7 replies to this topic

#1 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:38 AM

I took at look at all the big plays in the Bengals game.

https://www.baltimor...ravens-defense/

There were an assortment of mishaps but predominantly the damage was done on the edges or fooling the ILBs. There were a few plays where the DL interior guys could have helped but that seems to not really be the scheme (and given the history of the Ravens LB, it's not a surprise that's how the defense flows). 

Peanut was bad last week and I've been a proponent of his, but I'd like to see more Fort if he continues to play like that. 

Also, Ferguson and Judon were both pretty weak on the edges. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:26 PM

I didn't think the Ravens played with any fire on defense until the second half.  I expect they come out jacked up for the Texans.

• JohnnyK27 likes this
@mikeghg

#3 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:28 PM

It really had more to do with the Bengals being a bit non-traditional. They ran when you usually pass, A LOT. That takes a lot "fire" out of any defense. Lots of runs were with 6 guys in the box and two deep safeties. 

I think some of what you saw was an adjustment in the second half where the Ravens realized the Bengals weren't going to try and pass, even in more obviously passing downs. 

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:30 PM

It really had more to do with the Bengals being a bit non-traditional. They ran when you usually pass, A LOT. That takes a lot "fire" out of any defense. Lots of runs were with 6 guys in the box and two deep safeties. 

I think some of what you saw was an adjustment in the second half where the Ravens realized the Bengals weren't going to try and pass, even in more obviously passing downs. 

Probably true, but they were flat.  Losing Pierce hurt too.

@mikeghg

#5 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

If teams are going to average 3.9 yards a carry against our defense, I'll take it.  You might see more teams running much more against the Ravens if for no other reason than to keep Lamar & Co. on the side line.  Expect a heavy dose of it from Houston this week.  

#6 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,133 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:33 AM

If teams are going to average 3.9 yards a carry against our defense, I'll take it. You might see more teams running much more against the Ravens if for no other reason than to keep Lamar & Co. on the side line. Expect a heavy dose of it from Houston this week.

The stat isn’t 3.9 ypc...the stat is that Cinci, the worst run team in the league, rushed for almost 1 full yard more than their average.

A good running team may be able to get close to 5 ypc.

Hopefully the new additions will make a difference while Pierce is out.
@BSLRobShields

#7 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:24 AM

The stat isn’t 3.9 ypc...the stat is that Cinci, the worst run team in the league, rushed for almost 1 full yard more than their average.

Well, that's assuming a lot.  The bottom line is that with this Ravens offense, there's a little more room for error, unlike previous years.  There's no denying that the run defense is weaker if Williams or Pierce are out but like you said, the new additions will hopefully be respectable at least.  

#8 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:23 AM

I think you're right, the stats don't tell the whole story. But to me, and why I wrote this artcile, the tape does. The Ravens were weak on the edges especially in six man fronts. That won't win in the NFL, even against inferior running teams, and even with Pierce. It would have made no demonstrable difference, IMO. 

I do think it matters that the Bengals ran 21% of their total rushes for the season in this one game. And despite rushing regularly into fronts that were to their advantage they still only got 3.9 YPC. But you point out, and I think correctly, their personnel isn't great. I tend to lean to JamesDean position that the overall YPC matters. You also leave out that 3.9 was still well below the Ravens 4.5 coming into the game. So there is some room to argue that while the Bengals were better than usual, so were the Ravens and it could very well be moot. 

But we'll see when the Niners come to town. I think the game plan is very different and that we will regularly use 3 man DL fronts in that game. And I think that'll be a big improvement. Judon/Ferguson was much better on the edge when he a DL in the B gap.

Houston gets 5 on the ground. So we'll see this week what they do schematically against a better rushing team. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners