Photo

Balt Sun: Elias confident O's employees with Astros ties won’t be connected to sign-stealing scandal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 118,565 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

Balt Sun: Mike Elias confident Orioles employees with Astros ties won’t be connected to sign-stealing scandal: ‘It’s been a disturbing series of events’

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:00 PM

Elias' statement about Orioles (former Astros) employees not being implicated in the Houston scandal is the same hollow response Hinch gave about the Astros not using buzzers in the 2019 season.

MLB has decided not to pursue any of the staff below Luhnow and any of the coaches/players below Hinch (Cora, TBD).

The fact that they won't be implicated isn't the same as them not being involved. 

If the only concern is whether they'll get suspended and lose their position in Baltimore, they are fine.

If you are trying to suggest (as he did previously) that they weren't involved, that is likely untrue.  

If you had to bet something significant on whether Elias has a copy of "Codebreaker" (and likely other related things) on a thumbdrive at home labelled "Kid's Art" you'd be wise to bet on the affirmative.

------------------

I'm only saying this because the article brings it up, but the Astros didn't do jack with their drafting, international and player development programs in Houston.

I know believing that is the foundation of what they're trying to do in Baltimore.

I'm not suggesting they can't be successful in Baltimore because there's merit in those processes, but facts don't support the position that they were some developmental giant.

From 2011 to 2016 (you could include more seasons, but that's not really fair developmentally for the 2017-2019 season) the Astros drafts produced almost nothing in terms of value to the 2017-2019 success.

People (including the article) like to tie "the trades for Verlander and Cole" into some level of developmental success (ie, they'd be better if they didn't have to trade guys), but the fact is that neither of those trades were significant, prospect heavy trades.  If you think they were, you simply don't understand that they weren't.

Yordan Alvarez was actually signed by the Dodgers and traded to Houston (actually only 45 days after signing).

If you put Mancini, Hays and Means up against the entire Houston drafts (after 1-1) and international signings from 2011 to 2016, you'd be wise to pick Mancini, Means and Hays.

The Houston system, like the Cubs system, in 'rebuilding' has produced almost nothing to nothing in terms of pitching.

All of their 'draft and development' success is tied to 2 guys and Bregman is tainted at this point.

Where the Astros have done an excellent job is identifying Major League talent and getting the most out of it (think guys like McHugh and Morton) and any number of guys (Verlander, Cole, others) have significantly bumped up their performance in Houston.

You never had to rebuild to get the vast % of the guys that have generated the success of the Astros.

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,724 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:24 AM

I think it is very likely that Elias and Mejdal knew about the Astro's cheating.  Their methods were rooted in technology and obviously, Elias is a numbers and tech guy.

I don't think, he is going to be involved in any of the fall out from MLB, but I think it is fair to assume he was in the very least aware of the goings on.

@mikeghg

#4 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:26 PM

I think we would have known by now if Elias or Mejdal were directly connected to the sign stealing "scandal."

MLB had access to thousands of emails and texts and they would have had the hammer brought on them like Cora and Beltran.

Further, it does not concern me going forward. 

It seems like they both got out at the right time.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:38 PM

and they would have had the hammer brought on them like Cora and Beltran.

Everything in your statement is right except for this. They were the two listed as the "masterminds"--even though based on the reporting that seems at least partially incorrect. And they haven't been punished by MLB; Beltran likely won't, and Cora's is still waiting on the Red Sox report.

Since MLB specifically worked to cover up the Astros FO's role in this (beyond scapegoating Luhnow and Hinch) by blaming the players, there is little reason to believe that Elias and Mejdal would have been punished. Any involvement, though, may have been uncovered in the reporting by The Athletic.

@DJ_McCann

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,724 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:38 PM

I think we would have known by now if Elias or Mejdal were directly connected to the sign stealing "scandal."

MLB had access to thousands of emails and texts and they would have had the hammer brought on them like Cora and Beltran.

Further, it does not concern me going forward. 

It seems like they both got out at the right time.

I think your last comment sums it up.  

@mikeghg

#7 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

Everything in your statement is right except for this. They were the two listed as the "masterminds"--even though based on the reporting that seems at least partially incorrect. And they haven't been punished by MLB; Beltran likely won't, and Cora's is still waiting on the Red Sox report.

Since MLB specifically worked to cover up the Astros FO's role in this (beyond scapegoating Luhnow and Hinch) by blaming the players, there is little reason to believe that Elias and Mejdal would have been punished. Any involvement, though, may have been uncovered in the reporting by The Athletic.

I agree.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:04 PM

After Luhnow was fired, I wonder if Elias thought, "Damn, if I had stayed, I could be the Astros GM now". I know he repeatedly said that he wanted to be able to build a team, from the ground up. But I can't help but wonder if, given the choice, he wouldn't choose the Astros GM job over the O's.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,724 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

After Luhnow was fired, I wonder if Elias thought, "Damn, if I had stayed, I could be the Astros GM now". I know he repeatedly said that he wanted to be able to build a team, from the ground up. But I can't help but wonder if, given the choice, he wouldn't choose the Astros GM job over the O's.  

I am sure it went through his mind, and I think the Astro's will be good for another couple of years, but given all that is going on, it would not be surprising to see them hit some tough times in the not so distant future.

With Houston,  Elias would be the guy who took over a World Series Caliber team and maintained it.  Certainly a feather in his hat, but in Baltimore he would be a guy who took over a horrible organization and if he is able to build a winner, become a rock star.

@mikeghg

#10 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,204 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:33 PM

The investigation is over, no?

If that's the case, then this shouldn't be an issue moving forward. 

@beginthebegin71

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,002 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

The investigation is over, no?

If that's the case, then this shouldn't be an issue moving forward. 

The investigation is over but details keep trickling out.  Public knowledge of these details may be even mroe damaging than the actual punishment MLB handed down.  For example, I doubt Hinch or Luhnow ever get a job again since the details about Codebreaker have leaked which exposes the lies they've told about not being aware. 

MLB certainly won't be taking any action against Elias or Mejdal or any other former Astros employees that are now here, but that doesn't mean we're certain there aren't going to be any issues.

• BSLSethBondroff likes this

#12 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,204 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:49 PM

The investigation is over but details keep trickling out.  Public knowledge of these details may be even mroe damaging than the actual punishment MLB handed down.  For example, I doubt Hinch or Luhnow ever get a job again since the details about Codebreaker have leaked which exposes the lies they've told about not being aware. 

MLB certainly won't be taking any action against Elias or Mejdal or any other former Astros employees that are now here, but that doesn't mean we're certain there aren't going to be any issues.

Fair enough. Thanks. 

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners