 team....  but they've also got weaknesses where I can see the argument for them struggling to stay on the bubble. 

I saw IMS has an article behind their paywall, talking about Lindo.  I hope he stays.  He stepped back this year, but he's a usable athletic big.  Would suck to lose him from the rotation, especially when you are already expecting to lose Marial.

• Mike B likes this

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:08 PM

I expect Turgeon to add a transfer or two or maybe bring a foreign player into the system, because he always does.  If they can contribute right away, I think they can be a border line top 25 team.  I do not expect Marial back and do not think it is that big of a deal if he leaves.

I hope Lindo stays, but I suspect, that Turgeon burying him, this year, may cause him to leave.

@mikeghg

#7 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:36 PM

Hart, Tomiac and Lindo, I do not expect back.

Marine Corps Sniper...One Shot One Kill

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 March 2020 - 09:34 AM

Hart, Tomiac and Lindo, I do not expect back.

Do you have some inside info?

Hart seemed to be a red shirt candidate, before the season, so he probably got more minutes then he figured.

Lindo is the one that would be missed.  IMO, he was under used in this past season.  He would start now.

Tomaic, it probably does not matter if he stays or goes, and I am not sure if he is an early grad, and transfer candidate but he has hung in this long at Maryland.  Maybe he could go to a mid major and have a better role.

Except for Lindo, the other two could be upgraded with grads and players in the transfer portal.

@mikeghg

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:20 PM

IMS has a behind-the-paywall article about "Another expected to leave?" The chatter is that Morsell is set to graduate after this spring, and might be looking at other options after that (whether that's going pro, or playing at another school as a grad transfer is anyone's guess at this point).

If he comes back to MD, he would figure to be one of the top scoring options next season, and could boost his NBA stock a bit. Hard to say how things look for him going pro now, with having missed out on the post-season and pretty much the entire NBA draft process in flux right now.

In other news, Columbia transfer Patrick Tape is going to Duke, so that's one frontcourt hopeful we can scratch off the list for next season.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,621 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:22 PM

I'd be really bummed if Morsell is a grad transfer. Him not being around next year has not been on my radar.

Congrats and good work by him to graduate in 3 years, though.

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:50 PM

IMS has a behind-the-paywall article about "Another expected to leave?" The chatter is that Morsell is set to graduate after this spring, and might be looking at other options after that (whether that's going pro, or playing at another school as a grad transfer is anyone's guess at this point).

If he comes back to MD, he would figure to be one of the top scoring options next season, and could boost his NBA stock a bit. Hard to say how things look for him going pro now, with having missed out on the post-season and pretty much the entire NBA draft process in flux right now.

In other news, Columbia transfer Patrick Tape is going to Duke, so that's one frontcourt hopeful we can scratch off the list for next season.

Bad news on both fronts.  I figured Morsell would be the senior leader next year.   

@mikeghg

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 119,927 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:12 PM

Losing Morsell would be a disaster. 

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:03 PM

Losing Morsell would be a disaster. 

Yep...the only reason for him to leave would be disenchantment with the program, which would not speak well of Turgeon.

@mikeghg

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,621 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:12 PM

Yep...the only reason for him to leave would be disenchantment with the program, which would not speak well of Turgeon.

Or wanting to spend his last season somewhere with a greater chance of having a terrific season. I don't think Morsell graduating and leaving for his final year necessarily must be for reasons that would reflect poorly on Turgeon. Certainly could be though. It'd be a bummer to lose him.

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

Losing Morsell, Cowan and Sticks, would make the team a very bad one.

@mikeghg

#16 BSLPatDonohue

BSLPatDonohue

Terps Analyst

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:02 PM

BSL: Terps Basketball: Scouting The Transfer Market
https://www.baltimor...ransfer-market/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:09 AM

BSL: Terps Basketball: Scouting The Transfer Market
https://www.baltimor...ransfer-market/

Good stuff,  the pickings seem slim for bigs.  However, I would push for the best of the shooting guards on the list, and play a pick and pop game, and run as much as possible.  

If we are going to have a challenging year, let's make it an entertaining team, and make some of the bigger teams chase.

@mikeghg

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,621 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:12 AM

Hah. Mike I think you're tilting at the same windmills Stoner always does! Turgeon will never run and play uptempo.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#19 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,757 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

Hah. Mike I think you're tilting at the same windmills Stoner always does! Turgeon will never run and play uptempo.

I know, that is what I would do.    Wonder if I can get the job.  I would work cheap :-P

@mikeghg

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 119,927 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:16 AM

245 in Adjusted Tempo this year. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners