Photo

MLB Teams, How are they run versus how should they be run

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Running MLB Teams (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Your opinion: How SHOULD MLB Teams be run

1. Fan only (win, spend beyond team resources, whatever it takes) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Fan only (win, spend within team resources) (5 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

3. Fan-Business (win, spend with some profit ~30%) (6 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

4. Business only (win if you can, make more money) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Business only (just make all the money you can, who cares about winning) (0 votes [0.00%])

You opinion: How ARE MLB teams run?

1. Fan only (win, spend beyond team resources, whatever it takes) (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Fan only (win, spend within team resources) (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. Fan-Business (win, spend with some profit ~30%) (5 votes [45.45%] - View)

4. Business only (win if you can, make more money) (5 votes [45.45%] - View)

5. Business only (just make all the money you can, who cares about winning) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:05 PM

As an offshoot of the other thread, it seemed like maybe a poll could align some opinions on all sides.

Obviously there's some generality here. You have owners from Illitch to Loria so there certainly some variance in Q2, but on average.

I was going to include a third question about the Orioles, but didn't want to go there for simplicity.

If we want, we can share anecdotal opinions about how different teams are run based on things we publicly know.

Hopefully the poll options are reasonable.  they are from the owners perspective.

btw, really like the way the poll questions set up.  Hadn't done one in a while.

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,606 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:09 PM

Answer is the same for both
@BSLRobShields

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,620 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:37 PM

The how are teams run category is a bit general, as it's going to depend by ownership group. 

• Mackus likes this

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:37 PM

The answer to the second question varies based on the franchise.
  • Mackus likes this

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:41 PM

The how are teams run category is a bit general, as it's going to depend by ownership group. 

The answer to the second question varies based on the franchise.

I agree it's going to vary between the 2 extremes....but it's an average (your opinion) of the approaches out there.

You have the late Mike Illitch at one end and someone like Frank McCourt at the other, but there's some average in there based on all of the teams current and past..

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 10:08 PM

This should be fun to watch  :mrgreen:

• russsnyder likes this

#7 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,243 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:49 AM

I picked option two, then option four. Though only the extremes seem like bad answers. I also picked them based on what I think the Orioles should do, and what I think the Orioles actually do.

Why would you own a sports franchise if you aren’t a fan? From a fan perspective and a business perspective, it would benefit you to try to win games all the time and not just accidentally, or “when we’re ready to.” Nothing about Orioles ownership tells me they are baseball fans.

Keep in mind we’re talking about billionaires. If the O’s P&L is in the red a little bit, it matters hardly at all to ownership considering they can easily make up the difference in other ventures, and other investments they have made (or should make. Rich people make their money work for them).

Completely different than mom and pop who put their life savings into something and a few months in the red equals not paying the rent, not hiring help, eventually closing the doors.

Also consider that if they are terrible business owners, they can transfer ownership by having someone cut them a check with three friggin commas on it. Just awful consequences. Terrible.
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

I picked option two, then option four. Though only the extremes seem like bad answers. I also picked them based on what I think the Orioles should do, and what I think the Orioles actually do.

Why would you own a sports franchise if you aren’t a fan? From a fan perspective and a business perspective, it would benefit you to try to win games all the time and not just accidentally, or “when we’re ready to.” Nothing about Orioles ownership tells me they are baseball fans.

Keep in mind we’re talking about billionaires. If the O’s P&L is in the red a little bit, it matters hardly at all to ownership considering they can easily make up the difference in other ventures, and other investments they have made (or should make. Rich people make their money work for them).

Completely different than mom and pop who put their life savings into something and a few months in the red equals not paying the rent, not hiring help, eventually closing the doors.

Also consider that if they are terrible business owners, they can transfer ownership by having someone cut them a check with three friggin commas on it. Just awful consequences. Terrible.

You'd own a sports franchise, even if you hated sports, because it can be extremely profitable.

• BSLMikeRandall and bmore_ken like this

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

You'd own a sports franchise, even if you hated sports, because it can be extremely profitable.

You're never going to get that through to some of these people. 

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,779 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:52 PM

You're never going to get that through to some of these people. 

It's interesting that you decide to insult people as being thick while you're not even correctly identifying the context of the post you're quoting.  Steve is not talking about what you are inferring he is.

Mike asked (somewhat rhetorically) "Why would you own a sports franchise if you aren't a fan" and Steve responded that some sports-hating businessperson might do so "because [owning a sport franchise] can be extremely profitable".

Steve in that post was not responding to the question of how should a franchise be run.  Just stating that they are great financial investments.  However he did state his opinion on that question with his vote in the poll.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

It's interesting that you decide to insult people

Where's the insult in what I just posted?

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,779 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

Where's the insult in what I just posted?

It was the entire sentence.

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

It was the entire sentence.

It's an insult that to say some people will never agree that it's a business that can potentially make money for the owner? Ok Sparky. Whatever.

#14 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,675 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

It's an insult that to say some people will never agree that it's a business that can potentially make money for the owner? Ok Sparky. Whatever.

I've yet to see one person who doesn't "see" that.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#15 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

Yea, I think there are examples of every possibility except for maybe the first.

If you are an example of #1, it probably is short term.

Different sport, but I think Mark Cuban ran the Mavs like that in their glory day(s), but I don't think that is the case now

@mikeghg

#16 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 02:46 PM

I bet you were a big hit on the Sun boards (this is not the Sun boards).

• BSLRobShields likes this

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 January 2020 - 03:40 PM

Yea, I think there are examples of every possibility except for maybe the first.

Mike Illitch clearly ran the Tigers as a fan, for the fans.  HIs kids have pulled back a lot on that.

He was easy prey for agents in that respect and I generally think why ownership groups like to keep 'business' in the consideration.  If it's not, then the market is unbounded.  Promoting the 'business' aspect just keeps salary in check. 

• Mike B and bmore_ken like this

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:04 PM

Mike Illitch clearly ran the Tigers as a fan, for the fans.  HIs kids have pulled back a lot on that.

He was easy prey for agents in that respect and I generally think why ownership groups like to keep 'business' in the consideration.  If it's not, then the market is unbounded.  Promoting the 'business' aspect just keeps salary in check. 

Yes, he did.  I kind of forgot about the Tigers.

@mikeghg

#19 weird-O

weird-O

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

Yes, he did.  I kind of forgot about the Tigers.

He's the only one who comes to mind though, in baseball. Someone mentioned Mark Cuban. He ran his team like a fan. But those guys are a very rare exception. I suppose they had so much success in their others businesses, that they bought and ran their teams as a genuine hobby. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners