#1 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:25 AM

BSL: https://www.baltimor...ravens-options/

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision. But I trust whatever direction the Ravens brass decides to go. Matching Za'Darius Smith deal from Green Bay, assigning either of the two tags, I think I'd be okay with. 

Deep dive into the numbers, and comps with other free agent pass rushers to be fro a pass rush standpoint. 

• BSLChrisStoner and Ricker Says like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,970 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:31 AM

The tag option may be gone.
@BSLRobShields

#3 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

The tag option may be gone.

Why?

@BSLMikeRandall

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,970 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

Why?

New CBA may get rid of it as soon as this offseason, if signed by Mid March
@BSLRobShields

#5 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:30 PM

New CBA may get rid of it as soon as this offseason, if signed by Mid March

Ah. I feel like that would be something that would take effect next year if they get it done. Because this is still the 2019 league year until March 18th. Tags have to be assigned by the March 10th. Teams can start tagging in five days. Teams are strategizing how to allocate money. It'd throw a wrench into the plans if they took it away effective immediately. I could see if they signed it and have it take effect on March 18th when the new league year starts. Then the players that are tagged remain tagged because they were tagged under the old CBA. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,970 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

Ah. I feel like that would be something that would take effect next year if they get it done. Because this is still the 2019 league year until March 18th. Tags have to be assigned by the March 10th. Teams can start tagging in five days. Teams are strategizing how to allocate money. It'd throw a wrench into the plans if they took it away effective immediately. I could see if they signed it and have it take effect on March 18th when the new league year starts. Then the players that are tagged remain tagged because they were tagged under the old CBA.

What was reported is if it’s signed before March 18, the tags won’t be used in 2020. Graziano reported it.
@BSLRobShields

#7 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:49 PM

What was reported is if it’s signed before March 18, the tags won’t be used in 2020. Graziano reported it.

Thats interesting. 

Theoretically the Ravens could place one of the tags on Judon this Tuesday. On March 17th they could sign the new CBA, and the next day Judon is testing the FA market, which by that time teams have already been negotiating with players for three or four days leading up to. Judon could be stuck without leverage to deal if other teams land the pass rushers they want that aren't tagged. Seems like it could be a disservice to guys who get tagged if they wait til the last minute to sign the CBA. He could be going from getting $16.2M, or $14M in base salary from one of the tags, to getting a longer deal, but perhaps a contract with less guaranteed money. 

If thats the case they should have made the date like March 1st. So if the tags are removed, teams can deal, re-plan their financial strategy and players can negotiate before the league opens again 18 days later.

@BSLMikeRandall

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,970 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

I think the only way the Ravens tag him is if they have a trade worked out.
@BSLRobShields

#9 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,162 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

I think the only way the Ravens tag him is if they have a trade worked out.

If they are this close, I wonder if there are instructions from owners from all teams not to tag. I guess we'll see in 5 days. 

I also wonder if tags are used if that would adversely affect a player vote, so there is extra incentive to try and not use them before the vote is final, knowing players don't want them.

Alternately, it seems the owners vote wasn't unamious, so if that's the case perhaps an owner who was against it, might authorize the appropriate use of the tag, too. 

#10 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,162 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

Also, if there is no tag. Actually that's the best case scenario for the Ravens. 

Go get Ngakoue or Barrett. I'd take both over Judon, seemed like we couldn't even bid on them due to the tag. We'd actually be better off with no tag, now that I'm thinking about it. 

• Ricker Says likes this

#11 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:16 PM

If there are no tags the expectation is that it will result in more bidding wars and higher contracts.  I doubt the Ravens will get involved in that for any of the top players.  They have always been smarter than that.  Most likely they follow form, wait out the first few days, and deal with what is left for more bargain prices.   

#12 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:34 PM

If the tag option is not available, the Ravens will likely lose Judon without compensation and get priced out of the top tier guys.  Time to look at low-cost veteran pass rushers that might still have something in the tank --  Mario Addison, anyone?

#13 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,162 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

I'm not seeing no franchise tag in any of the published language from the NFLPA. Lots of other things have been made public, I'm wondering if the franchise tag is staying. 

#14 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,162 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

If the tag option is not available, the Ravens will likely lose Judon without compensation and get priced out of the top tier guys.  Time to look at low-cost veteran pass rushers that might still have something in the tank --  Mario Addison, anyone?

If the Ravens lose Judon they'll have the money to spend big in one spot. Unless it's Littleton (which would be great, and I'd be happy with) I don't see how the Ravens wouldn't be one of the top suitors between Ngakoue, Jones, Clowney, and Barrett. You could add Bud Dupree to that group, but I think he's a tier below. 

#15 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:58 PM

It's interesting to see PFF not list Matt Judon in its top 50 available free agents, unless they were doing so because they see the Ravens tagging him.

@Olsen_Don

#16 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,162 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:06 PM

If we're talking about value, Kyle Van Noy is a guy I actually really like for the position. I think he brings more balance than Judon. He'll probably cost the same as folks wanted to pay Judon but be more equivalent in value. $10-11 AAV range. Strikes me as very Jarret Johnson-y and I think would be very reliable. 

That should leave you $15-22 mill left depending on what you do with Carr. That's an option I'd be OK if we don't make a play for one of the top pass rushers. 

#17 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

It's interesting to see PFF not list Matt Judon in its top 50 available free agents, unless they were doing so because they see the Ravens tagging him.

Listed him 78 on their top 100 list.
@BSLMikeRandall

#18 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

If the Ravens lose Judon they'll have the money to spend big in one spot. Unless it's Littleton (which would be great, and I'd be happy with) I don't see how the Ravens wouldn't be one of the top suitors between Ngakoue, Jones, Clowney, and Barrett. You could add Bud Dupree to that group, but I think he's a tier below.

Hard pass on Clowney. Severely overrated. He had that one tackle that one time in college and everyone has had a hard on for him since.
@BSLMikeRandall

#19 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:57 PM

Would that mean PFF values him somewhere between Preston Smith and Kyle Van Noy, as that would mean a contract in the 11-13 million range?

@Olsen_Don

#20 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

Would that mean PFF values him somewhere between Preston Smith and Kyle Van Noy, as that would mean a contract in the 11-13 million range?

They had Van Noy ranked 40 on their top 100 FAs. Preston Smith signed last year. FWIW they Graded Smith his last two years in WAS 68.1 and 68.4. Judon at 71.3 and 77.0 his last two years. I expect Judon to get more than Preston who was 4/$52M
  • sandiegosean likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners