Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,676 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:30 PM

You were expecting what exactly?

Just avoiding truths like the fact that ownership is still meddling in the decision making would've been good enough for me. That has almost completely taken the air out of the balloon for me with my hopes that Elias & the sons represented a new day in Baltimore.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:31 PM

All of the guys selected in the minor league phase have intriguing qualities. I realize very few people get into the Rule 5 but I love learning about these new guys and as someone who watches minor league baseball every day, it's another way for me to stay involved. 

Santiago hits the ball, mostly singles, but had a 119 wRC+ in High-A and Eric Longenhagen just noted that Christopher Cespedes had the second highest average exit velocity in the minors last year. Will they ever make it in the big leagues? Probably not, but they could fun to watch while in Frederick/Bowie this year.

Rule 5 is one of those niche areas of baseball, cause most, if not all of these guys usually have ONE ML quality trait, but the full package isn't there yet, if it ever is.

I like clearance shopping personally...especially when you are a team that has a ways to go, and apparently has financial restrictions.

@JeremyMStrain

#23 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,814 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:46 PM

Mate, we’re Os fans. We are into the rule 5 whether we want to be or not.
  • JeremyStrain, ChaosLex, DJ MC and 1 other like this

@fuzydunlop

#24 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,606 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:27 PM

You were expecting what exactly?

Nothing although a Mancini deal would have been nice.
@BSLRobShields

#25 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,606 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:28 PM

Just avoiding truths like the fact that ownership is still meddling in the decision making would've been good enough for me. That has almost completely taken the air out of the balloon for me with my hopes that Elias & the sons represented a new day in Baltimore.

Yep.

I like that Elias can do a lot of things but he can’t do everything and this organization needs everything.

@BSLRobShields

#26 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,064 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:14 PM

Agree with that, Givens too.

@beginthebegin71

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:49 AM

Such an inspiring winter meetings, yet again!

Pretty much what I expected.

@mikeghg

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:55 AM

I have been critical as hell of the Orioles, but I am not sure there is any real evidence that the sons are meddling.  

Elias is following the exact script the Astros did.  Houston, got down to 26 million at one point in payroll.  The Orioles are doing exactly that.

I know, they are involved in not waiving Davis, and I wish they would, but the feeling is why eat the contract, when basically they are trying to lose.

@mikeghg

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

Only if they get a real return.  I know you love trades, but unless, we get something real for one of our last remaining good players, there is no reason to make this horrible product worse.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#30 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,606 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:30 AM

I have been critical as hell of the Orioles, but I am not sure there is any real evidence that the sons are meddling.
Elias is following the exact script the Astros did. Houston, got down to 26 million at one point in payroll. The Orioles are doing exactly that.
I know, they are involved in not waiving Davis, and I wish they would, but the feeling is why eat the contract, when basically they are trying to lose.

He basically said that he would like to do what the Giants did with the Angels deal and the brother won’t let him.

How is that not evidence of meddling?
@BSLRobShields

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:14 PM

He basically said that he would like to do what the Giants did with the Angels deal and the brother won’t let him.

How is that not evidence of meddling?

I missed that.   Although spending 13 million for a prospect is a lot.

@mikeghg

#32 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,676 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:52 PM

I missed that. Although spending 13 million for a prospect is a lot.

Yeah, he literally said he'd have to get their approval on a case-by-case basis. It's not about the particulars of that specific deal, it's about the reality that the sons appear to want to be intricately involved just like their dad was. Rather than give a budget and let them do their jobs.

At the same time, Elias has had way more flexibility than any other previous regime, with respect to turning over the staff throughout the player development and scouting ranks. That is definitely encouraging, to be fair.
  • mdrunning likes this
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#33 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,606 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 December 2019 - 03:55 PM

I missed that. Although spending 13 million for a prospect is a lot.

Not really..and Cozart represented a position of need.

Fangraphs values the #15 pick at around 15 million.
@BSLRobShields

#34 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,036 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:07 PM

Not really..and Cozart represented a position of need.

Fangraphs values the #15 pick at around 15 million.

For a team tearing payroll down, IMO, it does.

I feel like, people are getting upset, because we turned down an opportunity.  Was the opportunity, even offered.

And I do not want to defend the Orioles, because I really dislike how they are going about fielding a team.

@mikeghg

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,732 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:10 PM

I feel like, people are getting upset, because we turned down an opportunity. Was the opportunity, even offered.

And I do not want to defend the Orioles, because I really dislike how they are going about fielding a team.

A team tearing their payroll down is precisely the type of team that should be making moves like this since they don't have much money tied up in the MLB roster.

#36 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,606 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:14 PM

I feel like, people are getting upset, because we turned down an opportunity. Was the opportunity, even offered.

Mike already mentioned the payroll thing but on top of that, the payroll is plenty low.

And why wouldn’t they have had the opportunity? They dealt Bundy to the Angels. A very simple, add Cozart, your first rounder and we give you back some bogus prospect would have been easily accomplished.

@BSLRobShields

#37 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,676 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:51 PM

It's not like people are even bashing them for not making the Cozart deal - more that Elias has made clear the Sons wouldn't allow that type of thing, or at a minimum, would have to sign off on it. 

I think most of us were hoping, irrationally, that the sons would be different.

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,620 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 09:43 PM

Back to the picks... think the profiles of both are interesting. With the 26th spot, think both have a chance to stick. 

Looking forward to getting a look at Bailey. Read some pretty decent profiles on him.

If you end '20 feeling you've obtained a usable reliever out of Rucker, and a potential 5th starter out of Bailey; that would be great.  Realistically if you end '20, feeling 1 of them could potentially help you in some fashion, that's great. 

• sandiegosean likes this

#39 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,145 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:18 PM

So we got two 25 year olds of which one has some limited time at AAA and the other one zero.  I get the depth for the minors (but still think that's a load) but this seems to be a stretch. At best they would be 26 by the time they make the majors.

So that means that they would be, at best, in the majors for just over a year before they start to decline. I just don.t get this. Can't you find similar guys who are still in their early 20s?

• bmore_ken likes this

#40 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationLanham, MD

Posted 18 December 2019 - 04:22 PM

So we got two 25 year olds of which one has some limited time at AAA and the other one zero.  I get the depth for the minors (but still think that's a load) but this seems to be a stretch. At best they would be 26 by the time they make the majors.

So that means that they would be, at best, in the majors for just over a year before they start to decline. I just don.t get this. Can't you find similar guys who are still in their early 20s?

No, the age factor is why they were available. The guys in their early 20's are either being protected, or they are HS draft picks that haven't advanced far out of the lower levels, which usually means they aren't worth being taken.

This draft is basically made with the thought to keep teams from hoarding talent, and give players that might get blocked or just need a change of pace a chance somewhere else.

These are two of the most ML ready pitchers I've seen taken in a while, if you can pluck guys like this for free and they end up being a decent BP piece at a negligible salary you are winning. Even better if one turns out to be able to eat some SP innings.

• bmore_ken likes this
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners