• Please log in to reply
442 replies to this topic

#241 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 17 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

I wouldn't be so sure. Kupp might be too cheap to part with, but Woods could be a candidate. Cooks certainly is but I don't think he's a great fit for several reasons (skill sets injury history, etc.)

St. Louis is in cap hell right now. I bet they would be willing to jettison some contracts.

St Louis?  :eek:

Took me years to stop calling the Cardinals that, then could not get my mouth to say St Louis vs LA Rams, definitely said San Diego every single time I discussed the Chargers this year, and I suspect Las Vegas will not be in my vocabulary when the Raiders are involved next season. 

#242 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,266 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:21 PM

If they tag Tannehill, they can't tag Henry.  Both are free agents.

Maybe they give Henry an actual deal. Of the two, Henry is the one I'm less worried about turning into a bad contract. Maybe they franchise Henry and let Tannehill walk and let some other team over pay for him. 

I think they could justify keeping Henry to lose Tannehill. But keeping Tannehill to lose Henry is a much harder sell, IMO. Henry is only 26, not like he's about to be 30. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#243 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:54 PM

If they tag Tannehill, they can't tag Henry.  Both are free agents.

If it was my money, there's no way I'd be tagging Tannehill. He's been an average qb his entire career. 

#244 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,780 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:02 PM

If it was my money, there's no way I'd be tagging Tannehill. He's been an average qb his entire career. 

If they had stuck with Mariota they don't make the playoffs.  How much is not having to go back to Mariota worth?

They only have to give him a dollar more than any other team is willing to give him.  But I could see multiple teams out there making a real offer for multiple years that Tennessee has to match and they end up thinking they would've preferred to have franchised him for a huge one-year cap hit but no long-term commitment for merely big money.  Nick Foles seems like a good comp.  He got 4/$88M with $45M guaranteed.  

So if you're the Titans, which option would you pick?

Sign Tannehill for 4/$88M w/ $45M guaranteed

Franchise him for $27M all in 2020

Let him walk and go into the offseason with nobody at all at QB

#245 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:37 PM

If they had stuck with Mariota they don't make the playoffs.  How much is not having to go back to Mariota worth?

They only have to give him a dollar more than any other team is willing to give him.  But I could see multiple teams out there making a real offer for multiple years that Tennessee has to match and they end up thinking they would've preferred to have franchised him for a huge one-year cap hit but no long-term commitment for merely big money.  Nick Foles seems like a good comp.  He got 4/$88M with $45M guaranteed.  

So if you're the Titans, which option would you pick?

Sign Tannehill for 4/$88M w/ $45M guaranteed

Franchise him for $27M all in 2020

Let him walk and go into the offseason with nobody at all at QB

You obviously franchise him if  those are the two options and you think 2019 Tannehill is really him. His history doesn't say he is. I guess a $27M gamble is better than a $45M gamble. My money says this season was a fluke. 

#246 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,649 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 January 2020 - 03:55 PM

If they tag Tannehill, they can't tag Henry. Both are free agents.

There are different tags
  • Mackus likes this
@BSLRobShields

#247 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,780 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

There are different tags

True.  I don't recall a team ever using both tags, but I suppose it is possible.  And I don't think it's against the rules.

#248 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,649 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:46 PM

Definitely can do it if they choose
@BSLRobShields

#249 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 05:43 PM

St Louis? :eek:

Took me years to stop calling the Cardinals that, then could not get my mouth to say St Louis vs LA Rams, definitely said San Diego every single time I discussed the Chargers this year, and I suspect Las Vegas will not be in my vocabulary when the Raiders are involved next season.

Damn it. I hate doing that. :)

#250 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

Anyone stupid enough to give Tannehill a multi-year, lucrative contract deserves what they get.  Foles is already on his way to being a complete bust.  There's no way they can lose Henry because he is as important to their offense as Lamar is to our's.  I don't know about their cap situation but if he walks, you can kiss the Titans goodbye as far as any chance to make the play-offs next year.  And for the record, it's painful for me to see Henry blossom as he has.  The Sun posters probably remember how badly I wanted the Ravens to draft him.  

• CMU27 and bmore_ken like this

#251 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,587 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:42 AM

There are different tags

Teams can only use 1 tag in the same year
  • Mackus likes this
@gabefergy

#252 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,780 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:28 AM

I think Gabe is right.
Here is the language:
https://www.thefootb...sition-players/

Its legalese so not very straightforward, but says you can use the Transition tag in lieu of the Franchise tag.

Also, the Transition tag doesn't have any penalties for another team to sign the player. No draft picks given up.

#253 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

Teams can only use 1 tag in the same year

The CBA stipulates that in this, the final league year (meaning the final year of the CBA), teams may designate one franchise player and one transition player. That could make for some interesting scenarios this offseason.

#254 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

The CBA stipulates that in this, the final league year (meaning the final year of the CBA), teams may designate one franchise player and one transition player. That could make for some interesting scenarios this offseason.

I did read that. Problem with the Transition tag is you can match or not but no immediate compensation is involved.

#255 CMU27

CMU27
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:27 AM

Anyone stupid enough to give Tannehill a multi-year, lucrative contract deserves what they get.  Foles is already on his way to being a complete bust.  There's no way they can lose Henry because he is as important to their offense as Lamar is to our's.  I don't know about their cap situation but if he walks, you can kiss the Titans goodbye as far as any chance to make the play-offs next year.  And for the record, it's painful for me to see Henry blossom as he has.  The Sun posters probably remember how badly I wanted the Ravens to draft him.  

Tannehill has proven to be a winning QB....in the Titans system.  I kind of think of him as a present day Earl Morrall.  So, no way do I offer him a multi year contract.  

Henry...I remember a comment or two.  Henry went two picks after the Ravens second round choice of Correa (traded to and still with the Titans)

• Mike B, jamesdean and mdrunning like this

#256 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

Tannehill has proven to be a winning QB....in the Titans system.  I kind of think of him as a present day Earl Morrall.  So, no way do I offer him a multi year contract.  

Henry...I remember a comment or two.  Henry went two picks after the Ravens second round choice of Correa (traded to and still with the Titans)

Tannehill has done well off of play-action thanks to Henry's amazing season.  If you remove Henry from the equation, I think Tannehill resumes his mediocre career.  There's certainly worse quarterbacks but like Morrall, I just don't see him starting in the NFL indefinitely and being one of the best in the league. 

#257 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,052 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

Great blast from the past with Earl Morrall.   I can see the connection, but Earl was a pretty accomplished QB, and if memory serves played over 2o years in the NFL.  He was a great backup, who when called on, always seemed to do the job.    Tannehill has had spurts before but has never been able to sustain it.

@mikeghg

#258 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

Great blast from the past with Earl Morrall.   I can see the connection, but Earl was a pretty accomplished QB, and if memory serves played over 2o years in the NFL.  He was a great backup, who when called on, always seemed to do the job.    Tannehill has had spurts before but has never been able to sustain it.

Except for Super Bowl III.

A lot of people forget that Earl was the starting QB for the Miami Dolphins throughout much of their 17-0 run in 1972. He seemed to have a knack for either finding the right situation or having the right situation find him. Be it the 1968 Colts or the 1972 Dolphins, he signed on as a backup before those respective seasons and took each team on historic runs.

I was talking with a neighbor a couple of days after the Ravens lost to the Titans, and he was saying that game kept bringing back memories of Super Bowl III. Like the Colts on that fateful day in Miami in 1969, the Ravens moved the ball well last Saturday, but something always seemed to happen before they could score. And like the Colts, unfortunately, once the Ravens got behind, they seemed to go away from what had worked all season and became pass-happy. Being a prohibitive favorite can have psychological consequences if things aren't going your way.

• Mike B likes this

#259 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,052 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:49 PM

Except for Super Bowl III.

A lot of people forget that Earl was the starting QB for the Miami Dolphins throughout much of their 17-0 run in 1972. He seemed to have a knack for either finding the right situation or having the right situation find him. Be it the 1968 Colts or the 1972 Dolphins, he signed on as a backup before those respective seasons and took each team on historic runs.

I was talking with a neighbor a couple of days after the Ravens lost to the Titans, and he was saying that game kept bringing back memories of Super Bowl III. Like the Colts on that fateful day in Miami in 1969, the Ravens moved the ball well last Saturday, but something always seemed to happen before they could score. And like the Colts, unfortunately, once the Ravens got behind, they seemed to go away from what had worked all season and became pass-happy. Being a prohibitive favorite can have psychological consequences if things aren't going your way.

Fair comparison of games.  That game like last Saturday was hard to swallow.  A significantly better team lost each time.

I actually, got a chance to talk to John Unitas, about that game, many years later.  John told me, it was the strangest game he was ever part of..

He also said, if he had been given the entire second half, the Colts would have won.  John was in no way bragging.   He was sure.

@mikeghg

#260 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:53 PM

I wouldn't be so sure. Kupp might be too cheap to part with, but Woods could be a candidate. Cooks certainly is but I don't think he's a great fit for several reasons (skill sets injury history, etc.)

St. Louis is in cap hell right now. I bet they would be willing to jettison some contracts.

Depending on the cost I would take Cooks. He can fly, and he never got the credit for being a complete WR because of his size. But he is the full package.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners