Photo

FiveThirtyEight: There’s A Blueprint For Stopping Lamar Jackson, But Teams Aren’t Using It

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:30 PM

FiveThirtyEight: There’s A Blueprint For Stopping Lamar Jackson, But Teams Aren’t Using It

https://fivethirtyei...=espn:nfl:teams

I didn't read the article but my thoughts are this, I really like the exciting offense and aggressive play. But the way a team will stop Lamar is with a cheap shot. Sooner or later some defensive player will get him with a cheap shot into his knees on one of his scrambles. I'm certainly not hoping it will happen but I think its just a matter of time. I think they window for winning with Lamar is possibly 3-4 years.

#62 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,129 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

They slowed down the running game. They also showed what happens when you dare Lamar to pass.

Slowed the run...Except for that 47 yard tote by Jackson where he looked like he was in NFL Blitz while the other team was playing the vibrating table football game.
  • bmore_ken likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#63 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,217 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:04 PM

They didn’t even slow down the run game.

The Ravens just didn’t run a lot of plays in total today.
@BSLRobShields

#64 hallas

hallas

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

Slowed the run...Except for that 47 yard tote by Jackson where he looked like he was in NFL Blitz while the other team was playing the vibrating table football game.

Sure, he made them look silly on that one play. But overall, 136 yards when they had been averaging well over 200.

#65 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,503 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:21 PM

We were scoring TDs, very quickly on every drive.  Do we really need to study the numbers to try to find something wrong?

Starting last week in 2nd half

Last 3 drives.

Long Drive....TD

Long Drive....TD

Kneel down..... game over

Today

Drive 1....75 yards TD

Drive 2.....76 yards TD

Drive 3.....long drive TD...do not remember were we started

The Peters pick 6 interrupted in a great way the run, 

The Bengals kept the ball most of Q2 then we ended 1st half.

We are scoring on drive after drive.  Nothing got shut down.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this
@mikeghg

#66 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:11 PM

Contrary to Rob's opinion, clearly ALL of this is true and accurate, and any future beyond February can wait until then.

Rob is one of those people still waiting for Lamar to fail. The guy just threw three td passes and he's still saying he needs to become a passer.  :mrgreen:

#67 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,659 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:26 PM

Sure, he made them look silly on that one play. But overall, 136 yards when they had been averaging well over 200.

5.9 YPC today, above their season average.

#68 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,482 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:45 PM

Rob is one of those people still waiting for Lamar to fail. The guy just threw three td passes and he's still saying he needs to become a passer. :mrgreen:

Not true. Rob was one of the only people I saw who noted his MVP potential for this season. I still see nothing wrong with those who questioned if he'd reach that potential. And not just because I was one of them. ;) Trust me, no one is more glad at how wrong I was than me. I love the Ravens and I love Lamar. We're lucky to be on this ride.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#69 hallas

hallas

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 11 November 2019 - 01:11 AM

5.9 YPC today, above their season average.

It sure felt like Edwards and Ingram didn't really have the impact they had in previous weeks.  Also the Ravens threw the ball 50% of the time, which exceeds their season average of 46% and is far higher than their average of 39% over their previous 3 games.

#70 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,217 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:16 AM

Rob is one of those people still waiting for Lamar to fail. The guy just threw three td passes and he's still saying he needs to become a passer. :mrgreen:

You are about as sharp as a bubble.
@BSLRobShields

#71 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,217 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:55 AM

https://twitter.com/...0601635840?s=21

That run. Just incredible.
@BSLRobShields

#72 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,217 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 November 2019 - 06:55 AM

Not true. Rob was one of the only people I saw who noted his MVP potential for this season. I still see nothing wrong with those who questioned if he'd reach that potential. And not just because I was one of them. ;) Trust me, no one is more glad at how wrong I was than me. I love the Ravens and I love Lamar. We're lucky to be on this ride.

You can’t talk logic with the illogical.
@BSLRobShields

#73 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,503 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

He does something every week, that defies description.  I like you was worried, about whether he was going to be able to play QB at a high level.  Forget worrying, the man is a magic show, week after week.   The Bengals loaded the box and dared him to throw,.  Challenge accepted, game over, very early.  

Lamar is extremely talented, works hard, has a great desire to win, is developing as a leader, and seems like a great kid.  Not much left to worry about.   Go Ravens.

@mikeghg

#74 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

He does something every week, that defies description. I like you was worried, about whether he was going to be able to play QB at a high level. Forget worrying, the man is a magic show, week after week. The Bengals loaded the box and dared him to throw,. Challenge accepted, game over, very early.
Lamar is extremely talented, works hard, has a great desire to win, is developing as a leader, and seems like a great kid. Not much left to worry about. Go Ravens.

Yet according to some people he still needs to become a passer 😂

#75 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,926 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:05 AM

He's started 16 regular season games in his career:

13-3 record

21 TD

8 INT

3,237 pass yards

1,397 rush yards

11 rush TD

IIRC, 3 of those INT were bobbled by a receiver and picked off.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#76 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,659 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:09 AM

Yet according to some people he still needs to become a passer

You definitely misinterpreted Rob's posts on that.  He was saying if he was an opposing DC, he'd try to force Lamar to pass from the pocket as the best hope of beating the Ravens.

He was absolutely not saying that he, Rob the fan, needs to see Lamar become a passer as some last step.  

• BSLRobShields likes this

#77 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,503 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

It sure felt like Edwards and Ingram didn't really have the impact they had in previous weeks.  Also the Ravens threw the ball 50% of the time, which exceeds their season average of 46% and is far higher than their average of 39% over their previous 3 games.

I think what is being missed, is the Ravens had 2 defensive TD's that took away 2 offensive drives. The Bengals surrounded those TD's with long drives.  Then the Ravens took everyone out, rightfully so, in the 4th Q.  Ingram had only 9 carries, for 35 yards and Gus had just 4 for  17 yards,  

The run game did not get stopped yesterday, more like it got a day off.

@mikeghg

#78 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 12:59 PM

https://twitter.com/...0601635840?s=21

That run. Just incredible.

To go from a full sprint, into a lateral spin move, back to full speed. That's unreal.

#79 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,217 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

You definitely misinterpreted Rob's posts on that. He was saying if he was an opposing DC, he'd try to force Lamar to pass from the pocket as the best hope of beating the Ravens.

He was absolutely not saying that he, Rob the fan, needs to see Lamar become a passer as some last step.

Thanks but you are wasting your time. We all know that Ken is basically the worst poster on the site. He doesn’t read arguments, he doesn’t understand things and he doesn’t take things within proper context.

I don’t know if he’s not very smart or is just lazy but it is what it is.

He can continue to look like a fool. *shrug*
@BSLRobShields

#80 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87,217 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 November 2019 - 04:18 PM

He's started 16 regular season games in his career:

13-3 record
21 TD
8 INT
3,237 pass yards
1,397 rush yards
11 rush TD

IIRC, 3 of those INT were bobbled by a receiver and picked off.

Gotta include the fumbles here BUT while including them, it also must be pointed out that the fumbles aren’t happening anymore.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners