Orioles sign Jose Iglesias

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 08:18 PM

Can wait for Iglesias to sing the National Anthem...

https://www.youtube....h?v=1g8gJlxYHPE

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,620 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:23 PM

BSL: O's Sign Iglesias

https://www.baltimor...-jose-iglesias/

#23 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:26 AM

Iglesias won't be blocking anyone, so the signing makes sense in that regard as well.

• FFH and sandiegosean like this

#24 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,971 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:46 AM

I'm excited to watch his glove, anything he produces at the plate is a plus, although his career 12% strikeout rate is cool. Now, we just need pitchers who can keep the ball on the ground.

Do we have any of those?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#25 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:50 AM

Do we have any of those?

Well, even home runs eventually hit the ground.

#26 BSLNickStevens

BSLNickStevens

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:53 PM

Do we have any of those?

Seeing as Orioles starters ranked 29th in GB rate.....no. 

John Means- 30.9% GB rate

Reynaldo Lopez, who ranked last in the majors among qualified pitchers- 35%

@NickStevensR

Go Dukes!

Support your local minor league baseball team.

#27 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,186 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:50 PM

I'm not sure the difference between Iglesias and Martin is significant.

I think it is. But that’s more because of Martin than Iglesias being some stud. He’s very solid though. Maybe Martin could be a similar player in a few years.

#28 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:35 PM

I think it is. But that’s more because of Martin than Iglesias being some stud. He’s very solid though. Maybe Martin could be a similar player in a few years.

Didn't Martin have a good defensive reputation?  His bat projection was the reason he was available. 

Chris refers often to the interview with Mejdal that discusses the changing method for evaluating these guys as defenders....at the time they were still promoting Martin's defense.

I haven't looked yet, but I'll pull the Inside Edge performance as a means at looking at potential difference in plays made.

#29 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 02:57 AM

Great signing, great fit for the team as it is constructed, and hopefully they will get 1-2 relatively productive seasons out of him before the next person, hopefully a prospect, takes over. 

My hope is that Martin rounds out and becomes a real value player. 

#30 BSLBobPhelan

BSLBobPhelan

BSL Analyst

• Moderators
  • 9,186 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 January 2020 - 03:35 AM

Didn't Martin have a good defensive reputation? His bat projection was the reason he was available.

Chris refers often to the interview with Mejdal that discusses the changing method for evaluating these guys as defenders....at the time they were still promoting Martin's defense.

I haven't looked yet, but I'll pull the Inside Edge performance as a means at looking at potential difference in plays made.

Statcast is unveiling their infield defense Outs Above Average soon, I’m very curious to see what percentile Martin was in last year.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#31 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:23 AM

Good signing by the Orioles.

He should help solidify the Orioles infield defense. Hopefully, Martin will benefit from playing in Triple A this year.

#32 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

In a Sun article, today, Elias said this addition would allow Martin to return to a more natural developmental curve. He was referring to the idea of sending him back down to AA or AAA. But then he immediately said they aren't opposed to Martin staying with the O's and learning from Iglesias, by using Martin in more favorable offensive situations. 

They certainly know better than me, but Martin's stats say he isn't ready for MLB. I don't know that more seasoning will help the 25 yr old, but it seems like it would be better for him to go down, than to hit ~.200 for the O's. 

• russsnyder likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#33 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 09:04 AM

Martin hit .284 with a .713 OPS in the second half last year, so that seems promising...  but I think Hyde was basically only playing him against LHP at that point.  For the year, he hit .170 with a .513 OPS against RHP.

• russsnyder and sandiegosean like this

#34 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:52 AM

Martin hit .284 with a .713 OPS in the second half last year, so that seems promising...  but I think Hyde was basically only playing him against LHP at that point.  For the year, he hit .170 with a .513 OPS against RHP.

I think Hyde did a really good job with Martin during the second half of last season.

If it wasn't a straight up platoon with Villar, Hyde was at least picking his spots when it came to putting Martin in the lineup.

#35 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

In a Sun article, today, Elias said this addition would allow Martin to return to a more natural developmental curve. He was referring to the idea of sending him back down to AA or AAA. But then he immediately said they aren't opposed to Martin staying with the O's and learning from Iglesias, by using Martin in more favorable offensive situations. 

They certainly know better than me, but Martin's stats say he isn't ready for MLB. I don't know that more seasoning will help the 25 yr old, but it seems like it would be better for him to go down, than to hit ~.200 for the O's. 

I'd like to see Martin get some time in the outfield during spring training.

I think he can be a useful utility player with his speed and his ability to play short.

#36 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

I suppose this is at the heart of the decision making. Will time at AAA improve his hitting against RHP? Or (at 25) is this who he is? 

There's nothing to lose, either way. But I like that Elias said they'll do what's best for Martin and his development. Typically the team will always get priority over a player. But in this case, since there really isn't a team, why not take the player first approach.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#37 BSLNickStevens

BSLNickStevens

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

Statcast is unveiling their infield defense Outs Above Average soon, I’m very curious to see what percentile Martin was in last year.

Interesting stuff to play around with. Alberto ranked 12th among second basemen. Richie Martin 30th among shortstops. Savant was not a fan of his defense either.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

@NickStevensR

Go Dukes!

#38 BSLNickStevens

BSLNickStevens

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:13 PM

Among third baseman- 

Alberto 17th with 3 OAA

Nunez 62nd with 0

Ruiz 105th with -5

(Vladdy Jr ranked 110th out of 110 with -16 OAA)

Jose Iglesias- 6th among SS with 12 OAA. Only 7 infielders in baseball were better.

• BSLBobPhelan likes this

@NickStevensR

Go Dukes!

#39 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:18 PM

Would I also be the 62nd best at 3B, since my OAA is presumably 0?

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,620 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

Among third baseman- 

Alberto 17th with 3 OAA

Nunez 62nd with 0

Ruiz 105th with -5

(Vladdy Jr ranked 110th out of 110 with -16 OAA)

Jose Iglesias- 6th among SS with 12 OAA. Only 7 infielders in baseball were better.

Ruiz isn't Machado or Arenado; but he's above average defensively at 3rd.  Easily better than Alberto.  (Though I do think Alberto was better at 3rd vs. 2nd.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners