BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,786 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

https://www.baltimor...diggs-to-ravens

Would you make this move?

I wouldn’t and I don’t think it would take a 1st to get him either.
@BSLRobShields

#2 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:44 AM

No way am I giving up a 1 for Diggs.  He is more of a compliment receiver with athleticism and speed but not the contested catch, precise route runner that we need.  

I think Hollywood already brings what Diggs could, albeit in a smaller package.  Now, if they wanted a 3 (we will be getting a 3 for ZS anyway) then I am good with that but not a 1 or even a 2.  

#3 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,992 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:24 PM

I don't know about a first because you have to take the contract too - although it is fairly reasonable just going off the base salary numbers and you get him for 4 seasons.

He is a top 15-20 WR imo, so I would love to add him. Excellent route runner with explosive ability, very good hands.

I'd consider it for sure. I'd give a 2nd in a heartbeat.

@gabefergy

#4 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,341 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

2nd and 4th, 3rd and two 4ths, if there was serious interest, feels like you could get there. 

The initial cost is always well more than usually what the market bears out, too. He'd be a really solid addition to Brown. 

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,714 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

Cooks got a first, Cooks got a first again, Cooper got a first.  Sanu got a 2nd.

I think a first is a very reasonable expectation for the Vikings to have for Diggs.  Impossible that we could get him without giving up a 2nd and even that as the top pick coming back feels very unlikely to me.

I'd love to have him, and think even a 1st is fair value to give up.  He'd also be a bargain with just 4/$47.5M owed to him, none of it guaranteed.  But I'd be concerned about his penchant for getting unhappy on the sidelines if he isn't getting the ball enough.  With our offense, we sometimes go quite a while without throwing to all the receivers.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 120,099 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:28 PM

I love Diggs.... and he'd be a reliable weapon. 

If you have a lot of confidence in Boykin developing as that big body Boldin type (not saying he has to become Boldin to have value, saying as that physical, move the chains, make contested grabs)... then maybe with Diggs. 

Diggs could absolutely be Mason. 

I think Mackus' point is a good one.  There'd be some issues imo if he wasn't getting what he considered the proper amount of catches, and the team wasn't winning. As long as the Ravens were winning, I think he'd be good with being a part. 

Any WR you bring into team going forward needs to be willing to block (someone can go to the tape and evaluate how willing Diggs is to block), and be 100% locked into winning vs. 'get me the damn ball.' 

I want any WR addition to just want to win. Be capable of making tough catches, but comfortable enough to see the ball move around to the 3 TE's, to Hollywood, to Boykin, to the RB's... and know the offense is better as a whole if defenses can't lock onto any one guy.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#7 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,786 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:30 PM

Diggs at his salary or spend a first rounder on a WR?

I think that’s a big question here.
@BSLRobShields

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,714 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

Diggs for me.  It's basically a tradeoff of money versus confidence.  Would you trade Brown for Diggs?  Probably not.  Would you trade Perriman for Diggs?  Absolutely.  The large level of uncertainty with late 1st round WR makes Diggs the easy choice between those two options, IMO.  Admittedly, I know nothing about this year's crop of WR who may be available in the late first round so I'm basing that answer on my generic opinion of the typical results of a late 1st WR and not any specific opinion on this year's class.

A rookie WR would basically have a 5/$25M contract with about half guaranteed (or 4/$12M all guaranteed if you decline the option which means it was a bad pick).  Diggs is 4/$48M with nothing guaranteed.

• BSLJordanKough likes this

#9 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,992 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, I think I would rather have Diggs too. He's a known commodity. He's still young. He's very good and the contract isn't awful.

@gabefergy

#10 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:53 PM

The Ravens would be wise to hold onto as many top 100 picks as possible, as they need to infuse some serious holes and can use these picks to revamp the multiple defensive line, multiple edge rush, interior linebackers, and interior offensive line needs.

@Olsen_Don

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:52 PM

The value of a late 1st for Diggs seems right. Would rather have him and his salary over a WR draft pick at 28. That said I agree with Don above. I would strongly prefer to spend our 1st rounder and the majority of our available money at more pressing positions. The offense will be fine if not a single addition is made this offseason

#12 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,786 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:03 PM

The value of a late 1st for Diggs seems right. Would rather have him and his salary over a WR draft pick at 28. That said I agree with Don above. I would strongly prefer to spend our 1st rounder and the majority of our available money at more pressing positions. The offense will be fine if not a single addition is made this offseason

I disagree with that last sentence.

Edit: actually, I guess it depends on how you define “fine”.
@BSLRobShields

#13 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:57 PM

I'd give up a 2nd and a 4th for Diggs. I don't want to give up that first round pick.

Then again...Diggs is a difference maker. I'd love to have him in Baltimore.

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,869 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:22 PM

Not for a 1, but maybe a 2.

@mikeghg

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:33 AM

I disagree with that last sentence.

Edit: actually, I guess it depends on how you define “fine”.

I mean they likey arent going put up 500 points. Few teams in history have. I believe they scored 8 more offensive TDs than any other team in football last year. Even if they take a step or two back theyre still a Top 5 offense.

The reality is they likely arent going to sit still on offense. They just dont need splashy additions.
  • Mike B likes this

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90,786 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

I mean they likey arent going put up 500 points. Few teams in history have. I believe they scored 8 more offensive TDs than any other team in football last year. Even if they take a step or two back theyre still a Top 5 offense.

The reality is they likely arent going to sit still on offense. They just dont need splashy additions.

I don’t agree they are destined to be a top 5 offense with no improvements.

First of all, they likely lose Yanda. Now, I know Ken McKusick likes Ben Powers and he graded out very well in the preseason and the last game of the season but that’s obviously a SSS. Maybe he can step in and be a quality guard right away but he won’t be Yanda.

The other thing is that they were pretty healthy. Yes Brown and Andrews has their share of lingering issues and yes I expect Brown to be better next year but if you have an i juries, your margin for error is less.

I don’t know that anyone will ever figure out Lamar and the run game...they said Tenn did nothing different than they have seen before...they just lost one on one battles.

Well some of that is that you need some more talent for people to key on. Our running backs group is good but Hill either needs to be replaced or utilized more. You need some explosion out of the back field. They absolutely need to add another very good WR. The offense has to be able to come from behind it needs be and it will struggle to do that as currently constructed.

More importantly, the division will be better...that’s almost a guarantee. You always need to get better. This was an argument we had about the 2015 Orioles. Everyone was upset that they basically brought back the same team.

Now, I get that people are saying you improve the defense so it’s not the “same team” but you never assume stuff like this in the NFL. Adding interior line help and one or two more threats on the offense is a need imo.
@BSLRobShields

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,869 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

I do not think they need superstar additions.  I think 1 or 2 receivers, more depth for the Oline, will do it.  A speed guy and a tall tough, possession receiver, completes the offense.  It is very good, take the next step and make it great.

@mikeghg

#18 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 10:53 PM

He was being a diva and bitching about his touches because the Vikes wanted to run the ball. How does that sound like a good fit for the Ravens who I hope will continue to run the ball and feature the TEs?

• BSLMikeRandall and bmore_ken like this

#19 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:14 AM

I agree that Diggs is not a good fit for the offense to which the Ravens are committed.  He's a good receiver, but he is a bit of a whiner when he doesn't get targeted.  I think of AB on the Steelers.  They had to make sure he got his targets to keep him from going off.  And that was a pass first offense.  He would probably be all in if he gets paid....at least at first.  I don't think I would part with my draft choices to get a guy who would likely be openly questioning why he isn't getting more targets by mid season.  

#20 ivanbalt

ivanbalt
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:56 AM

He was being a diva and bitching about his touches because the Vikes wanted to run the ball. How does that sound like a good fit for the Ravens who I hope will continue to run the ball and feature the TEs?

Yeah not a good fit with how the Ravens run the offense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners