Photo

FiveThirtyEight: There’s A Blueprint For Stopping Lamar Jackson, But Teams Aren’t Using It

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,801 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:09 AM

FiveThirtyEight: There’s A Blueprint For Stopping Lamar Jackson, But Teams Aren’t Using It

https://fivethirtyei...=espn:nfl:teams

#2 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,108 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

A one off isn't a blueprint. That one off was Lamar's first playoff game and his, what, 7th career ever appearance as a pro? 538 should be better than that.
  • BSLSeanJester likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#3 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 555 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:33 AM

The Ravens O line was dominated in that game. Might not happen again.

#4 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,805 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:00 AM

A one off isn't a blueprint. That one off was Lamar's first playoff game and his, what, 7th career ever appearance as a pro? 538 should be better than that.

Right. And despite Lamar looking horrible for about 55 mins of that game he still had the ball in his hands with a chance to win at the end.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:22 AM

I think it's interesting to note that there was a gameplan that worked and that no defensive coordinator has the gumption to try it again. 

I think it's lazy journalism to note that a 7-man DB formation would automatically win. I'd imagine, many teams, have replicated the types of plays LA ran in that game, which to me are far more important likely than the type of players that executed it. I doubt that if they had 5 or 6 DBs and replaced those with run stuffing LBs that they'd been any less successful that day. 

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:49 AM

Imo that loss was more about MM failing to make second half adjustments to the offensive game plan than anything the Chargers did. 

#7 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,424 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

Seriously though, if any team tried to consistently use 7 DBs against the Ravens, Roman would just run 12 and 22 personnel down their throats and kill them on the ground.

@gabefergy

#8 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:51 PM

Seriously though, if any team tried to consistently use 7 DBs against the Ravens, Roman would just run 12 and 22 personnel down their throats and kill them on the ground.

I wonder if we'd see 23 personnel, too! I'd actually love to see that. 

#9 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:15 PM

Imo that loss was more about MM failing to make second half adjustments to the offensive game plan than anything the Chargers did.

Bingo. I was at that game yelling "throw the damn ball." MM didn't give us much of a chance to win that game because he kept running the same plays for 3 qtrs. even though they weren't working. This offense is completely different now. Our 3 TE set alone would destroy 7 DB's both running and throwing. Nobody is trying it because they know it wouldn't work now. Look at what NE did to that defense the following week. That was all on our dumbass offensive coordinator.

The thing that people are missing is that Lamar is completing 70% of his passes in the pocket. It's when he scrambles outside of the pocket that his completion percentage drops to 60%. Lamar according to the stats is a pocket passer and very capable of winning games that way. He runs because he's so good at it, not because he has to. Of course running opens up passing lanes for him but I bet if he stood there like a statue he'd still complete around 65% of his passes.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,863 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

This is kind of a lazy article.

Teams have tried, many things on Lamar. and they clearly are not working.  The other issue, is what may work for one team, because of their specific personnel, may not for another.

FWIW, I would love to play the LAC again, and have them try the same thing.  

• BSLGabeFerguson and ravens82 like this
@mikeghg

#11 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:12 PM

It's almost unfair to have someone outrun defenses like he does and complete 64% of his passes. The pieces that the Ravens have built around Lamar to complement him make this offense "revolutionary" like Harbaugh said. To think that there's some magic formula that's just going to shut this offense down is probably not too smart.
  • Mike B likes this

#12 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

The Ravens O line was dominated in that game. Might not happen again.

The Ravens OLine was dominated because they were against Ingram and Bosa at the ends.  I can't think of another team with a scarier DLine.  This is a remake of the Giants line with Strahan and Umenyora.

#13 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:16 PM

I will leave open the possibility that the Chargers could do that again against Jackson, if only because of their D-Line being so difficult to manage.  But it does ignore the major personnel differences between the 2018 Ravens and the 2019 Ravens that make it really hard to go small vs the Ravens.

#14 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,805 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:19 PM

Marty Morningwood ain't here no more. We'd handle the London Chargers easily if we played them this year.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#15 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,424 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:39 PM

I wonder if we'd see 23 personnel, too! I'd actually love to see that. 

According to sharp football, the Ravens have used 23 personnel on 14 snaps this season!

• BSLJordanKough likes this
@gabefergy

#16 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 02:47 PM

According to sharp football, the Ravens have used 23 personnel on 14 snaps this season!

Well on the QB power TD they also ran 130 personnel. With J. Hurst on the field with 3 TEs and a FB. I guess he was eligible so it was technically 14 personnel. 

I can't wait until they whip that play back out again at some point and run a passing play. 

• Mike B and BSLGabeFerguson like this

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,863 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:09 PM

Well on the QB power TD they also ran 130 personnel. With J. Hurst on the field with 3 TEs and a FB. I guess he was eligible so it was technically 14 personnel. 

I can't wait until they whip that play back out again at some point and run a passing play. 

James Hurst on the 9 route?

@mikeghg

#18 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

1/9th, lol. I mean he's got to earn his contract somehow :) 

#19 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:28 PM

I. Would. Pay. To. See. That.

#20 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,335 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

You still have to make him beat you with his arm.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners