JohnnyK27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:43 PM

5tcmrdbaddfsxq7pt6uq_reasonably_small.pn
Addison Russell will presumably look for a more significant role, on a one-year deal. Orioles are looking for a middle infielder, and if he rebuilds his career swinging in the hitters' park in Baltimore, the Orioles would flip him for value, presumably. He turns 26 in January
7:09 PM · Dec 2, 2019·TweetDeck

https://twitter.com/...654626224943105

#2 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,220 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:45 PM

I wonder if Olney is speculating with this tweet or if he has heard something?
@BSLRobShields

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,206 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 05:48 PM

Not sure I can actually follow through, but I'll at least empty threat to boycott the season if they sign him. I'd rather we release Rutschman than sign Russell. Have a little bit of decency when the possible upside benefit of selling yourself is so mundane.
  • BSLSethBondroff and McNulty like this

#4 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:01 PM

Brandon Hyde likely knows Russell better than anyone in the Oriole organization. If nothing else, he could serve as a de facto character witness should the Orioles start kicking the tires on Russell.

#5 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,817 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:25 PM

I won't (can't) go as far as Mackus said above, but this would be a terrible look for a team with no identity yet as it is. Hard pass. 

• Mackus likes this
@beginthebegin71

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,098 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:02 PM

Since you're gonna stink no matter what, you don't have to entertain the thought of players with such ill repute. Let's at least be able to say we are not the Cincinnati Bengals of MLB. Can you just give us that?

• Mackus, DuffMan and weird-O like this

#7 BSLSethBondroff

BSLSethBondroff

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,817 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:41 PM

Since you're gonna stink no matter what, you don't have to entertain the thought of players with such ill repute. Let's at least be able to say we are not the Cincinnati Bengals of MLB. Can you just give us that?

Exactly. There are plenty of 1 year deal type guys that we can sign and hope to move at the deadline/after the season. We don't "need" anyone,  but especially not this guy. 

@beginthebegin71

#8 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 December 2019 - 08:43 PM

I haven't followed his issues close enough to really know the baggage. But there is such a thing as a guy messed up. Served his punishment and deserves another chance.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,206 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:11 PM

I haven't followed his issues close enough to really know the baggage. But there is such a thing as a guy messed up. Served his punishment and deserves another chance.

Read about him. He didn't commit one split second act like, say, Ray Rice did. May have been less violent than Rice, but more pervasive.

I believe in forgiveness for mistakes, but I wouldn't call what Russell did a mistake or even a series of them. That's letting him off too lightly. And even if they were just mistakes, forgiveness doesn't have to entail being allowed to play baseball.
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,098 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:08 PM

Basically, there was an extended pattern of behavior with him that indicates he has serious character issues. Doesn't mean he can't change, but like Mackus says, it doesn't mean the Orioles ought to overlook it and sign him when they could easily find someone else to fill their MI need.

In fairness to the Orioles, the way Olney words that doesn't make it sound like he's hearing they have any interest in Russell. he's just pointing out they are a potential match in strictly baseball terms.

#11 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,220 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:28 PM

I don’t need all the players to be good people.

What Russell did was horrible. OTOH, what most athletes do in terms of cheating on wives, drugs, etc...don’t make many of them good people by any means. Not saying those things are the same as what he did but let’s face it, these guys aren’t Boy Scouts.

If you feel the reward is greater than the risk, I’m good with it.

I think it’s pretty reasonable to say it’s not w/r/t Russell. I also think that Russell still has upside in his game and could pay off big for the team.

Here’s the thing though...you aren’t flipping him for that much, no matter how good he is.

If you bring him here, it’s because you hope he jump starts his career and maybe becomes a longer term piece.

In some ways, he makes sense. In other ways, he doesn’t.
@BSLRobShields

#12 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,070 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:32 PM

People can change, too. I don't think anyone deserves to be forever judged by their worst moment.
  • BSLRobShields, bmore_ken and mdrunning like this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,206 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:07 AM

People can change, too. I don't think anyone deserves to be forever judged by their worst moment.

Ok, that's fair. Ignore whichever of Russell's moments you think is the worst and let's judge him on all the others. I still would think it's a travesty to even consider bringing him in.

• Ricker Says and McNulty like this

#14 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,795 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:01 AM

I just looked at Russell's stats. Unless he's Machado+ with the glove, he stinks. Hanser is better.

No reason to take a player who isn't good and who beats women.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,659 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:08 AM

I just looked at Russell's stats. Unless he's Machado+ with the glove, he stinks. Hanser is better.

No reason to take a player who isn't good and who beats women.

He's regarded as having enough talent, that he could certainly break-out and have a very productive year and it wouldn't be shocking. 

But no problem with taking a moral stand and saying it's not worth giving him the opportunity here.

#16 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,070 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:21 AM

Ok, that's fair. Ignore whichever of Russell's moments you think is the worst and let's judge him on all the others. I still would think it's a travesty to even consider bringing him in.

I picked the wrong topic to make that general point about - something I believe in. But I don't know much about Russell and wasn't aware of all that. Didn't realize it was beyond the one thing. Sorry if I offended anyone. 

• BSLJordanKough likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#17 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,933 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:46 AM

Wouldn’t put it past the Houston offspring to sign Russell. Their daddy’s are okay with having Osuna on their team.
@BSLMikeRandall

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,818 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:50 AM

I doubt whether the Orioles would go the 3 or 4 M that Russell would want, but IMO, they should stay away from what looks like a bad guy.

@mikeghg

#19 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 08 December 2019 - 01:47 AM

I'm not sure this discussion is worth it at any level.
The Orioles don't want to be better in the next 2 years and that would be the only reason to have any consideration wrt Russell.

Let me start by saying I'm 100% against domestic violence. We shouldn't really need to say all the things we're against like that, it should be common sense for most of it..

Publicly we should agree it's a hot button topic geared towards #believeher and #metoo.

Also, MLB (all the sports) have cracked down on stuff like this (DV and other off-field stuff) and we've seen varying suspensions for any allegation. I'm not aware of anyone that had an allegation, even if they weren't charged (court), that didn't get some type of suspension. There is no reason for the League or even the teams to go down looking bad in these situations, the player will get thrown under the bus. There is no reason to protect the player.

Let's divert for just a second to Osuna. Does anyone know what Osuna did? I don't think there's any record of it. The woman visited him in Toronto and [something] happened. Apparently in Canada, records are sealed. There was no trial, she decided not to show up and stayed in Mexico (she is Mexican) instead of going back and having her day in court.

I don't think we know what happened. Did he pay her off so that he wouldn't get a conviction? Did she not have a case? We don't know. As a side note, Taubman from the Astros is a dbag. He's an idiot for going down there and running his mouth. But what gets lost in that situation is that the reporter is the instigator. She (apparently) trolls Osuna every time he comes into a game, tweeting the Domestic Violence Hotline. Does she know what he did? I don't care that she does it, it's America and she can do whatever she wants. ....but when you do that, you are no longer a reporter. You want to be a reporter with access to the clubhouse, great, you still have to exercise some discretion on your part. You want to (right or wrong) be some social justice warrior, cool too....just do it outside. You aren't invited into the house. Again, Taubman is a dbag and deserves to be fired. No issues there. He has to be accountable too.

...but Osuna's allegation appears to be a one-time event based on that interaction and maybe MLB knows what he did (or thinks they know) although nothing was ever presented in a forum (court or any other evidence) that includes verification. In Canada, the Assualt charges were dropped and he agreed to what amounts to a restraining order for one year. https://www.usatoday...158857002/]Link[/url] Still, MLB decided to suspend Osuna for 75 games.

Jump back to the case against Russell Addison.

We have a six page manifesto by Russell's wife (Melisa Reidy) detailing the systemic mental, emotional and physical abuse perpetrated against her. You read it and man, he seems like a real jackass. Deserves whatever he gets.

Like Mackus said earlier, let's ignore one of his 'worst moments' and then consider everything else. He's still done, right? There's A LOT there.

If everything she said was true....what should be the result?

I mean, there's zero reasons to protect the player in a situation like this. Right?
MLB has shown no interest in underselling it's response. They warned Executives about questionable behavior, investigated John Coppolella and gave him a permanent ban. Others guys got a year or 2 suspension.

In the case of Aroldis Chapman, there was alleged choking and he fired 8 shots from his gun in the garage (not at anyone). Charges were never filed. MLB gave him 30 games.

Can we find a set of more egregious allegations than the ones levied against Addison Russell? Look at everyone's response to him.

....but what did MLB do? Lifetime ban? 80 games per incident for a total of a 5 year suspension?
....what did the Cubs do? Non-tender him a contract and wish him the best in getting help for his issues?
....what did the other Cub's players do? Distance themselves so as not to get lumped in with this abuser?

Russell gets a 40 game suspension. The Cubs tender him a contract (5M) and I don't see where any of the other players, Manager or FO walked away from him.

So why did MLB ignore the evidence against Russell? Was there any?
-I've seen 2 reports that seemed to go out of their way to note there was no investigations going on with respect to Russell. Reidy never called the Police or did anything to document the behavior.
- In their Divorce proceeding, she apparently made no allegations other than the typical irreconcilable differences. No accusations.
- After the first social media post (then deleted) that indicated he was being abusive and MLB tried to investigate but she wouldn't talk to MLB. Apparently, there was a least 2 times that MLB tried to get her statements and she chose not to talk.

I'm no expert on this, but I think it's pretty reasonable for people in that situation to avoid some of those things, you justify it, you want to avoid feeling of embarrassment or don't want to put yourself out there like that. Maybe you just don't want to get him in trouble (in their situation) because there's potentially other money or whatever out there for her/his-son, whatever.

....but then she launches her 6-page manifesto of abuse with the help of a #metoo-er and took it even more public on shows and started her own video blog.

....so apparently the documentation and public exposure didn't bother her that much. She's actually used it to build a platform for herself and she did it in a way where no person was ever able to cross-examine any piece of what she said happened.

There was no day in court for Russell. Through her actions, she ensured she would never be challenged (accountable for anything she's written). She skewered him in public court with no defense.

Once she sits down and writes out all of the details, then she's willing to talk to MLB. MLB suspends Russell.

So maybe all of that can be justified inside of her inexperience and other things, once she talks to MLB, they would still lay down the hammer, right? The Cubs would still dump him right? No players or his manager would sort of side with him through the experience, right? Addison Russell doesn't have deep relationships with any of these guys. He was still fairly new. He actually came over from the A's Organization.

No reason for any of those people to protect him, so 'now that we know', you'd need to explain why nobody close to him drove a bus over him (directly or indirectly). In fact, the recent non-tender statement by Theo actually is more supportive of Russell and gives him something of a defensible send-off.

Robert Osuna got 75 games for an undefined, never charged, one-time incident.
Addison Russell systemically abused MR mentally, emotionally and physically over the course of 10-12 months and he got 40 games.

If everything Melisa Reidy said about Addison Russell was true, he's not a good guy (like so many here vehemently believe).

...but I would suggest that all of the people, professionally and privately, closest to the situation (MLB, Joe Maddon, Jim Bowden, Kris Bryant, Theo Epstein) don't really believe her, by their actions.

...and if they don't believe her, why would I hold that against him.

If even half of the things she said were even modestly provable/reasonable we wouldn't be having this discussion because he would still be serving a suspension and the Cubs would have released him a year earlier.

#20 russsnyder

russsnyder

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:59 AM

Interesting post. I agree that the reporter involved in the clubhouse episode with Taubman is acting more like an advocate than a reporter. Taubman was out of line, but her primary job is to report on baseball, not to complain every time Osuna enters a game for the Astros.

MLB investigated the Russell situation. Russell initially denied the allegations when he was suspended. However, after completing league mandated counseling and continuing counseling on his own he admitted to having to work through his issues.

Further, what choice did Maddon or his teammates have when it came to Russell being on their team? He was under contract and receiving league mandated counseling. He served his suspension and rejoined the team. To state that the entire Cubs organization does not believe Russell's ex-wife is a stretch. I think it's fair to state that Russell's first round pedigree and past success at the major league level helped Russell keep his job.

Lastly, I will not be upset if the Orioles take a flier on Russell. He's young enough to turn his baseball career around. More importantly, he appears to have taken responsibility for his actions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners