• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 211 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:49 PM

Here is a breakdown of WR during the senior bowl.  There is a wide array of styles and types, where clubs will have ranked differently based on strengths in their game.  I hear this might be the deepest class ever, but I can't attest to it from my point of view.  I do see a few down this list that could sneak into the back of round 1 with a good combine and others can jump into day 2.

Collin Johnson

Role: X WR

Comps: Brandon Marshall, Mike Williams (LAC)

Big Target and wide catch radius.  Great body control and can make the tough catch, jumpball redzone target.  Good speed for size, can long stride, and short step.  More of a 2-7-8-9 route tree skill set.  Hip turns and other aspect of hip sink are okay for size, but it will be tough for him to shake corner in coverage, will have to use 6-6 frame to outwork him.  Not overpowering or physical as you would think.  Can make the great catch, then drop the easy slant, needs to improve concentration.  Can find the soft spot in zone, so football IQ is solid.

Devin Duvernay

Role: Slot WR, maybe Z

Comps: Randall Cobb

Top end speed to blow the coverage off the ball, but won’t separate early- takes him a few strides to open up.  Lacks fluid, seems stiff and stops, in/out of breaks are transparent.  He is overall a raw route runner. Deep seam and post corner routes look like his strengths.  He will work better in man coverage, as his thick lower half will be tough to knock off the press.  Fights for the ball, can box out a bigger corner from a smaller frame player.  He flashes and you can’t teach his speed.  Combine 10 yard split, 3 cone are going to be key.  We already know that he is a sub 4.4 40, but what can he do in a phone booth, can he separate off the ball.

Van Jefferson

Role: Z WR, Slot WR

Comps: Antonio Brown, Derrick Mason

He looks like an above average speed guy with loose hips/ankles that allow him to break in/out and cut.  He is the best route runner in his class.  He is able to gain separation on short and medium routes, impressive footwork.  He should live of 3-6 routes.  Hands are impressive, goes and gets the football and wide catch radius for his size.  Walks and talks like a pro, see he is extremely coachable.  Team drills, he finds soft spot in the zone and works himself open when the play breaks down.  I could foresee a reliable third down target if all things break right for him.  If he break sub 4.5 speed, this guy will rocket up the draft boards.

Jauan Jennings

Role: WR3 (X,Z, or slot)

Comps: Keyshawn Johnson, Anquan Boldin

Larger thicker build WR that is tough in traffic, looks like he is willing to do the work on the run game.  Surprisingly above average ability to get of the press and gain separation from all types of DBs.  He has a solid pair of hands, I would like to see him go after the ball more often than allowing the ball to come into the body, especially on the slants and digs.  Inconsistent for the feel, finding the pocket to sit, but saw good sideline awareness, good agility and overall athletic ability.  Will have to perform in the combine to break away from the next group of WR and into the fringe top ten.

Micheal Pittman Jr

Comps: Keenan Allen

Long and lean, long limbs, uses a long gait to get over the top.  Can track the deep ball well, decent explosive ability, but need to see his broad jump and vertical to get a true sense of his jump ball ability (QBs didn’t really give him those types of looks in drill to properly access that skill).  Decent route runner for size, think he can do the entire route tree (Break is okay for a big man).  He finds the soft spot in the middle, but working the edge is his strength.  Good hands and will constantly go after the ball.  Solid footwork and agility, but not the fast twitch explosive playmaker during this week. Willing run support and showed gunner skills.  Outstanding attitude, good head on his shoulders.

Chase Claypool

Comps: Miles Boykin

Long and slightly bigger than average frame for height, but no impact on speed.  He is not a track speed guy, but I can see him posting a 4.45 and if anything better he starts to go up the boards because his size/speed will entice a club.  He gets off the line, good in press coverage, can separate and good change of direction.  He is a little more fluid for a bigger WR than others with similar height/weight in his class.  Showed glimpse of playmaking athletic ability.  He can run the entire route tree, but see his strength is cross the field; he should work the intermediate routes and body control should allow him to be open in tight spaces.  He might be a good big WR out of the slot in the way you see TEs flexed in certain packages.

KJ Hill

Role: WR3 (Z, SL)

Comps: Joey Galloway, Terry McLaurin

Fitting that I see two small Z OSU receivers in his game.  Flys off the snap, but not a top end burner, can shake off the press and slip by press coverage.  He has very good, but not elite speed.  Shows good agility to stop, nice double moves without losing speed.  He can sink the hips and get in/out of breaks very well.  Provides added value in the return game.  Solid vison and seen him make a gunner or two miss.

Denzel Mims

Role: WR3 (X)

Comps: Allen Robinson

If a club who likes Tee Higgins and misses on him, you can get value in the next round or two in Mims.  He is a tough, power driven WR that fights to get open on the sideline and will fight for the ball over the top.  As with Pittman, his strengths could not be showcased with these QBs in this setting and I believe the broad jump and vertical will help improve his stock at the combine.  I like his footwork and he had the best dig route out of everyone I saw that week.  Good explosion off the line, but not great, slightly above average for the class.  Good concentration and fights/tracks the football in traffic.  Hands are very good and will not drop many that he gets his hands to it.

Antonio Gandy-Golden

Role: WR4 (X)

Comps: Looks only Randy Moss

Tall and wiry thin frame.  No problems getting off the press, long gait and deceptively fast.  When he streaks, his game starts to separate after 20 yards, which is why I just think Moss.  His hands need work, think he needs the reps of guys that throw it +50 mph (was likely accustomed to +40 mph).

James Proche

Role: WR4 (Z, SL); Special Teams

Comps: De’Anthony Thomas

Quick slot burner, two step and slant will be a goldmine for his early career.  If you can work it underneath and he can make a defender miss take it to the end zone.  He was solid in short crossings, obviously deep threat with his speed.  Option in the kick return and punt return game to add value to his overall game.

Quartney Davis

Role: WR3 (X, Z, SL)

Comps: AJ Brown, Anquan Boldin

Good size, impressive 10 yard split and ability to sink the hips & turn.  Can make the tough catches, where you see flashes of playmaking ability. Fights for the ball inside, can step through the defensive back to get him in between the football.  His game will likely flourish as the speed slot.  He opened a number of eyes this week and made a number of wow plays.  You can see the combine helping push him up draft board.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@Olsen_Don

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,574 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:52 PM

Who was your favorite in terms of combo of route running and hands?
@BSLRobShields

#3 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

#1 Van Jefferson

#2 Micheal Pittman Jr.

#3 Denzel Mims

#4 Chase Claypool

#5 KJ Hill

@Olsen_Don

#4 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,574 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:49 PM

https://www.google.c...-142719734/Amp/

Jefferson certainly sounds good.
@BSLRobShields

#5 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:21 PM

Just some chatter from the few scouts I knew, and the few I befriended while at the senior bowl.

• Denzel Mims camp believes he will run a sub 4.4 (4.35-4.38) at next weeks combine.
  • Jalen Reagor's camp is certain he will break into the 4.2s at the combine.
  • Donovan Peoples-Jones is someone that is not being talked about due to poor QB play at Michigan and could open eyes next week.
  • I asked them to tally how many WR would be selected in the top 100 picks, it averaged 18 WRs.

@Olsen_Don

#6 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,713 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:25 PM

I really really like Michael Pittman Jr. I watched him a bit at USC and he was every bit of a go to WR in that offense. He has very good size and catches the ball well in traffic. Above average catch radius and route running. I think he is going to be a steal in this draft.
@gabefergy

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,713 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:26 PM

Peoples-Jones is anther guy I really like. If he played in LSU's offense he is a 1st round lock imo.

@gabefergy

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88,574 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

I really really like Michael Pittman Jr. I watched him a bit at USC and he was every bit of a go to WR in that offense. He has very good size and catches the ball well in traffic. Above average catch radius and route running. I think he is going to be a steal in this draft.

Was reading an article today about sleeper picks in the draft and they mentioned Pittman. His high pointing was something they emphasized IIRC.
@BSLRobShields

#9 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:52 PM

I like Pittman, but he is unlikely to test well next week.  He is more sneaky fast and lacks the explosiveness you want out of the position these days.  He will get off a press and he with throw your dick in the dirt if on the run.

I comped him to Kennan Allen, but maybe he is more of a Plaxico Buress type with a better set of hands. 

@Olsen_Don

#10 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,713 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:01 PM

I like Pittman, but he is unlikely to test well next week.  He is more sneaky fast and lacks the explosiveness you want out of the position these days.  He will get off a press and he with throw your dick in the dirt if on the run.

I comped him to Kennan Allen, but maybe he is more of a Plaxico Buress type with a better set of hands. 

I love explosive numbers for WRs, but so many of the best WRs in the NFL did not test that well. I've started to care more about the nuances of the position...footwork, releases, ability to catch off target and the ability to drop hips and change direction on the fly.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this
@gabefergy

#11 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:53 AM

Pittman should be a competent WR, likely will outplay half of the WR picked before him.  What worries me with Pittman is that everything is about a long gait to get separation, and explosiveness out of breaks is not as good as others.  If he had that explosive ability, you would have him in the same conversation as Jerry Juedy and CeeCee Lamb.

@Olsen_Don

#12 Don Olsen

Don Olsen
  • Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:20 PM

Van Jefferson, a player who I like a lot higher than what boards are posting, had a Jones fracture.  This bone is between the heel and the big toe.  It usually requires a screw, but is no where near the time table of lisfranc injury.  It usually takes 6-12 weeks to fully heal and my wife (who is an orthopedic surgeon) thinks an athlete would be healed in 4-6 weeks, but PT for another 6-8 weeks to full work load in 3 to 4 months.

She said unlike lisfranc, the Jones screw could be taken out after healing and push PT back a week or two. plus make it a full 8 weeks of PT to make full workload realistically 4 months away.

@Olsen_Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners