Photo

FiveThirtyEight: There’s A Blueprint For Stopping Lamar Jackson, But Teams Aren’t Using It

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#101 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:37 PM

Fellas, let’s not do the most Baltimore thing ever and argue about the most exciting player in the league being on our team. He’s awesome; this is the sole reason we watch and obsess over this team is to have a player like this. Reading this thread hurt my soul.
  • Ricker Says, JeremyStrain, The Epic and 3 others like this

@fuzydunlop

#102 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,790 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:25 PM

Bottom line, you can't stop Lamar. And he can't be contained.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#103 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,382 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

Wilson is 30, doesn’t take big hits and is still running.

The thing is, Lamar is so different than any QB ever.

We can’t look at anyone else and compare them because Lamar runs so much more than anyone ever has. He also may be the best athlete in the history of the NFL at the QB position.

Vick is probably the best comp and he really only missed part of 1 season due to injury although there was obviously a large stretch of his prime when he was out of the league.

Wilson is also a pretty good comp but his volume was a little lower than what Jackson's, but so is Vick for that matter.

Newton is the only other QB in recent history with rush volume close to what Jackson is doing, but he didn't avoid contact like Jackson. He did hit the 100 rush mark in all but one season, but again he took bigger hits than Jackson on a regular basis.

@gabefergy

#104 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:57 AM

Vick is probably the best comp and he really only missed part of 1 season due to injury although there was obviously a large stretch of his prime when he was out of the league.

Wilson is also a pretty good comp but his volume was a little lower than what Jackson's, but so is Vick for that matter.

Newton is the only other QB in recent history with rush volume close to what Jackson is doing, but he didn't avoid contact like Jackson. He did hit the 100 rush mark in all but one season, but again he took bigger hits than Jackson on a regular basis.

Newton was never a quick twitch, make you miss guy. He was just as big or bigger than everyone with good speed.

What scares me with Jackson is the amount of torque he puts on his knees and ankles when he stops and cuts the way he does sometimes. When you're running as fast as he is, and just plant your foot and stop or cut the opposite direction, you're putting a lot of stress on your joints. I'm not even worried about him getting knocked out by a big hit or anything. He's so elusive and so much faster than anyone else on the field, I'm not sure he can be lined up at this point. But the non-contact injury scares me.

I think he goes through the normal progression and slowly becomes more and more of a passer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners