Photo

BSL: Did the Bills figure out the Ravens?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 hallas

hallas

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:31 PM

This is a great point. But I think the reason for that was that they assigned a guy to Lamar on every play. And they had it set to flip in what direction he went. Plus they had an extra guy on many snaps in the box. So it's not that they didn't fall for the fakes, when you've got a free man, a fake doesn't matter. But you need 8-9+ in the box to do this.

That's hard to do from a front 7 perspective and a back 4 as well. If teams want to do this, I think we'll start to see a lot more deep TDs like we did from Hurst start to surface.

Teams with a good secondary can get away with stacking the box because the 1 on 1 doesn’t really hurt them. NE San Fran and Buffalo are top 3 pass defenses. NE we scored some points on defense as well, so the 37 points overstates the offense’s success.

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,475 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

Teams with a good secondary can get away with stacking the box because the 1 on 1 doesn’t really hurt them. NE San Fran and Buffalo are top 3 pass defenses. NE we scored some points on defense as well, so the 37 points overstates the offense’s success.

The Ravens offense won the Pats game, with 2 long and time consuming drives in the second half.

@mikeghg

#43 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:44 PM

The Ravens offense won the Pats game, with 2 long and time consuming drives in the second half.

Their defense, however, turned the tide with the fumble recovery/TD on Edelman. If that doesn't happen, New England likely scores and takes the lead.

#44 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,550 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:20 PM

I'm curious what made the Rams game such an outlier though, that's a good defense and that was a home prime time game for them. We also toasted the Pats, too. That's the 1st and 6th overall defenses according to DVOA. 

So I think there is more to it than just discipline and being good. 

I think it's a combination of several things including the scheme, but regarding talent it comes down to 2 positions in particular - DL and CBs. 

A good DL is needed to control the LoS and not let the Ravens just win up front. Good CBs are needed to take away receivers in tight man coverage which lets the defense crowd the box. The Bills, Steelers and Niners have all 3 of those. The Pats are great on the back end, but their DL is not elite. The Rams have a couple elite players but are built more to take away the pass.

• Filmstudy likes this
@gabefergy

#45 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:09 PM

I still think the jury's out on whether they've figured out how to contain Lamar because the passing conditions the past two weeks were abysmal, making the Ravens more one-dimensional.  We'll get a better idea tomorrow night since there will be little wind and it will be dry.  

• BSLJordanKough and bmore_ken like this

#46 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:17 PM

I still think the jury's out on whether they've figured out how to contain Lamar because the passing conditions the past two weeks were abysmal, making the Ravens more one-dimensional.  We'll get a better idea tomorrow night since there will be little wind and it will be dry.  

I agree with jamesdean and Gabe in all of this too. The adverse weather really slowed down the offenses, that being said, it did on both sides of the ball. So I don't think it's to a serious disadvantage to the Ravens.

But I also think the Ravens need to be ready to play through some weather and still take more shots against teams that pack the box. 

• BSLGabeFerguson and jamesdean like this

#47 Filmstudy

Filmstudy
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationSection 153

Posted 12 December 2019 - 02:33 AM

Great piece, Jordan.

You have an open invite to do an offense or defense podcast review with me if you would like to.

#48 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:45 PM

I agree with jamesdean and Gabe in all of this too. The adverse weather really slowed down the offenses, that being said, it did on both sides of the ball. So I don't think it's to a serious disadvantage to the Ravens.

But I also think the Ravens need to be ready to play through some weather and still take more shots against teams that pack the box.

Exactly. If you're playing in January, you have to be ready to play in any weather conditions.

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,647 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

Exactly. If you're playing in January, you have to be ready to play in any weather conditions.

Average temp in Miami in February is 75 deg.  I think we'll be able to tough that out :)

• BSLGabeFerguson and bmore_ken like this

#50 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:02 PM

Average temp in Miami in February is 75 deg.  I think we'll be able to tough that out :)

You know, it'll be interesting to see what the offense does tonight in the air. The wind/rain seemed to be a big effect on the offense. Was it specifically the rain/wind or would just "cold" be OK. 

#51 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 05:29 PM

Average temp in Miami in February is 75 deg. I think we'll be able to tough that out :)

Gotta get past January first. Maryland winters can be very unpredictable.

#52 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 459 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 12 December 2019 - 06:09 PM

You know, it'll be interesting to see what the offense does tonight in the air. The wind/rain seemed to be a big effect on the offense. Was it specifically the rain/wind or would just "cold" be OK.

Said pretty much the same thing to a colleague today. Hoping the last two games of just adequate offense were a combination of really good defense and adverse weather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners