• Please log in to reply
447 replies to this topic

#221 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,713 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:58 PM

If you are going to trade for a WR, or look for someone else out of Green... would be good if they were a willing blocker. 

Green would address a lot of issues though.   Defense would have to respect him.  He'd open up things for the TE's and Hollywood... and if defenders are in single coverage vs the receiving weapons, obviously that helps the running game. 

#222 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,713 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:59 PM

If you are going to trade for a WR, or look for someone else out of Green... would be good if they were a willing blocker. 

Green would address a lot of issues though.   Defense would have to respect him.  He'd open up things for the TE's and Hollywood... and if defenders are in single coverage vs the receiving weapons, obviously that helps the running game. 

#223 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:06 PM

In 13 seasons in Carolina. Smith Sr played 16 games 4 times. In 7 seasons in Arizona Boldin played 16 games twice

Yeah...this feels like an intentional attempt to mischaracterize these players' careers.

Steve Smith in his career in Carolina played 16 games 4 times, 15 games 5 times, and 14 games 3 times. He had a single season significantly shortened by injury in his age 25 season where he played in only one game.

He averaged 14 games a year in his time there. Take out that fluke injury year early in his career and it goes up over 15.

Boldin similarly averaged 13.5 games per season and was 3 years younger when acquired by the Ravens than Green would be.

Green is averaging just over 12 games per season, and has shown a marked uptick in injury problems in the last two seasons.

I'm not going to ding a player for missing a game or two every season. It's football. However, Green warrants more concern when you put all the pieces together, at least for me. His injuries have also all been primarily foot and ankle injuries, which can immediately sap a receiver's ability to play.

#224 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

He wouldn't be the only move I'd make, but I'd love to try to rejuvenate Corey Davis's career. He feels like a prime candidate for a change of scenery.

I'd also check in on Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp, along with T.Y. Hilton, Dede Westbrook, and Allen Robinson.

Maybe none are available for a reasonable price, but I'd at least ask.

#225 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,713 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:18 PM

He wouldn't be the only move I'd make, but I'd love to try to rejuvenate Corey Davis's career. He feels like a prime candidate for a change of scenery.

I can't see the Titans trading him, but I like the idea.

#226 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:20 PM

I can't see the Titans trading him, but I like the idea.

Maybe not. I think he's in his final year next year though, and AJ Brown is the new darling in town. They also are about to make Tannehill one of the 5 highest paid players in football.

Couldn't hurt to ask.

#227 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:49 PM

Bring back McPhee on the cheap. Looked like he had some gas left in the tank. You just have to limit the snaps.

#228 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:28 PM

I don't think the Ravens are offensively compromised just because they lost to the Titans and Roman completely deviated from what they did for 16 games and averaged over 30 points.  The offense is the least of their worries, even if they don't sign or draft a big body receiver.  The defense is another story entirely.  This team must get younger and faster at linebacker and they must figure out a way to generate more of a pass rush.  Outside of Judon, it was almost non-existent.  They're going to lose Pierce but I think they'll ultimately be OK along the front 4.  Linebacking and pass rush was their main weakness and I have no doubt that's where the attention will be placed in the off season. 

• bmore_ken and JStruds like this

#229 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,269 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:05 PM

Maybe not. I think he's in his final year next year though, and AJ Brown is the new darling in town. They also are about to make Tannehill one of the 5 highest paid players in football.

Couldn't hurt to ask.

Tannehill would be a prime Franchise tag target. Pay him for one year, make him prove it.

I certainly don’t see them going up to $130M on him, which would be just below Goff and just above Wentz for 7th highest paid QB the league currently.
@BSLMikeRandall

#230 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:39 PM

Tannehill would be a prime Franchise tag target. Pay him for one year, make him prove it.

I certainly don’t see them going up to $130M on him, which would be just below Goff and just above Wentz for 7th highest paid QB the league currently.

You could be right. Every game he wins is driving his price up though.

#231 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,269 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:48 AM

You could be right. Every game he wins is driving his price up though.

Yeah but not that high. Nick Foles was a tad younger and got 4/$88M. Probably a good comp.
  • bmore_ken likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#232 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:10 AM

I think both Tannehill and Foles are mediocre quarterbacks who just got hot for a short period and cashed in on it.  It's ridiculous to me what Foles got and probably what Tannehill will get.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#233 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 January 2020 - 06:23 AM

Tannehill may not be mediocre.

Hard to judge a player under Gase and in the situation he was put in while in Miami.

He has a lot of talent.

I think it’s more than likely he’s not much more than an average QB but he could be more.

No way I’m doing anything outside of a franchise tag for him though...unless there is some long term deal that can be worked out where you can get out of it after 1 year.
@BSLRobShields

#234 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:43 AM

I don't think the Ravens are offensively compromised just because they lost to the Titans and Roman completely deviated from what they did for 16 games and averaged over 30 points.  The offense is the least of their worries, even if they don't sign or draft a big body receiver.  The defense is another story entirely.  This team must get younger and faster at linebacker and they must figure out a way to generate more of a pass rush.  Outside of Judon, it was almost non-existent.  They're going to lose Pierce but I think they'll ultimately be OK along the front 4.  Linebacking and pass rush was their main weakness and I have no doubt that's where the attention will be placed in the off season. 

Assuming the Ravens run a similar offense next season, the lack of another impact WR (I'm projecting Brown to be one) doesn't strike me as a critical need.

Even with Judon, it required blitz after blitz to generate pressure.   I'm with you; Inside and outside LBs are the team's most critical needs going forward.     

• bmore_ken likes this

#235 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:07 AM

Assuming the Ravens run a similar offense next season, the lack of another impact WR (I'm projecting Brown to be one) doesn't strike me as a critical need.

Even with Judon, it required blitz after blitz to generate pressure. I'm with you; Inside and outside LBs are the team's most critical needs going forward.

I think it's a credit to Martindale that he managed to get this defense playing at an above-average level. I don't think it was ever actually very good aside from the secondary. He just did what he had to do to find ways to generate pressure. Eventually it caught up with us.

#236 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

Even with Judon, it required blitz after blitz to generate pressure.   I'm with you; Inside and outside LBs are the team's most critical needs going forward.     

I don't know who's available in free agency but it's going to be tough to find a linebacker in the draft who's going to come in and produce immediate results, especially as low as they'll be picking.  I have a feeling Martindale's going to have to stay blitz happy again next year. 

#237 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:18 AM

I don't know who's available in free agency but it's going to be tough to find a linebacker in the draft who's going to come in and produce immediate results, especially as low as they'll be picking. I have a feeling Martindale's going to have to stay blitz happy again next year.

I agree. Although I imagine it doesn't matter who is on the roster, wink is going to blitz. Even if he had Mack and Miller as his edge rushers he'd still be bringing 5 or more on most plays. That's what his defense is designed for.

With that said, I would 100% attempt to lure Clowney and Littleton here. Maybe even Blake Martinez. This LBer group is terrible. Rebuild it and this defense is a top 3 unit again.

#238 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,799 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

If they tag Tannehill, they can't tag Henry.  Both are free agents.

#239 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:17 AM

I'd also check in on Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp, along with T.Y. Hilton, Dede Westbrook, and Allen Robinson.

Maybe none are available for a reasonable price, but I'd at least ask.

Woods & Kupp not going anywhere. Now the contract on Cooks might be a reason for him to go with some of his injury issues.

#240 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

Woods & Kupp not going anywhere. Now the contract on Cooks might be a reason for him to go with some of his injury issues.

I wouldn't be so sure. Kupp might be too cheap to part with, but Woods could be a candidate. Cooks certainly is but I don't think he's a great fit for several reasons (skill sets injury history, etc.)

St. Louis is in cap hell right now. I bet they would be willing to jettison some contracts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners