Photo

Balt Sun: The Orioles spent a year building their analytics department. Now they’re putting those tools to use.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,620 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:43 AM

Balt Sun: The Orioles spent a year building their analytics department. Now they’re putting those tools to use.

• BSLSethBondroff likes this

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:00 AM

...in 2025.

#3 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,064 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:43 AM

Balt Sun: The Orioles spent a year building their analytics department. Now they’re putting those tools to use.

Sounds good!!

Gotta head out to some minor league games around the area this season for sure. 

@beginthebegin71

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

After 9 full seasons of executing their plan, does anyone think the Astros are a developmental giant?

Very little of their on-field success the last 3 years has come from internal execution (draft and player development).

Almost none after a handful of guys.  

...and now they are a bottom 10 system.

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 December 2019 - 03:52 PM

After 9 full seasons of executing their plan, does anyone think the Astros are a developmental giant?

Very little of their on-field success the last 3 years has come from internal execution (draft and player development).

Almost none after a handful of guys.  

...and now they are a bottom 10 system.

If we develop a "handful of guys" like the Astros then we will be in fine shape. I'd say developing a handful of guys that are all on your MLB roster and contributing is a pretty solid start to a competitive team.

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 December 2019 - 04:44 PM

If we develop a "handful of guys" like the Astros then we will be in fine shape. I'd say developing a handful of guys that are all on your MLB roster and contributing is a pretty solid start to a competitive team.

I know you think you're making a point, but you just said everything about 'rebuilding' is useless.

Hey, we agree.

You don't know where those handful of guys come from.  Nelson Cruz (1/8 and nobody wanted him) and Steve Pearce (released during May, re-signed) were 2 of them in 2014.  That was our impact guy's (Machado) lowest WAR season....and our most wins.

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:43 PM

I know you think you're making a point, but you just said everything about 'rebuilding' is useless.

Hey, we agree.

You don't know where those handful of guys come from. Nelson Cruz (1/8 and nobody wanted him) and Steve Pearce (released during May, re-signed) were 2 of them in 2014. That was our impact guy's (Machado) lowest WAR season....and our most wins.

How many of those guys from their "bottom 10 system" were traded for pieces like Verlander, Cole, Greinke, and other pieces that helped them become world series contenders?

Prospects are capital. Just because they aren't making it to your MLB roster doesn't mean they didn't help you win.

They also do a great job in the international market, and have great scouts. Getting Yordan Alvarez in a deal was an absolute coup. It's hard for me to think of many moves they have made that turned out to be mistakes.
  • Mike B likes this

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:08 PM

Sounds good!!

Gotta head out to some minor league games around the area this season for sure. 

You can go to Camden Yards for that. :-P

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:11 PM

How many of those guys from their "bottom 10 system" were traded for pieces like Verlander, Cole, Greinke, and other pieces that helped them become world series contenders?

Prospects are capital. Just because they aren't making it to your MLB roster doesn't mean they didn't help you win.

They also do a great job in the international market, and have great scouts. Getting Yordan Alvarez in a deal was an absolute coup. It's hard for me to think of many moves they have made that turned out to be mistakes.

Yep, their current system, is not great, but they have been able to bring in some top talent using their prospects.

@mikeghg

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 December 2019 - 11:09 PM

Yep, their current system, is not great, but they have been able to bring in some top talent using their prospects.

They have not used top prospects to bring in those other guys.

I mean, you can go look at the guys they gave up in those trades.

#11 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:49 AM

They have not used top prospects to bring in those other guys.

I mean, you can go look at the guys they gave up in those trades.

That's even more impressive.

They traded lower level prospects to take on these contracts once they became a perennial contender.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:31 AM

But how did they miss out on not hiring dude?

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:10 AM

I long for the days, where we can talk about signing and acquiring players, as opposed to building an analytics department.  I groaned when I saw, the headline in yesterdays paper.

Merry Christmas from the Orioles, we have added a bunch of baseball accountants.  Quick, where is my checkbook.  I have to get season tickets before they are all gone.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,459 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:32 AM

I long for the days, where we can talk about signing and acquiring players, as opposed to building an analytics department.  I groaned when I saw, the headline in yesterdays paper.

Merry Christmas from the Orioles, we have added a bunch of baseball accountants.  Quick, where is my checkbook.  I have to get season tickets before they are all gone.

Yep, the old days when we would sign Deivi Cruz, Omar Daal, and Rick Helling were just compelling AF.

• bmore_ken likes this
@DJ_McCann

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,779 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:55 AM

Yep, the old days when we would sign Deivi Cruz, Omar Daal, and Rick Helling were just compelling AF.

Why are stupid choices the only alternative you are considering?
  • BSLMikeRandall, dude and russsnyder like this

#16 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,064 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 December 2019 - 12:31 PM

Houston whiffed on a few top picks for sure, but still drafted Springer, Correa, Bregman, and McCullers in the first round of their drafts. Not bad. All helped them to multiple playoff appearances and a World Championship.

• Chris B and bmore_ken like this
@beginthebegin71

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,459 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:16 PM

Why are stupid choices the only alternative you are considering?

Maybe they should have specified the years they want to emulate :)

• bmore_ken likes this
@DJ_McCann

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:31 PM

I get you are content with just throwing seasons away.  I am not the youngest guy anymore.  I have no stomach for not even trying to field a team and being okay with losing 110-115 games, for the third year in a row.

We will have to agree to disagree.

@mikeghg

#19 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,064 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:36 PM

I get you are content with just throwing seasons away.  I am not the youngest guy anymore.  I have no stomach for not even trying to field a team and being okay with losing 110-115 games, for the third year in a row.

We will have to agree to disagree.

It doesn't matter how any of us feel about it, this is the approach Elias and co. have chosen to take. 

I think it's better to embrace the rebuild, and try to make the best of it. To each his own obviously, but getting mad about it does no one any good in my opinion. This is the hand we've been dealt as fans, and I'm hoping it'll be that much sweeter whenever it is that we win having gone through this. 

• bmore_ken likes this
@beginthebegin71

#20 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:45 PM

It doesn't matter how any of us feel about it, this is the approach Elias and co. have chosen to take. 

I think it's better to embrace the rebuild, and try to make the best of it. To each his own obviously, but getting mad about it does no one any good in my opinion. This is the hand we've been dealt as fans, and I'm hoping it'll be that much sweeter whenever it is that we win having gone through this. 

I'm pretty sure that's how everyone in Houston is feeling these days. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners