Photo

BSL: The Ravens Have Used Personnel and Analytics...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BSLZackMoore

BSLZackMoore

Ravens (Cap) Analyst

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:11 PM

BSL: The Ravens Have Used Personnel and Analytics To Create and Sustain Their Incredible Offense

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLMikeRandall and Bmore Irish like this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 117,030 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:14 AM

Nice read.

One of the first comments you made was how over 2008 to '15, the NFL's base defense became Nickle.

I know we talked a lot here, how the obvious counter to smaller quicker defenses built to address the pass..would be building physical running attacks to bully opponents.

In Harbaugh's first season, the Ravens ran a lot of JUMBO packages which did just that. All these years later, you've got all these defenses built to address the pass happy league (and rules). Certainly creates an opportunity to exploit.

#3 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:12 AM

This speaks to my argument that the offense is not going to be "figured out." I think when we see something new we instantly think about new ideas that came into the league like the run and gun and the wildcat that didn't last long. I think the revolutionary thing that the Ravens have done is that you can face the "run and gun" or the "wildcat" on any given play out of any given formation. That amoebas concept driven by Lamar's dual threat ability makes this offense very sustainable.

#4 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:59 AM

The Ravens are definitely zigging while the rest of the league zags, which like Zack said, is a very savvy, Belichick-like move. I'm thrilled about the future of this team thanks to the commitment from DeCosta, Harbaugh, and the entire organization to commit to this strategy.

The versatility within personnel groupings is amazing. I really don't think this is something other teams can simply copy either, because there isn't a Lamar Jackson every draft. There may not be a player with his abilities in the next ten drafts.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

@Bmore_Irish

#5 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:07 PM

When I see the offense the Ravens have built around Jackson, I'm reminded of Navy football, which I have enjoyed for years. I'm sure the concept of the option offense did not originate with Navy, but I think they were the most prominent operators of it. The reason I bring that up is I just recalled that in 2016 the Ravens drafted Navy QB Keenan Reynolds. I don't remember if they ever used him at QB even in practice, but I wonder if the Ravens' brain trust was entertaining the notion of moving to that offense even back then? Like Lamar, Keenan was super athletic but never caught on in the NFL, maybe because of the same mindset that was so suspicious of Jackson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners