#7721 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,831 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted Today, 11:18 AM

One of my friends is an ump for these all-day baseball tourneys. The crap that he takes from parents (that are almost certainly some level of inebriated) is incredible, and I'm surprised that he has that level of restraint.

Some parents deserve to get embarrassed in front of their kids with a fist to the gut. I'm just saying.

No doubt.

No issues with having fun and drinking some beers during these all day tourneys.

But when you turn into a belligerent ass, you deserve to get knocked out.

#7722 RShack

RShack

http://tinyurl.com/fake-news-BS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,537 posts

Posted Today, 11:23 AM

It’s very tough when you have told businesses that they can’t make money and then tell them, well now you can make some money but you can’t make too much, so turn it away.

It’s a tough ask.

For businesses that don't care about the health of their customers and staff, yes it is... which is why there needs to be big-time penalties for those those that don't do it properly... having that in place that makes their decision much easier...

"You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at.

You have no faith to lose, and ya know it" - Bob Dylan

#7723 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,392 posts

Posted Today, 11:49 AM

Seems to me people could still distance at sporting events if they wanted to. Problem is they don’t want to..

100%.  It's really not difficult at all.  If it means my kids still get to play I'm fine with going totally spectator-less.  The kids would probably enjoy that more anyway.

Jeremy, Rob and others are right, especially at the travel level it's a social thing for the parents as much as it is about the kids.  That brings out the worst in some parents for sure.  Many of them are100% living vicariously through their kids, which is sad both for parent and child.

And I don't really have beef with people that want to drink a little alcohol at these events, but totally getting hammered in front of your kids and their friends - just not a good example to set IMO.  But I'll be the first to admit I'm a prude when it comes to that sort of thing.

#7724 russsnyder

russsnyder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted Today, 12:10 PM

One of my good friends gets hammered with the parents at these all day tourneys.

They have developed a lot of long term/life long friends out of it.

Hard to regulate that too.

As long as he doesn't get the kids drunk, drive while drunk, or get obnoxious with the umps ( I guess I could let the ump thing slide. JK) I'm good with it. It is hard to regulate what people have in their cups.

#7725 russsnyder

russsnyder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted Today, 12:22 PM

100%. It's really not difficult at all. If it means my kids still get to play I'm fine with going totally spectator-less. The kids would probably enjoy that more anyway.

Jeremy, Rob and others are right, especially at the travel level it's a social thing for the parents as much as it is about the kids. That brings out the worst in some parents for sure. Many of them are100% living vicariously through their kids, which is sad both for parent and child.

And I don't really have beef with people that want to drink a little alcohol at these events, but totally getting hammered in front of your kids and their friends - just not a good example to set IMO. But I'll be the first to admit I'm a prude when it comes to that sort of thing.

I doubt that youth sporting events will be spectator less. Someone needs to bring the kids to and from the event the majority of the time. On field officials have enough to do without worrying about if spectators are social distancing or not. It does come down to the spectators when it comes to social distancing. I watch most youth league games from a distance anyway. I can't stand it when parents coach their kids from the stands. Let them play.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

mweb08, weird-O, russsnyder, glenn__davis