Photo

BSL: Did the Bills figure out the Ravens?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:39 PM

This wasn't a great result for the Ravens offense, likely a dud overall. But was it schematically that the Bills shut the Ravens down and there was nothing there? Or were there plays left on the field that just weren't executed? 

https://www.baltimor...-figure-ravens/

Feel free to comment on my take here.

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeRandall like this

#2 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:46 PM

This wasn't a great result for the Ravens, likely a dud. But was it schematically that the Bills shut the Ravens down and there was nothing there? Or were there plays left on the field that just weren't executed?

https://www.baltimor...-figure-ravens/

Feel free to comment on my take here.

Why do people keep acting like what the Ravens are doing is something different? This offense has been around for decades. The blueprint is readily available. Teams have been using it. Problem is, Buffalo is the first one to stay disciplined the whole game with the thought that they were going to make anyone but Lamar beat them. And they won a lot of one on one battles up front.

Not to mention throwing conditions were not the best. Allen missed a lot of throws high as did Lamar. When a guy with a cannon like Allen is clearly effected by the wind, the throwing conditions are pretty telling.

I fully expect Lamar to continue his run. Not everyone has the front 7 that SF and Buffalo has.
  • Mike B, cprenegade and mdrunning like this

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,455 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:33 PM

Why do people keep acting like what the Ravens are doing is something different? This offense has been around for decades. The blueprint is readily available. Teams have been using it. Problem is, Buffalo is the first one to stay disciplined the whole game with the thought that they were going to make anyone but Lamar beat them. And they won a lot of one on one battles up front.

Not to mention throwing conditions were not the best. Allen missed a lot of throws high as did Lamar. When a guy with a cannon like Allen is clearly effected by the wind, the throwing conditions are pretty telling.

I fully expect Lamar to continue his run. Not everyone has the front 7 that SF and Buffalo has.

Yea this.  I really think this type of feeling from people who didn't believe in Lamar and want to say see, i told you.  The Ravens IMO, lost the battle up front Sunday.  And yet they still got it done.   

Lamar is a star, but even stars get slowed down at times.   

Moving on, quickly, to NYJ.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:49 PM

The Bills didn't do anything special other than sign better defensive players than a lot of defenses we've played. The wind didn't help either as Roman clearly decided not to try anything downfield.

#5 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:52 PM

Yea this. I really think this type of feeling from people who didn't believe in Lamar and want to say see, i told you. The Ravens IMO, lost the battle up front Sunday. And yet they still got it done.
Lamar is a star, but even stars get slowed down at times.
Moving on, quickly, to NYJ.

I don't know that I fully agree with your first part. But I will say anyone who expected Lamar to buzzsaw through everyone and score 40 a game are only kidding themselves. This seems like a knee jerk reaction because the offense, missing it's best receiving threat, was slowed for once.

Lamar has faced the same defensive concepts from other teams. He just didn't win with his arm enough to make Buffalo pay like he has to other teams. And he made some bad reads on the options. Buffalo gave him a glimpse of what to expect in the playoff match ups.

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:53 PM

No player in NFL history has put up 4-5 tds a game. Lamar wasn't going to keep doing that no matter what. If getting "figured out" is scoring 24 points and getting a W on the road in the cold and wind against a top 5 defense, I'll take getting "figured out."
  • bmore_ken likes this

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,901 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:56 PM

Did you guys actually read what Jordan wrote? Or are you just reading the subject line?

#8 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,187 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:09 PM

Leave the ends “at home”, limit the Lamar runs and make Lamar beat you with his arm.
@BSLRobShields

#9 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,431 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:15 PM

Did you guys actually read what Jordan wrote? Or are you just reading the subject line?

I did. Jordan did a great job, per usual.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#10 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,431 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:15 PM

I honestly think Lamar may be a tad tired. He is asked to do a ton.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,455 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 December 2019 - 10:59 PM

Yea, I did.  My comment was not aimed at Jordan's excellent work, just the theory that someone is going to figure out how to shut down a great player and an good offense.

We will get better with additions in the off season and good is going to get better.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,455 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 December 2019 - 11:00 PM

I think the team is tired.  They have run the gauntlet though, and after Thursday night will have completed the most grueling stretch of the season.  4 games in 18 days (as Rob pointed out in an earlier thread).  Only the Jets stand in the way of a sweep and some rest.

@mikeghg

#13 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:46 AM

What gets me about this "figuring us out" thing is that it's not like the Ravens aren't watching film themselves and making adjustments to what defenses are trying to do. One of Lamar's strengths is his work ethic along with his ability to read defenses and make adjustments accordingly. Even if we get slowed down I have plenty of faith in our offense to come back with a different game plan and approach the next time.

That being said Lamar threw 3 td passes. I wouldn't necessarily call that getting "figured out." If teams want to sell out to stop the run and Lamar throws 3 td's so be it. We're so used to the Ravens putting up big numbers that 24 pts. seems like a bad game. I guess the fact that they've raised the bar that high is a good thing. With a defense that has only given up 20 pts. or more twice in the last 9 games even a "so so" game by the offense is enough to pull out a win. They'll explode again. The least of my worries is that Roman and Lamar won't make adjustments to any adjustments that are being thrown at them.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,901 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:08 AM

Ok...but the substance of the article is that 'no', they weren't figured out.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#15 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:12 AM

Ok...but the substance of the article is that 'no', they weren't figured out.

I get that. I wasn't arguing against it. We've heard that idea thrown out there many times and my argument is against the whole premise that we can be figured out and why it's not even a worry of mine.
  • BSLChrisStoner and bmore_ken like this

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,187 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:23 AM

I made the comment that you don’t always have your A game.

Sometimes you have to win games without your best fastball.

Some of this is injuries...some of it is being tired. Some of it is Buffalo containing him with good defense. It is just the way it is.

Get the win tomorrow. I don’t care how ugly it looks. Just get the win and take off some days. I’m guessing Harbaugh gives them 4-5 days off from practice. Let them rest up.
@BSLRobShields

#17 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:42 AM

I did. I was responding in general to the subject line. Jordan isn't the first person to pose the question. The article was good, the question is not. This offense isn't some unseen revolutionary offense. It's been seen thousands of times.

Buffalo has the defense to match up. Really, so do the Pats and Steelers. If I'm game planning for the Ravens, I'm going wide with my edge rushers, and they will be staying home to funnel everything inside. Then I'm stacking the box up the middle for Ingram and Edwards, and I'm daring the Ravens to win off of Lamars arm or someone else's legs.

What scares me with Jackson, he wants to win. But I'm not sure if he has the awareness to understand that sometimes he's going to have to trust his teammates to make the big play. Especially in the postseason. Teams will make sure they take Lamar out of the equation the best they can. Against Buffalo he pulled the ball from Ingram on a couple of plays where Ingram could have grinded out 4 to 6 yards, and instead Lamar pulled it and ran into a crowd waiting for him for only a yard or 2. If he wants a superbowl, hes got to understand that sometimes, Ingram and Edwards are going to have make the big play.
  • BSLChrisStoner and bmore_ken like this

#18 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:50 AM

Sounds like teams might have decided to hit Jackson in the legs on passing plays, when it's harder for him to defend himself.  That sucks, but I guess it's technically legal.

https://www.baltimor...ogt4-story.html

#19 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,550 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:55 AM

I think loading the box is a good defensive strategy, especially in poor conditions...which could be a concern.

I dont think most teams can get away with it, and sometimes Lamar will still beat you ( Hurst TD for example).
@gabefergy

#20 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:15 AM

Sounds like teams might have decided to hit Jackson in the legs on passing plays, when it's harder for him to defend himself. That sucks, but I guess it's technically legal.

https://www.baltimor...ogt4-story.html

I could be wrong, but I thought it was roughing the passer when a defender purposely went low to hit a QB in the pocket?

Either way, teams are going to do it. They know Lamar's legs are his greatest asset. If they can bruise him up and make him lose a step, they can catch him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners