fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,616 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:15 PM

Wins is wins!  Move on!  

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#325 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:16 PM

Playing a good defense on the road in the bitter cold is hard.

A win is a win is a win. Take it and get the hell out of there.
  • fishteacher likes this

#326 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:18 PM

This is a mean thing to say, but Jefferson's injury is one of the best things that happened to the Ravens D.

• McNulty likes this
@DaKittenz

#327 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:25 PM

This is a mean thing to say, but Jefferson's injury is one of the best things that happened to the Ravens D.

I said it when it happened. I have no clue how the coaches couldn't see how terrible he was.

#328 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,471 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:32 PM

Surely there’s no way Jefferson can be brought back next year with the way Clark has filled in, right?!

#329 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:52 PM

Ugly wins count too.

I'll take it

#330 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 December 2019 - 04:55 PM

You've got to be kidding me.

https://twitter.com/...664874230214657

#331 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

The 15 yarders seemed uncalled for in the final series and the one on Thomas was bs also.
Roll Tide

#332 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 08 December 2019 - 05:28 PM

https://twitter.com/...664874230214657

Let it go Rob. The subject is overblown enough already.

#333 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:02 PM

Quite frankly I didn't see anything wrong with the comment either. It wasn't derogatory towards Jackson. Richard Sherman defended Ryan and even Harbaugh brushed it off. But as soon as I heard it I knew somebody would find it offensive and Tim Ryan should have known it too and been a little more careful with his description. It's just the world we live in today. People are hyper sensitive to any comment that involves race and instantly look to label you for it. As a broadcaster Ryan should have been aware of that.

As for the game, these last two weeks were more impressive to me than any of the blowouts the Ravens have had this year. These are the type of games you are more likely to play in the playoffs. Finding ways to win close games by closing out the game on a drive leading to a winning FG, or making a 4th down stop to deny a game tying TD say more to me than running up big scores. That is what you are probably going to have to do come playoff time.
  • JStruds likes this

#334 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:29 PM

Quite frankly I didn't see anything wrong with the comment either. It wasn't derogatory towards Jackson. Richard Sherman defended Ryan and even Harbaugh brushed it off. But as soon as I heard it I knew somebody would find it offensive and Tim Ryan should have known it too and been a little more careful with his description. It's just the world we live in today. People are hyper sensitive to any comment that involves race and instantly look to label you for it. As a broadcaster Ryan should have been aware of that.

As for the game, these last two weeks were more impressive to me than any of the blowouts the Ravens have had this year. These are the type of games you are more likely to play in the playoffs. Finding ways to win close games by closing out the game on a drive leading to a winning FG, or making a 4th down stop to deny a game tying TD say more to me than running up big scores. That is what you are probably going to have to do come playoff time.

Sorry buddy...I'll take the blowouts any day.   :cool:

• Mackus likes this

#335 jamesdean

jamesdean

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:35 PM

The 15 yarders seemed uncalled for in the final series and the one on Thomas was bs also.

I just grow so weary of the constant flags, especially the roughing the passer calls.  Granted, Lamar got one today but usually, the contact is so benign and inconsequential, regardless of who's benefiting.  I know there's not a whole lot anyone can do about it until the season's over but the NFL really needs to address the kind of negative impact officiating is having on the games.  Unless the foul is blatant and deliberate, let the players do their thing.  It's just getting beyond ridiculous. 

#336 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:50 PM

At this point, if you are white and bring up anything related to race, someone will get offended. Sometimes that offense is warranted. Other times it won't be. I say that as someone who leans left-of-center.

#337 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:05 PM

At this point, if you are white and bring up anything related to race, someone will get offended. Sometimes that offense is warranted. Other times it won't be. I say that as someone who leans left-of-center.

It was racially insensitive but not racist but I'm not sure a black guy could have gotten away with a comment like that about a white player. To me it was just odd because I never thought about anything like that being a factor in a football game.

#338 cprenegade

cprenegade

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 10:43 PM

It was racially insensitive but not racist but I'm not sure a black guy could have gotten away with a comment like that about a white player. To me it was just odd because I never thought about anything like that being a factor in a football game.

I never thought about it either but I can see where it is a legitimate point to raise.  But I think what makes that play so hard to read more than that is the way he does it.  Most QBs that keep the ball do the fake and then take off running which naturally attracts the defense to go after them.  Jackson does the fake and then pauses, which keeps the defense focused on the guy going into the line.  Only after the pause does he make his move after the defense has started to commit to the RB.  That throws the defense off more than the ball blending with his hands.  It's the pause that creates the deception and forces the defense to commit more on the RB than Jackson.  When you play Jackson your defense is going to have to be disciplined to stay with him even when you think he has handed the ball off to protect against that possibility.  And that goes against the nature of what your defense does in every other game.  Imo, that's what makes that play work successfully more than anything else.  

#339 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 11:03 PM

There are actually rules in baseball regarding pitchers wearing white sleeves. In high school (NFHS) rules, it's illegal, period. No white and no gray.

In professional ball, there are similar rules. MLB stipulates (and I don't think this has ever been changed) that sleeves have to match a color in the uniform that are not white. This is done, at least ostensibly, to prevent the pitcher from gaining an advantage against the hitter by making it harder to pick up the ball against the white under-garment. Umpire discretion may also be used if the opposing manager regards any part of the uniform to be a distraction.

Way back in the day, MLB pitchers used to take advantage of this rule all the time. If their shirt wasn't white enough, they'd use lye to make it almost blinding. This was particularly effective on laundry day. Since most ball parks were built into city blocks, there'd be a lot of laundry flapping in the breeze from the adjacent residences. If it happened to be mostly white sheets or linens, that could make it almost impossible to pick up the ball out of the pitcher's hand.

• JStruds likes this

#340 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,238 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 09 December 2019 - 10:54 AM

This is pretty much where I am. I'm not offended, more than I'm just like...nah.

I thought the comment was funnier than it was offensive. As in, point-and-laugh funny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users