#1 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,384 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:49 PM

A look ahead at the 2nd half of the season.

https://www.baltimor...-ravens-season/

• BSLChrisStoner, Ricker Says and BSLMikeRandall like this
@gabefergy

#2 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,043 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:06 PM

Enjoying your articles, Gabe.

I think one benefit of the tough schedule remaining, is positive momentum heading into January. They'll be battle tested AND feel really good about their ability to beat good teams.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#3 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:21 PM

I think one benefit of the tough schedule remaining, is positive momentum heading into January. They'll be battle tested AND feel really good about their ability to beat good teams.

They have to win those games first. We've seen the full potential, beating arguably the best team in the NFL, despite giving them the ball at the 20 twice. But we've also seen them get handled by the Browns.

#4 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:49 PM

The Ravens have a tiger by the tail with Lamar Jackson, and if he continues as he's been performing he will not only be MVP, but it will be one of the greatest seasons ever by an individual. He is a difference maker, and I think the Ravens are using him well, with a good balance of pass/run. If opponents sell out to stop the running game, Jackson has shown me he is capable of beating them passing, especially with the talent  shown in receiving. Most of all, the OL is killing it, especially run blocking, and that is where it all begins.

Vince Lombardi said, "Football is a simple game. You block better and you tackle better, you win." I think if you broaden "tackle" to include pressure the QB, that about sums it up. Playing smart and disciplined, yet being physical and hitting hard is what the Ravens have been doing, and if they keep it up even a tough schedule will be overcome.

• Ricker Says likes this

#5 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,043 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:01 PM

They have to win those games first. We've seen the full potential, beating arguably the best team in the NFL, despite giving them the ball at the 20 twice. But we've also seen them get handled by the Browns.

I meant to imply that, but of course. Just saying, so long as things go well, I'd prefer the tough road to the easy one.
  • BSLJordanKough likes this
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#6 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:18 PM

I meant to imply that, but of course. Just saying, so long as things go well, I'd prefer the tough road to the easy one.

It's good experience for Lamar, too. 

We've struggled early in some of our other big games, including the both losses to the Chiefs and the win and loss against LA last year. I think testing him mentally both in preparation and on the field in big games can make a big difference. 

• Ricker Says likes this

#7 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:52 PM

Is the 2nd half of the season really tougher than the 1st half? I think this is debatable. We've had KC and Seattle on the road and NE and Arizona at home. In the 2nd half we get Houston and San Fran at home and we go to Buffalo and LA. The Jets and Miami are a push and the other 3 games are the same division teams. I really don't see where the 2nd half schedule is any tougher than the 1st half.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#8 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,043 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

Is the 2nd half of the season really tougher than the 1st half? I think this is debatable. We've had KC and Seattle on the road and NE and Arizona at home. In the 2nd half we get Houston and San Fran at home and we go to Buffalo and LA. The Jets and Miami are a push and the other 3 games are the same division teams. I really don't see where the 2nd half schedule is any tougher than the 1st half.

I don't see where anyone said it was, just that it was tough. Which it is.

#9 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,384 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 06 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

Thank you.

I agree it's a good thing to play quality teams. Gives you a better knowledge of how you stack up and where you need to improve.
@gabefergy

#10 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

I don't see where anyone said it was, just that it was tough. Which it is.

I think that has been the general thought all season even though I wasn't pointing out anyone in particular in this thread. It's just that when you dissect it both halves look pretty equal which is a positive given the fact that we're 6-2.

#11 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:24 PM

I (would like to) think that with Peters and Jimmy Smith in the fold, the Browns don’t repeat that performance.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:45 PM

The team that lost to the Browns was a different team imo

• JStruds likes this

#13 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 363 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:31 AM

Yeah, something clicked before the Seattle game, because even in the wins over Pitts and Cincy, the team did not look good, especially on pass rush/defense.  It is probably a combination of mental adjustments and personnel adjustments.  Guys who were not producing are gone, and the ones who joined or got more playing time as a result are maybe hungrier.

The return of Smith, Peanut and Brown improved an improving team even more. 

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,200 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:12 PM

Only because BWill was out.

Otherwise, it’s the same team..they just happened to play poorly that day.
@BSLRobShields

#15 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,384 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

Only because BWill was out.

Otherwise, it’s the same team..they just happened to play poorly that day.

Fort, Bynes, Ward, Peters, Smith, Clark...about half the defense is different.
@gabefergy

#16 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

I was thinking the same thing. That's actually 7 different players. Much different defense.

#17 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,200 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:29 PM

Good point but you also beat teams without some of those guys, so I don’t really buy into that argument as much.

Defense is paying better and changing the ILB has helped. But the front 7 is still not super deep or talented.

It’s just better.

The secondary does make a difference though, that’s for sure.

But the Pats offense did move the ball and that wasn’t in garbage time either....Ravens defensive DVOA actually went down.
@BSLRobShields

#18 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:39 PM

But the Pats offense did move the ball and that wasn’t in garbage time either....Ravens defensive DVOA actually went down.

This isn't looking at their defense scoring the right way, their ranking went down, but their DVOA actually improved (went down) from .8% to .7% (negative or lower numbers are better on defense).

It's also worth nothing, early games start to lose their weight in DVOA now. So the Miami game is only rated 85% and will continue to go down. So it'll be interesting to watch the Ravens DVOA on offense and defense the next 4-5 weeks as the game that was the outlier is weighed less and less. 

Also, after playing the Ravens the evaluation of the Pats offense went from 2.9% to 2.1%. So the Ravens defense did leave a negative impact on the Pats performance as well. 

#19 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,200 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:57 PM

Ok fair enough on the DVOA rating although its barely boring a .1 improvement but it’s better nonetheless.

Doesn’t change my point though. NE moved the ball. They even ran it well in terms of YPC..they just didn’t run a lot.

I’m hoping that the secondary can carry the team because I still don’t quite trust the front 7. It’s better but not great by any means. Blitzing and 1 on 1 coverage is our best bet.
@BSLRobShields

#20 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,921 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

Looking ahead, The 49ers could be 11-0 when we get to that game. I wonder if a team ever faced, or beaten two teams 8-0 or better in one season.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners