#21 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

It's not about Will Wilson.  Please stop. 

Please don't suggest the ONLY guy the Angels were to deal with Cozart is Wilson.

The Angels were willing to deal a top 5 prospect in their system, from their depth, to shed Cozart.

We were willing to trade for 2019 draft picks not in their top30 for Dylan Bundy and his modest salary.

Were those 4 guys the ONLY 4 guys worth trading for in the Angels system?  Those 4?

1) It is about Wilson because that was the deal and thus, part of the evaluation.

2) Like I said, I’m sure they take Adell but that’s not realistic.

3) They traded Bundy and got rid of his salary for those 4. You are now saying, would they take on more than double the salary they got rid of and take on 4 similar prospects? Who knows? Just because they were good enough to deal for Bundy, a mediocre pitcher set to make a decent salary, doesn’t mean they would have taken on double his salary for 4 similar players. In other words, this comparison isn’t remotely what they actually did.

Again, the most likely scenario is that ownership is cheap and greedy...have said that from the beginning.

Just saying that there are many reasons why a deal may not be made.

@BSLRobShields

#22 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:53 PM

Just saying that there are many reasons why a deal may not be made.

No, there's only 2 reasons. 

We know the Orioles have plenty of payroll capacity.

We know the Angels were willing to trade prospect value for moving Cozart and his 13M.

...either

1) Elias wasn't [whatever you want to insert in here] to build the deal 

...or

2) Elias wasn't allowed (ownership) to use resources in that way

Those are the options.

I think it's 2.

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2020 - 04:37 PM

What is he doing heavy handed?

I think the way he has canned some of the long term contributors, without ever talking to them, is heavy handed.

Two points of clarification.

1. I do not mean Brady Anderson.

2.  It is his ship to steer so he can do anything he wants, but a little more class at times seems to be in order.

@mikeghg

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,801 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 05:59 PM

dude is right. It's not about Wilson. He as the specific player is irrelevant. So is Cozart, for that matter.

#25 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:52 PM

dude is right. It's not about Wilson. He as the specific player is irrelevant. So is Cozart, for that matter.

This is wrong in the context of talking about the deal.

It’s right in the general concept of talking about taking on salary for prospects.
@BSLRobShields

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,719 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:32 PM

Wood, McHugh, and a reliever please. 

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,801 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

This is wrong in the context of talking about the deal.

I don't agree.  If you wanna go with the hypothetical that the O's don't like him for some reason, then there must still be other guys in the Angels organization that also add up to around $12M in value that we could've gotten instead.

I really doubt the Angels hang up the phone if you ask for the guy they rate right below Wilson and maybe one much lower guy instead.  I doubt it so much that I completely reject the hypothetical defense of the Orioles not doing this trade that supposes 'what if they just didn't like Wilson?'.  If you don't like him, then you get someone else instead.  Lots of prospects or prospect combos are worth taking on $12M in salary.  I'm all but certain that an acceptable deal with the Angels was possible, if only we had been allowed to ask.

#28 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:31 PM

I don't agree. If you wanna go with the hypothetical that the O's don't like him for some reason, then there must still be other guys in the Angels organization that also add up to around $12M in value that we could've gotten instead.

I really doubt the Angels hang up the phone if you ask for the guy they rate right below Wilson and maybe one much lower guy instead. I doubt it so much that I completely reject the hypothetical defense of the Orioles not doing this trade that supposes 'what if they just didn't like Wilson?'. If you don't like him, then you get someone else instead. Lots of prospects or prospect combos are worth taking on $12M in salary. I'm all but certain that an acceptable deal with the Angels was possible, if only we had been allowed to ask.

Why must there be other guys?

It’s not a good system and I assume Adell is off limits.

And even if there is/were other guys, maybe those guys also were off limits?

So, we are really talking about (realistically speaking) guys in the 10-30 range...maybe nothing is worth it for 12M
@BSLRobShields

#29 BSLNickStevens

BSLNickStevens

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

Roch says a deal with a 4th catcher may be close. Caleb Joseph? With the recent run on backup catchers, I assumed a signing would be happening sometime this week. 

Roch's piece- https://www.masnspor...ith-givens.html

@NickStevensR

Go Dukes!

Support your local minor league baseball team.

#30 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:39 PM

Thrilling!
@BSLRobShields

#31 BSLNickStevens

BSLNickStevens

Orioles Analyst

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

Don't you mean "print the World Series tickets!" Isn't that what you're supposed to say in this situation?

@NickStevensR

Go Dukes!

Support your local minor league baseball team.

#32 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,663 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:48 PM

Don't you mean "print the World Series tickets!" Isn't that what you're supposed to say in this situation?

That occurred when they signed Iglesias.
@BSLRobShields

#33 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

Roch says a deal with a 4th catcher may be close. Caleb Joseph? With the recent run on backup catchers, I assumed a signing would be happening sometime this week. 

Roch's piece- https://www.masnspor...ith-givens.html

That ranks as a yawn.  Please address the pitching staff.

@mikeghg

#34 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

Please address the pitching staff.

Heeelllloooo, pitching staff!

• DJ MC likes this

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Heeelllloooo, pitching staff!

Yea, that is about all the Orioles have done too.

@mikeghg

#36 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:37 PM

...and the riveting answer we've all been waiting for to round out an exciting and dynamic off-season is....

<<drum roll>>

....Bryan Holaday.

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,083 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:59 PM

If the Orioles do not add to the current pitching staff, I honestly don't know how they piece the innings together to get through this already lost season.  

The worst part of the Ravens losing early, is we now have to look toward the 2020 baseball season.  Ugh!

@mikeghg

#38 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:25 PM

If the Orioles do not add to the current pitching staff, I honestly don't know how they piece the innings together to get through this already lost season.  

The worst part of the Ravens losing early, is we now have to look toward the 2020 baseball season.  Ugh!

I saw on the BSL facebook post about the loss, one guy posted he was looking forward to baseball. I responded he must not be in Baltimore. 

• fishteacher likes this

#39 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

I don't think this is true.

They start with

Cobb

Means

Wojo

Stewart

Bailey

Hess

Rucker

...and they'll certainly be considering guys like Akin, Kremer, Lowther and Zimmerman soon enough in the 2020 season.  Akin and Kremer are the 2 you likely want to get to the most at some point.

...you have guys like Castro (and there will be others at AAA) that you can throw in there and you can always straight bullpen a game (and the Orioles have plenty of relievers to work through)

If you are worried about winning...sure, it's a challenge. 

Can they drag through another poor 100+ loss season?  Easily.

• bmore_ken likes this

#40 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

...and the riveting answer we've all been waiting for to round out an exciting and dynamic off-season is....

<<drum roll>>

....Bryan Holaday.

giphy.gif

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners