https://twitter.com/...349656354590721
@BSLRobShields

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,933 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:18 PM

Injury cost him what, few mph on the fastball? Year+ of development? I expect a lot more from a #4 overall pick than for his best year to be as a middle reliever, forever ago.

Although it’s not his fault he was drafted by the Orioles. That’s most of what went wrong with him. Another team, maybe he’s an all-star.

Velo was still pretty good when he finally was healthy and joined the O's in '16... has decreased the last few years. 

But losing 3 full years basically to injury was nothing to sneeze at. 

At the ML level, the only time he was 'Dylan Bundy' was the 1.2 innings he pitched at the end of 2012. 

After that he was a facsimile. Sure nobody is more disappointed in how things worked out than Dylan himself. 

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,647 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:18 PM

I expect a lot more from a #4 overall pick than for his best year to be as a middle reliever, forever ago.

Then you're expecting too much.  It's obviously possible to get a star there, so you aren't hoping for too much, but not the norm to actually get a star or even a decent player.  Only about 30% of #4 overall draft picks exceed the 7 career WAR that Bundy has to date.  Bundy has more career WAR than the guys taken #4 overall in the five drafts before him combined.

Here is every #4 pick ever sorted by career WAR...Bundy is #18 on the list.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#26 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:24 PM

Then you're expecting too much.  It's obviously possible to get a star there, so you aren't hoping for too much, but not the norm to actually get a star or even a decent player.  Only about 30% of #4 overall draft picks exceed the 7 career WAR that Bundy has to date.  Bundy has more career WAR than the guys taken #4 overall in the five drafts before him combined.

It looks like most of the stars were in 60's and 70's

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,933 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:24 PM

Looked it up and realized the 2015 draft class was the first class that could be traded after the WS in the year they were drafted... but I had completely forgotten this. 

Do like that Lucas in the Villar trade, and several of these guys were from the '19 class. 

#28 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,204 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:29 PM

https://twitter.com/...2293009408?s=21

Good point by Luke here about it being a pitchers development deal.
@BSLRobShields

#29 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:52 PM

Then you're expecting too much. It's obviously possible to get a star there, so you aren't hoping for too much, but not the norm to actually get a star or even a decent player. Only about 30% of #4 overall draft picks exceed the 7 career WAR that Bundy has to date. Bundy has more career WAR than the guys taken #4 overall in the five drafts before him combined.

By that logic Bundy is about a C-? Sounds about right for this organization
@BSLMikeRandall

#30 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,693 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

Seems rather underwhelming, but I guess if that was the best they could do, then it makes sense for the future.

Just don't expect me to watch or spend much in the present.

To be clear, that last remark is far from just about Bundy. It's about the overall direction of the team, which I can logically get behind even if it's not all that entertaining in the short-term.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#31 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:31 PM

The Orioles traded two of their best players and shed ~15 million in contracts in the past three days. Their payroll may be MLB's lowest this year. “I want to see a playoff team at Camden Yards, and there is only one way to get there," Mike Elias said. "This is the only path."

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,693 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:51 PM

I'm sure Dude will love that quote!
  • Nigel Tufnel likes this

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 116,933 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:00 PM

The Orioles traded two of their best players and shed ~15 million in contracts in the past three days. Their payroll may be MLB's lowest this year. “I want to see a playoff team at Camden Yards, and there is only one way to get there," Mike Elias said. "This is the only path."

I'm sure Dude will love that quote!

I'm bothered by the quote. I believe Elias is going to be successful, but the idea that there is only one way to do things is absurd.

• BSLMikeRandall and B00E00N00 like this

#34 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,693 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:32 PM

I'm bothered by the quote. I believe Elias is going to be successful, but the idea that there is only one way to do things is absurd.

Agreed

#35 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:35 PM

Well one of their best, and Bundy

What’s worse? Trying to win, kinda? (1998-2011) or just giving a giant middle finger to the idea of winning until they feel like they are ready to start? (Present)

I say now is worse, from the standpoint of “is this team watchable”

You know how we say we wish we had Gary Williams coaching and Mark Turgeon recruiting? I think I wish we had Elias and Mejdal in house combined with a GM like McPhail, Duquette. Someone that can tell them that where they came from international scouting matters and that technology matters, and advanced metrics matter. But a decision maker at the top who won’t just jettison 30/30 caliber players.

All of this seems moot considering the common denominator since 1993.
@BSLMikeRandall

#36 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:56 PM

I'm not sure the Orioles would have been all that "watchable" with Bundy and Villar still on the team next season. 

What is becoming clear is Elias is seeking quantity as well as quality. Scoop enough rocks, find a few gems. He also seems to prefer guys who don't have to go on the 40-man as yet.

• BSLSethBondroff likes this

#37 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:06 PM

I'm not sure the Orioles would have been all that "watchable" with Bundy and Villar still on the team next season.

What is becoming clear is Elias is seeking quantity as well as quality. Scoop enough rocks, find a few gems. He also seems to prefer guys who don't have to go on the 40-man as yet.

Bundy is a dud. Villar was part of a lineup close to being potent. Just maybe a Mountcastle and Diaz, a no Davis away from potentially overcoming the pitching shortfalls. Enough to be watchable.

Not now. Now it’s like they are setting up 2020 in a way that there is still no reason to start the clock on Mountcastle or the others. Feel like Elias felt like they won too many games last year.
@BSLMikeRandall

#38 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:08 PM

Bundy is a dud. Villar was part of a lineup close to being potent. Just maybe a Mountcastle and Diaz, a no Davis away from potentially overcoming the pitching shortfalls. Enough to be watchable.

Not now. Now it’s like they are setting up 2020 in a way that there is still no reason to start the clock on Mountcastle or the others. Feel like Elias felt like they won too many games last year.

I'm hoping to see Hays in the lineup regularly as well. Provided, of course, he can stay healthy.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

#39 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,204 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:34 PM

Yea that’s a moronic comment.
@BSLRobShields

#40 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:09 PM

Feel like Elias felt like they won too many games last year.

He agrees with me! I knew it! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners