446 replies to this topic

#21 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:42 AM

Calm down dude. Just take a day. Let it go.

Jackson will be fine. They got shell shocked. When Andrews let that ball go through his hands and into the defenders, this team didn't know what to do. That's a gimmie all season. We went from our normal stop you, March down the field and get 6 routine to back on our heels. Then they got stopped on 4th and 1. That never happens. They blinked and its 14 - 0.

Tennessee is not a good football team. They do one thing really good. At some point Tannehill will have to win a game for them. I fully expect KC to win tomorrow and then win by 20+ next week.

Good post.

I think the decision to go for the first down in their own territory was a poor decision. Tennessee got the momentum and never looked back after stopping the Ravens and going up 14-0.

I do disagree that Tennessee is not a good team. They man handled the Ravens defensive front seven. More importantly, I have never seen Jackson so frustrated. They did a good job of containing him. Besides, they beat the # 3 and #1 playoff seeds on consecutive weeks. Both road wins. I would not be shocked if they beat KC or Houston next week.

#22 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:32 AM

Good post.

I think the decision to go for the first down in their own territory was a poor decision. Tennessee got the momentum and never looked back after stopping the Ravens and going up 14-0.

I do disagree that Tennessee is not a good team. They man handled the Ravens defensive front seven. More importantly, I have never seen Jackson so frustrated. They did a good job of containing him. Besides, they beat the # 3 and #1 playoff seeds on consecutive weeks. Both road wins. I would not be shocked if they beat KC or Houston next week.

I think the Titans are a decent team but the Ravens couldn't do what they had to- stop Henry.  He ran wild again andTannehill did just enough to manage the rest. They didn't turn the ball over.  I didn't like the first 4th down call and it bit them in the ass immediately.  For most of the last 3 months, the Ravens were the team that raced out to a 14-0 lead and then just overwhelmed teams.  When the situation got reversed on them, you could just sense the panic.  Or maybe it was just in my own head but I definitely felt the fight or flight response.  And I'm sure Lamar felt it too. 

#23 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 06:56 AM

The Titans are every bit as talented and good as some of the Ravens teams that won multiple games in the playoffs as an underdog.
@BSLRobShields

#24 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:07 AM

Also see the difference in demeanor between Joe and Lamar.
Joe’s even keeled personality was such an asset in the playoffs.
Lamar seems to be more high strung.
That’s not necessarily a bad thing but if you can’t control your emotions in the playoffs, it’s tough to win.

Getting back to this and the Lamar comments afterwards.

Think about the bad plays from Lamar last night.

You had the turnovers. The one hit Andrews ok the hands but it was a bit high. Still, you should catch that.

The other INT was horrible. He stared down the WR on the sidelines and threw an easy pick. He never looked off that one read. The fumble was totally awful. No way you can’t feel that pressure that was right there and he was still trying to throw it to make a play. The game is well within reach at that point, so you can’t make that mistake.

He had the pass to Brown in the 4thQ on a post route that was about 7 yards out of the end zone but Brown has open and that should/could have been 6. But he alluded a pass rush first and then threw it long..again, the game not slowing down for him.

The QB sneak..he tries to go all the outside. That’s not easy on that type of call. Now, I blame the play call but it was a bad decision to go where he did. After missing on the earlier 4th and short, again I think he tried to do too much.

Obviously his accuracy was off a lot last night.

It just seemed like the game was too fast for him at times and he didn’t know how to slow it down.

Obviously he had an amazing season but this is an aspect about him that he must work on or the Ravens won’t be winning many playoff games with him as the QB.
@BSLRobShields

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:20 AM

The Titans are every bit as talented and good as some of the Ravens teams that won multiple games in the playoffs as an underdog.

They’re a hot goalie team. 

they probably go to the Super Bowl. 

• mdrunning likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

Ravens pick 28th in the draft.
@BSLRobShields

#27 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:46 AM

https://twitter.com/...0510895104?s=21
@BSLRobShields

#28 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,466 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:50 AM

I don’t know why, and I’m probably wrong, but I have a feeling Yanda will be back for another go at it.

#29 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:54 AM

I don’t know why, and I’m probably wrong, but I have a feeling Yanda will be back for another go at it.

He seemed to be pretty healthy this year. They don’t make him practice much...training camp is something he barely participated in. Team has a chance to be a SB contender again.

But, does he want to keep put his body through this? That’s the issue.
@BSLRobShields

#30 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,587 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

Last night really came down to a handful of plays that went the wrong way.

The Titans forced the ball into Lamar's hands and he still played a strong game, not perfect, but he played well.

He needs better weapons though. Mark Andrews can't be the only go to receiver, because we just saw what happens when he is not 100%.

Hollywood had a good game, but Roberts had a huge drop. Snead and Boykin had big drops too. The WR group has to get better.

On defense LB has to be addressed, both inside and outside. I wouldn't mind bringing back Bynes, but they need to find some athleticism there.

OLB is going to be probably thr biggest need, even if they keep Judon. The pass rush just isnt good enough and neither is the run defense on the edges.

Finally, OL - I dont see it as a huge a need as some others perhaps, but with Yanda potentially retiring an athletic and versatile lineman would help a lot.

@gabefergy

#31 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:53 AM

Powers graded out really well in week 17 and in the preseason.

He isn’t Yanda but he could still be able to step in and be very good.

Skura was good but coming off a bad knee injury, so a new center is possible.

You definitely have to add interior OLine depth though.

Front 7, WR and interior Oline are the things to really address this offseason.
@BSLRobShields

#32 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,587 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

I think something schematically that I would like to see the Ravens do more of next year is to use more pace on offense, spread teams out by flexing TEs into the slot and run out of that formation either with RPOs or designed runs for both Lamar and the RBs.

I feel like most of the time they ran out of heavy looks, but if teams are going to stack the box, spreading out the formation will create lanes for Lamar and/or RBs. I think Justice Hill in particular could thrive in this kind of look.

@gabefergy

#33 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

I think something schematically that I would like to see the Ravens do more of next year is to use more pace on offense, spread teams out by flexing TEs into the slot and run out of that formation either with RPOs or designed runs for both Lamar and the RBs.

I feel like most of the time they ran out of heavy looks, but if teams are going to stack the box, spreading out the formation will create lanes for Lamar and/or RBs. I think Justice Hill in particular could thrive in this kind of look.

I agree. Running the heavy formations allows teams to stack the inside and make Lamar play outside of the numbers. I would love to see them go no huddle-hurry up from time to time. No substitutions. Just start with a heavy formation, then split Hurst and Andrews out. Make the other team start big , then catch them in a spread not being able to sub out. This SHOULD have been something implemented in the 3 weeks the Ravens had to prepare for the playoffs. To have 3 weeks, and come out and show absolutely no creativity or nothing different from the regular season, that's unforgivable. Coaches need to be held accountable.

#34 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:00 PM

Run some damn screens.

The one thing about their passing game is that they don’t seem to have a lot of easy plays. It’s a lot of Lamar threading the needle in the middle of the field.

Lamar has to learn to be able to throw outside the numbers better. They need to look for more deep passes.

Most of all, Lamar has to learn to distribute the ball to more players. He fell in love with a few guys for most of the year. He has to expand that.

It’s all learning. The guy has what, 24 games under his belt? One of the youngest QBs in the league. We know he’s coachable and a hard worker and the team loves him.

But, he has to keep taking those steps.
@BSLRobShields

#35 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:02 PM

I think the division will be better next year.

Pitt brings back a good defense, a seemingly healthy Ben, Connor and JuJu and you figure they make some improvements. No first rounder though.

If Stefanski is an adult and can control that talent, they should be better.

Even Cinci could be a lot better if they get Burrow and he is good early on.

Schedule won’t be as easy in that regards.
@BSLRobShields

#36 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:18 PM

Pittsburgh will have a world-class defense and their quarterback healthy. Cleveland could be excellent with a decent coach. Cincinnati will have the best quarterback in college football at the helm. On top of that, every team will have studied up on how to make their offense look foolish. Expect the Tennessee game plan every game until they prove they can beat it.

Finishing 10-6 may be the best we can hope for.

#37 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:23 PM

Ravens should forfeit next season!

Maybe they should trade Lamar, tank and draft Trevor Lawrence?

Or, just move the team. Maybe Indy wants a second franchise?
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this
@BSLRobShields

#38 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,587 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:23 PM

I think the Ravens will be strong favorites to win the Division. Pretty much the entire offense will be coming back and you have to think they will make some improvements to the WR corps. 

Do I expect the team to go 14-2 again? No, but I would say 11 to 12 wins should be the expectation. They had a very hard schedule this year and dominated the competition. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@gabefergy

#39 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,587 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

And I do think Lamar will improve as a passer. You know this early playoff exit is going to eat at him, and he is going to figure out what he needs to do to get better. He's going to work on those outside the numbers throws - a lot of it has to do with timing and ball placement, and that comes with experience and reps with the receivers.

@gabefergy

#40 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

He also has to work on his emotions.

That’s going to be important for playoff success.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners