#141 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,494 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:50 AM

We're arguing over replacement parts, I believe the Ravens roster is in fairly good shape.

Losing Brockers puts a dent in the plans, but you could sign one run stuffer types (Snack's Harrison) for $.33 on the dollar, and some I mentioned earlier may be in the 2-3 million range.  Maybe entice Peko back to a 2.3 million deal that would only count 1.04 million against their cap.

Edge rush is a need, but I do think a player of Calais Campbell does prop up the entire line.

I wouldn’t think a guy like Snacks is high on their list because it kicks Williams out of NT on a regular basis, unless you are just getting him for a part time role.

That seemed to be a reason they moved on from Pierce to Brockers because of that.
  • Filmstudy likes this
@BSLRobShields

#142 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 370 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:54 AM

I wouldn’t think a guy like Snacks is high on their list because it kicks Williams out of NT on a regular basis, unless you are just getting him for a part time role.

That seemed to be a reason they moved on from Pierce to Brockers because of that.

I agree, my first thought was "There is some options left on the market that might be a lot cheaper.  Timmy Jerrigan, Christian Covington, Shelby Harris, Xavier Williams, or Margus Hunt."

I think Xavier Williams and Shelby Harris make some sense.

@Olsen_Don

#143 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,329 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:03 AM

If we'e going to go depth on the DL with the signing, I'd go with Derek Wolfe, personally. 

#144 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,752 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:22 AM

The Ravens will make additional moves which gives us all something to talk and argue about in this suspension of all sports.

@mikeghg

#145 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:34 AM

Oh Everson Griffen. Meh. Less interested in him. Unless the market really bottoms out on him. I feel similarly to him as paying decent money to as I did Brockers. 

He had 70 pressures last season for the Vikings. He's not young, but is still a very good pass-rusher.

If we'e going to go depth on the DL with the signing, I'd go with Derek Wolfe, personally. 

Wolfe is probably the ideal replacement for Brockers as a DE/DT type.

• BSLJordanKough likes this
@gabefergy

#146 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,329 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:57 AM

He's an edge guy though, right? Less of the 3 or 4 tech down DL? 

I'm surprised by those numbers, I'd be OK if they move on from Judon, and replace him jointly with Griffen and Wolfe and nab a 2nd. 

#147 Steve55

Steve55

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:04 PM

Getting a physical on Wolfe after his injury last season is a hold up.

#148 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:23 PM

He's an edge guy though, right? Less of the 3 or 4 tech down DL? 

I'm surprised by those numbers, I'd be OK if they move on from Judon, and replace him jointly with Griffen and Wolfe and nab a 2nd. 

Yeah, he's an Edge, but I think at this point I would be looking for best DL talent regardless of position. DT in particular I am perfectly okay with not spending money on if you are looking for a guy that be a rotational run defender.

@gabefergy

#149 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:30 PM

Whoever is chosen, they play the 5 technique and just find that on the street to stuff the run and no need to set the edge. 

Pierce did that job, but got winded after a middle of the road sustain offensive drive.  if they had a drive that went 4 or 5 first downs, he was barely on the field physically.  He had absolutely no stamina what so ever, constantly out of shape the last two years when he was playing for pay day.  Find an upgrade to whoever has a constant motor.  This is what made Brockers attractive to slightly overpay for a 5 technique.  Maybe Wolfe fits that definition at this stage of his career, as do some other players listed. 

The player that signs should be under the 3 million in ring chasing deal, or prove it deal.  Use the other funding available to gain an edge rusher or offensive guard, limit the need to tool positions with rookies because expect a short offseason to get they acclimated to the professional game.

@Olsen_Don

#150 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,329 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

Interesting, I thought they'd use Brockers more in the 3-tech than the 5-tech. And in those formations the outside edge guy was going to be Campbell. Obviously losts of ways to go. I want a guy that can play more 3-tech though. 

Though having watched a lot of the defensive snaps recently, Pierce played zero 5-tech over the 10 or so games I watched, so I'm thinking you might have meant something different. 

Generally speaking, I agree with your point of view here though. 

#151 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 02:23 PM

Interesting, I thought they'd use Brockers more in the 3-tech than the 5-tech. And in those formations the outside edge guy was going to be Campbell. Obviously losts of ways to go. I want a guy that can play more 3-tech though. 

Though having watched a lot of the defensive snaps recently, Pierce played zero 5-tech over the 10 or so games I watched, so I'm thinking you might have meant something different. 

Generally speaking, I agree with your point of view here though. 

I believe that you may see Campbell play 4 technique (much like last season in Jacksonville) or true 6 or 7 technique with Judon 2 point stance in the same space on the strong side, more of a 4-3 look, but in 3-4 packages.  It will be a weird blend at times with the personnel groupings because of Campbell ability to play 3 tech to 7 tech.  

What will be interesting, they might run a cross strong side alignment and the QB will indicate to the Mike, who is actually the Will.  This is where stunting becomes highly effective.

I think Campbell can allow Judon to take on more of the roles that Terrell Suggs commanded in a hybrid DLE (DE/OLB role) compared to his responsibilities being OLB to date.  He had off ball in weak side packages without Suggs on the roster because he was required to take snaps at the speed rush side w/ or w/o strong side assignments.   With Campbell, you actually can allow to have Judon take on more power rush side responsibilities that fits his ability.  Same is true for Jaylon Ferguson....but it would be nice to see a high motor 1-4 tech along with Campbell, Ferguson, and Judon in third down sub packages. 

• BSLJordanKough and BSLGabeFerguson like this
@Olsen_Don

#152 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,329 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 03:09 PM

Yeah if Ferguson is as good on the edge as you've indicated once he get his feet under him, he seems like the better strong side guy due to his strength. But I agree, Judon would be better in that role, too. 

The Ravens interest in edge probably is built on their perception and use of Ferguson. With Bowser and Ward you've got enough other guys to rotate and to go to racecar when you need to and Campbell means you only need three rushers in those circumstances if you can leave him on the field. 

Should be some fun stuff out there for the Ravens to do this year. 

#153 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,494 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:25 AM

https://twitter.com/...2136868865?s=21

One possible replacement goes away on a cheap deal.
@BSLRobShields

#154 Steve55

Steve55

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:39 AM

https://twitter.com/...2136868865?s=21

One possible replacement goes away on a cheap deal.

You never know. The Ravens may have wanted a 2-3 yr deal but he wanted to bet on himself and hit the market again next year.

#155 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,494 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:43 AM

You never know. The Ravens may have wanted a 2-3 yr deal but he wanted to bet on himself and hit the market again next year.

According to PFF, he has graded out well but he doesn’t play a lot of snaps and there is some doubt he can handle a larger workload and be as productive.

The Ravens May want someone they feel would be a better bet to play more snaps and be productive, if they agree with the that assessment.

But this is a guy who is about to be 29 and isn’t a known name. You would figure he would want the most he can get. Just guessing he wasn’t on the Ravens radar.
@BSLRobShields

#156 Steve55

Steve55

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 11:19 AM

I did see a PFT story about Brockers where he has signed his contract whereas Floyd & Robinson have not. It stated the Rams don't have the cap space for all 3.

#157 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,329 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:21 PM

https://www.espn.com...signings-steals

This is a good summary of some short term one year deals that were good. I'm surprised Suh wasn't on this list. I also really like Maelik Collins. 

I think it goes to show how much the Ravens were committed to moving Williams back to more exclusive NT. 

#158 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:21 PM

http://www.nfl.com/n...xed-ravens-deal

Roll Tide

#159 Filmstudy

Filmstudy
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationSection 153

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:15 AM

I'd be interested to see the number of snaps the Ravens took with Pierce and Williams on the field together. My guess is that it wasn't more than 10 per game. And 5 of those being goal line or jumbo dictated packages. I could be wrong and they played a lot more together but I don't each other's presence had that significant of an impact due to the highly rotational implementation of the Ravens defense. 

Pierce and Williams played 260 snaps together in 2019, including penalties (not my normal definition).

#160 Filmstudy

Filmstudy
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationSection 153

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:27 AM

In a 3-4 defense, one of the DL comes off for a DB with the OLBs moving to DE so you get a 4-2-5.

Of course with Wink there are a lot of variations, they did some 3-3-5 and they actually played a lot of dime as well with either 1 or 2 DL on the field. 

This is on the money.  I just put together a video with number on each defensive package if folks are interested:

https://filmstudybal...s-that-defense/

Martindale made some extreme adaptations defensively to address weaknesses.  In particular, the Ravens played 82 snaps (8.5%) of jumbo nickel (3-3-5 nickel) as compared to just 102 snaps of base (10.6%) in 17 games.  The 5-tech position has all but gone away in the NFL (you only use it with base, jumbo, and jumbo nickel packages) with the prevalence of nickel, so players like Wolfe, who are a little small to play 3-tech against power teams, still play most of their snaps as a 3-tech. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Hooded Viper like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners