Photo

Balt Sun: The Orioles spent a year building their analytics department. Now they’re putting those tools to use.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,733 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 December 2019 - 09:11 PM

Wow, I don't agree with that at all.

The Orioles have a tremendous MLB history, they have a core 5 including Frank, Brooks, Eddie and Palmer beyond the icon that is Cal. Players really like their time here, when you look at guys like Surhoff and Bordick (and others). They have the baseline for measuring all stadiums, a forgiving media and a (well, could have a) passionate fan-base.

The fact is the Orioles have no idea how to leverage their real advantages.

Haha, I can't believe a person is actually arguing that the Orioles history is some sort of significant advantage for the organization to tap into.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#42 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:30 PM

They leverage their strong baseball history and fanbase to bring in the guys they want (long history of trading for a guy in their last year then extending them) and blending FA, trades and development into the on-field product. They've made lots of mistakes (contracts, etc) but don't let that derail the end goal of each season and they, like the Orioles, are one of the 14 Competitive Balance pick teams.

...can you guys at least acknowledge I wrote the bolded above?

I typically am not talking about the bigger FAs.  My general plans wouldn't include those FAs for some specific reasons.

My mantra would be "draft last every year".

That means you have the best record and never have to sign a compensated (top of the market) FA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners