Photo

FiveThirtyEight: There’s A Blueprint For Stopping Lamar Jackson, But Teams Aren’t Using It

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:09 PM

I'd like to see him target WRs more. Brown is his favorite, but he's still not 100% healthy. Snead is a good possession receiver, but I still feel like Boykin is being underused.

I get why people say that. But that's also a traditional mindset. Ravens have 3 legit receiving threats at TE. While that's not not optimal to stretch the field. It causes other problems. For one, if you're showing a willingness to pass to all 3 TEs, it harder for teams to load up for the run with all three on the game. That puts LBers on their heels, and gives you an advantage when you do run with all three on the field. It makes you unpredictable.

This is a very unique offense. Not only do you have the best athlete on the field playing QB. 3 of the 5 best receivers on the team are big TEs. Andrews is basically a WR. The only thing I'd like to see are more shots downfield to Boykin and Brown. With that said, if you're in a rhythm, picking up first downs, killing the clock and scoring points every drive, I really could care less if they take shots downfield.

#42 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,914 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:11 PM

No doubt...but I still want him to be a passer. I still want the team to go away from the run and be a passing team.

Go away from what works the best? 

@BSLMikeRandall

#43 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,193 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:27 PM

Go away from what works the best? 

I was saying that from the prospective of the other team.
@BSLRobShields

#44 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,914 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:54 PM

Ah. Gotcha.
@BSLMikeRandall

#45 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:33 PM

I just don't think you can stop the run with 7 guys in the box against this team. And the question is, can you adequately defend the pass with 8 in the box? 

If the Ravens stay on a roll, someone is going to try it eventually. But I think there is enough on tape of Lamar's arm capability that are still holding teams back. 

But if the Ravens roll of say multiple 8+ minute drives against SF and Houston, teams eventually are going to have to try and force this team into taking deep shots. 

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,521 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:40 PM

I just don't think you can stop the run with 7 guys in the box against this team. And the question is, can you adequately defend the pass with 8 in the box? 

If the Ravens stay on a roll, someone is going to try it eventually. But I think there is enough on tape of Lamar's arm capability that are still holding teams back. 

But if the Ravens roll of say multiple 8+ minute drives against SF and Houston, teams eventually are going to have to try and force this team into taking deep shots. 

Jackson is actually getting more yards per carry when teams put 8 in the box. 

#47 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:48 PM

No doubt...but I still want him to be a passer. I still want the team to go away from the run and be a passing team.

Patience. It will come.

#48 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

Prospective? Damn I hate auto-wrong. 😁

#49 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,193 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:17 PM

The 49ers game will be interesting. Their Dline is dominant.

The thing that is so good about the run game is the blocking up front. Ravens lead the league in yards before contact. They aren’t getting touched for a few yards.

Whether it’s the line, Richard, Boyle or all of the above, they are making it easy on the run game. So many of you complained about Boyle but he’s here because of what the Ravens want to do. He fits so well with the team.
@BSLRobShields

#50 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:50 PM

Lamar's passing is improving.  He still needs to work on the deep throws but I can live 64.3%.

It's funny how last year LJ sucked because he didn't hit 60%. He worked to get there and the goal posts are moving. 

#51 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:15 PM

It's funny how last year LJ sucked because he didn't hit 60%. He worked to get there and the goal posts are moving. 

And in my opinion he has exceeded what I thought he would be as a passer.  But as far as the goal posts moving, that's because the NFL rules have moved them.  There are currently 4 QBs over 70% completion pct.  The top 10 QBs going by completion pct. are over 66%.  Mason Rudolph is number 10 and he often looks like a deer in the headlights.  The NFL has moved the goal posts when it comes to completion pct.  When Teddy Bridgewater, a backup, has nearly a 68% completion pct. I would say that is mostly because of the rules that make QBs untouchable and dictate that defenders can't even touch receivers without getting a penalty.  The number 29th passer by completion pct. is Andy Dalton at 60.4%, who just got benched.  Years ago being over 60% made you a superstar.  In today's NFL that makes you average at best.  

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,190 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:39 PM

And in my opinion he has exceeded what I thought he would be as a passer. But as far as the goal posts moving, that's because the NFL rules have moved them. There are currently 4 QBs over 70% completion pct. The top 10 QBs going by completion pct. are over 66%. Mason Rudolph is number 10 and he often looks like a deer in the headlights. The NFL has moved the goal posts when it comes to completion pct. When Teddy Bridgewater, a backup, has nearly a 68% completion pct. I would say that is mostly because of the rules that make QBs untouchable and dictate that defenders can't even touch receivers without getting a penalty. The number 29th passer by completion pct. is Andy Dalton at 60.4%, who just got benched. Years ago being over 60% made you a superstar. In today's NFL that makes you average at best.

Completion percentage is actually down very slightly so far this year from last, 64.7% from 64.9% for the league, so the goalposts shouldn't have changed for Lamar.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#53 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:38 AM

I remember Vince Lombardi once saying that the opposition knew they were going to run the power sweep and do it frequently during the course of a game.  He firmly believed that if the execution was perfect, no one could stop it, regardless of whether they knew it was coming or not.  I feel that way about Lamar and our running game.  You may stop it at times but if they commit to it and stay the course for 4 quarters, they're going to do enough damage to win games.  So far, so good. 

• BSLMikeRandall, bmore_ken and JStruds like this

#54 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,193 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:43 AM

I remember Vince Lombardi once saying that the opposition knew they were going to run the power sweep and do it frequently during the course of a game.  He firmly believed that if the execution was perfect, no one could stop it, regardless of whether they knew it was coming or not.  I feel that way about Lamar and our running game.  You may stop it at times but if they commit to it and stay the course for 4 quarters, they're going to do enough damage to win games.  So far, so good. 

Football is a game of execution.  Its winning your 1 on 1 battles.  Its properly doing your assignment.  

I agree that if we do those things, the running game will be good.

@BSLRobShields

#55 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:16 PM

And in my opinion he has exceeded what I thought he would be as a passer.  But as far as the goal posts moving, that's because the NFL rules have moved them.  There are currently 4 QBs over 70% completion pct. 

He's clearly showing you don't have to be a 70% passer to succeed in the league. I'll take his +60% with his running ability over any 70% passer out there. The 70% guys are Matt Ryan 1-7, Derek Carr 5-4, Garappolo is 8-0 and Watson 6-3. I'll take what we have with LJ.

#56 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,193 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

He's clearly showing you don't have to be a 70% passer to succeed in the league. I'll take his +60% with his running ability over any 70% passer out there. The 70% guys are Matt Ryan 1-7, Derek Carr 5-4, Garappolo is 8-0 and Watson 6-3. I'll take what we have with LJ.

A lot of this is true.

The problem is that his legs are only going to be a weapon for so long, whether he ever gets hurt or not.

In the long run, you want the passing QB.

But for now, I agree with your point here.
@BSLRobShields

#57 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 570 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

The truth of the matter is that Jackson is completing 70% of his passes in the pocket. It's when he scrambles that his numbers dip to 60%. As he gets older he'll have to stay in the pocket more but the numbers say he'll be just fine. I'd like to see him push the ball down the field more but that probably has as much to do with the development of the wr's as anything else.

#58 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 362 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:13 PM

Contrary to Rob's opinion, clearly ALL of this is true and accurate, and any future beyond February can wait until then.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#59 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,914 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

Bengals didn’t get the blueprint.
@BSLMikeRandall

#60 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:13 PM

Bengals didn’t get the blueprint.

They slowed down the running game. They also showed what happens when you dare Lamar to pass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners