#1 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:45 PM

Some insight into the historical dominance of this Ravens team and how it compares to other teams in the past.

https://www.baltimor...vens-team-ever/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mackus like this
@gabefergy

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,207 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

I'd say they are playing better right now than any Ravens team ever has.

But like your conclusion says, the only way there ever is a conversation about if they are the best team ever or not is if they win the Super Bowl.  That is a mandatory criteria for admission to the discussion.  

• Ricker Says and fishteacher like this

#3 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,070 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

Loved Harbs quote after the game Monday... "team's aren't crowned in November."

KC could speak on that a bit.

Or 2012 Denver. Or many, many other teams. 08 Patriots.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,663 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

I thought the suggestion was absurd a couple of weeks ago.... but the play in this stretch has been amazing. 

Mackus' comments above I agree with a lot.  Though where I disagree, is that I don't think a team necessarily has to win it all to be the best.  

(If the 2006 Ravens play a series with the 2012 Ravens, I don't think 2012 automatically wins because they won the Lombardi.  OTOH, 2012 does have the hardware, and '06 lost in the Divisional Round. Does change how remembered.) 

I look at this '19 roster, and I'm not particularly wowed by the talent. 

I think it's a good team, that Jackson and scheme have elevated to an extremely high level. 

I mean @Seattle, New England, Houston, @LA...  and those results? That's really impressive. 
If they beat San Fran this weekend, that only adds to it.  

It's definitely the most fun I've had watching a Ravens team since the run in 2000. 
There was a feeling Monday night that we are really watching something special. 
The unexpectedness of this domination makes it all the more enjoyable. 

• fishteacher likes this

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,818 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

I am not ready to say they are the best because we have won 2 Super Bowls,

I do believe they are the most exciting 

• Ricker Says likes this
@mikeghg

#6 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:39 PM

With 5 games left, a lot could happen to cause a regression from this incredible pace they're on.  You would think it would be almost impossible to sustain this type of offensive domination indefinitely but I will say that if they continue to average over 30 points a game and the defense continues to perform at a high level going into the play-offs, yes, in my opinion it's the best overall Ravens team in their history.  And I say that regardless of whether they make it to the Super Bowl or not.  

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:39 PM

It's certainly possible the Ravens offense hits a downturn, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that's going to happen. This week will be a big test.

@gabefergy

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,207 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:47 PM

Patriots, Texans, Rams, 49ers, Bills, and Jets is a pretty serious defensive gauntlet. Halfway through and the results are wildly positive.

#9 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:39 PM

Definitely the best Ravens offense ever and if they continue at this pace and win the Super Bowl they will be in the argument with the 2000 Ravens as the best Ravens team ever. Like everyone is saying though there's still work to be done.

#10 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:59 AM

What makes this team so hard to stop, IMO, is the constant pressure the offense puts on the defense. Ravens are constantly moving forward. And with Harbaugh carrying his nuts around in a wheelbarrow, they are almost always in 4 down territory. It has a mental effect on a defense when they play good hard defense for 3 downs, and on 3rd and 2 or less, when most teams would punt and reward them for good defensive effort, the Ravens line up and go for it almost every time. When a team converts almost every 3rd and short or 4th down, it breaks teams mentally.

Another thing this offense does with Jackson, he takes teams out of their comfort zones defensively. The Pats like to zero blitz. Jackson takes that away. Because if you miss, he either finds someone with a quick pass, or he makes 3 guys miss and goes for 20+. Jackson is a game breaker. A team can call the perfect defense, and execute it perfectly. And Jackson still can beat you for a huge play. I played a couple guys like that in high school, that were just physically better than everyone else. It breaks you eventually when you know you can do everything perfect and still lose.

The 49ers are his best test. They are the best front 7 in football. It'll be interesting to see if they have the discipline and speed to beat Jackson. With that said, the only coach that I fear can break the Lamar mystery is Belichick.

#11 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:44 AM

As of right now this team is playing better in all three phases than any Ravens team ever.  They've already proven they can beat the very best teams.  The challenge is to avoid any stumbles against lesser teams to hold on to the #1 seed.  Lamar looks like a man on a mission, and I'm really looking forward to seeing him operate in the postseason to help etch this team into Ravens lore like the 2000 and 2012 championship squads.

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 13,098 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:51 AM

I'll wait until the season is over until answering that question. I do think this might be the best Ravens offense ever. The inaugural 1996 team is about the only other offense that I can recall that could put up point like this, but overall they were awful.

#13 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,225 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:29 AM

They are now the 8th best team in DVOA history through 12 games.

They will be #1 in DVOA this week.
@BSLRobShields

#14 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:18 AM

Part of me wants to see them get one more loss (even though it could possibly **** up the #1 seed), just to get it out of our system prior to January. Then again, in the 2000 season we didn't lose a game after October.

Oh well. Onto Buffalo!

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#15 EvenSteven

EvenSteven
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando Valley, Califoirnia

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:13 AM

To me a Super Bowl win is a prime requirement to qualify for best team ever.

In 2000 the defense was definitely world class but the QB was adequate Trent Dilfer and in 2019 the QB is four ring circus Lamar Jackson which puts this year's edition ahead of 2000 hands down.

In 2008 if it were not for The Pass for a tying touchdown (sideline Hail Mary as time was running out) and Tucker's leg the Ravens would not have made it to the Super Bowl.

In 2019 if the Ravens win the Super Bowl especially if they finish the season at 14-2 there can be no doubt they are the best Ravens Team.

As a matter of fact IMO they move right up there with the 1958 Colts as the best Baltimore NFL Team ever. Time has erased all the warts and wrinkles from that glorious Unitas to Berry and Ameche up the middle team and if this 2019 edition wins the rest of their games to a Super Bowl win my beloved 1958 Colt team and I will proudly hail this Raven team the Baltimore Best NFL Pro Team ever.

On another personal note I always have the feeling this group will score a TD once in the Red Zone. I never had that feeling with Flacco under center but fortunately he had the ace in the hole Tucker.

There is a Baseball Heaven

And I've got a seat in Section 34

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,818 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:33 AM

We have come a long way in 9 weeks.  After the Browns game, people were killing this team, 8 wins later the possibilities are great.  

I actually think the best team ever, may have been 2011 Ravens but Lee and Billy ruined that possibility.  

This season feels a lot like the 2000 team, only with the offense the dominate unit, this time.   Bottom line, they are playing great and this season has been a blast.  Keep it going, Go Ravens!

This years team, certainly can win the SB, but it will take a lot of work and luck to get it done.  With all the cap room and picks, I am hoping the 2020 team will be even better.

• BSLChrisStoner, mdrunning and JStruds like this
@mikeghg

#17 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:09 PM

We have come a long way in 9 weeks.  After the Browns game, people were killing this team, 8 wins later the possibilities are great.  

I actually think the best team ever, may have been 2011 Ravens but Lee and Billy ruined that possibility.  

This season feels a lot like the 2000 team, only with the offense the dominate unit, this time.   Bottom line, they are playing great and this season has been a blast.  Keep it going, Go Ravens!

This years team, certainly can win the SB, but it will take a lot of work and luck to get it done.  With all the cap room and picks, I am hoping the 2020 team will be even better.

The 2000 team was imbalanced -- dominant defense, but a very weak offense.  5 games without a TD, as I recall?  Is this year's offense dominant?  Absolutely, yes.  But this year's defense is also very, very good -- a LOT better than the 2000 offense.  Against the 49ers, when the Ravens offense turned it over on downs, giving the 49ers good field position, the defense came back on the field and forced them to turn it over on downs.  They stepped up in way that I don't think the 2000 offense could.  Tucker was money at the end and that Chris Moore flip to save the touchback on the punt was big on special teams, too.  All three phases are really playing well.

#18 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,795 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:24 PM

Everyone likes to dump on the 2000 offense like they were the worst offense ever. 14th in points scored, 16th in yards. It was mostly rush yards (5th rushing offense overall). But they could score points once they made the change to Dilfer...even if the defense had something to do with it.

• Mackus likes this

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#19 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:45 PM

Everyone likes to dump on the 2000 offense like they were the worst offense ever. 14th in points scored, 16th in yards. It was mostly rush yards (5th rushing offense overall). But they could score points once they made the change to Dilfer...even if the defense had something to do with it.

Ravens D is #5 in PPG and #9 YPG.  That's not too far off the offense, #1 PPG and #2 YPG.  Whereas the 2000 Ravens D was #1 PPG, and even with all the opportunities that all-time great D gave them, the offense was pretty mediocre, even with Dilfer.

#20 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:56 PM

Ravens D is #5 in PPG and #9 YPG.  That's not too far off the offense, #1 PPG and #2 YPG.  Whereas the 2000 Ravens D was #1 PPG, and even with all the opportunities that all-time great D gave them, the offense was pretty mediocre, even with Dilfer.

Can you imagine combining the 2000 defense with this year's offense.  The '72 Dolphins perfect record would be in deep jeopardy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners