#41 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:19 PM

Of course all wins are good. But I will be crystal clear. I would much rather see a team go all in when they have a core like the O's did for several years then tank/back off/rebuild or whatever you want to call it than a team muddle in sort of being competitive but not really push their chips into the middle and not win it all. IMO the O's did not do that. They built a decent team but when they got there they didn't do what it takes to get over the top.

I'm not defending player acquisition in any of those years because I generally think the Orioles did a poor job both short term and long term...

...but there's no reason you have to sacrifice winning in the future for winning now.  It's why I talk about being intentional and having a plan.  That plan can change (great) but you have to start with a team (each year) that can (project to) create opportunity.  You don't specifically trade your first level of guys (the ones you are planning on using) but you build the depth to improve the core plan, cover holes, adjust for failure, leverage a situation, whatever. You can talk me out of anyone (probably) so there's always that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners