#1 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

I know there was a real good thread like this over at the other place, so thought maybe we could get one going here. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced the side effects of watching sports 24/7, typically why consuming significant amounts of beer!

A few weeks ago a friend I made down here in Jacksonville and I decided once my lease is up at the end of November, we were going to get a place together on the beach. For me, I know living on the beach will be awesome, especially if you're not scaring tourists when you take your shirt off. So, that is serving as one of my primary reasons. I weighed about 150-155 pounds when I graduated high school in 06 and I've gotten it up to consistently about 195 these days. Definitely not ideal. The majority of the weight gain was in college, I've pretty much kept things hovering in the mid 190s for about a year now, but it's time for that to change! I'm hoping to use this thread as a personal record of accountability for myself and hopefully I'm not the only one participating!

I'll say I started my 'plan' about 2 weeks ago. Weighed myself and was right around 194. Since then I've started managing the portions of my meals better, avoiding fast food and my primary downfall, pizza, minimzing the beer consumption during the week, and last Monday I started Insanity, which is appropriately named because it absolutely kills me every day.

Weighed myself this morning and was at 188.4 and even though it's only been a little over 2 weeks, I feel significantly better. I doubt there's much visual difference, but everything feels much better. Looking forward to sticking to this and ideally getting things down somewhere in the 170s.

I told my dad, 'If the Orioles can have a winning record and play meaningful baseball in September, I can drop 20 pounds and get into shape.' I think that's a good deal!

@AdamWolff

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Good luck! I've got the P90X DVDs, but haven't started using them.

I'm still paying a ton monthly for the Canton Merritt even though I've pretty much stopped going altogether. My motivation for working out has really disappeared over the last year or two since I'm no longer single. I'm not in bad shape, but I worked pretty hard to get myself from scrawny to in decent shape after college and through about two years ago. Went from about 150 up to about 170 and was putting up what I thought was good numbers at the gym. Now I'm down to about 160 again and don't lift at all anymore. I do occasionally use the gym to do some cardio, but I get most of my "workouts" through BSSC sports or work-league stuff. I'd like to get back into it, but I just don't have the motivation to go 5 times a week for an hour or so to lift anymore. Also, my roommates who I used to go with and could help motivate each other to go are no longer living with me.

Ideally I'd quit the gym, save myself a bunch of money, and find some workouts to do around my house to prevent me from getting too big of a gut (genetics and metabolism will help me avoid ever being fat, but a gut is certainly possible) and perhaps gain back a tiny bit of the strength I've lost.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,019 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

I've always been overweight. I've also always been reasonably active. My father is a runner, and in addition to playing rec sports growing up he used to take me to the track with him and while he ran I would ride my bike or throw/hit a ball against a wall or kick a ball around the field. Doing all of that also showed me that there was a limit to what I was willing to do (I HATE running, outside of a direct sporting context like chasing a fly ball, for example), and I know I don't have the willpower to stick to some strict diet or exercise regimen.

In thinking about how I might lose weight, I would end up going back to my time living on-campus at Maryland. The last time I weighed myself before I left for college, I was somewhere in the 285 range. When I came home for good two years later and had a physical, I weighed around 255. I hadn't tried to lose weight, and I was less active from an exercise standpoint then I was at home. The best thing I can figure is that I had two advantages:

1) Walking. Lots of walking. Walking to class, walking to other activities, walking to Route 1, even walking to the dining hall and the Incon. I was walking essentially a mile-and-a-half or two miles a day, over a hilly campus.

2) Limited food. Because I had a budget for food in the dining hall--and little cash available for junk food outside of ordering food some weekends--I wasn't necessarily able to eat as much as I wanted. Plus, food is the one place where I did make some effort. Every weekday I would drink milk instead of soda for lunch, and I would sometimes get salad instead of something fried.

Remembering all of this, and looking at my diet and lifestyle, I decided to make some smaller changes. I stopped drinking soda at home, switching to iced tea (and making my tea with less sugar than I used to), and drinking a bit more water. I started cooking more, figuring even if I fried my own chicken fingers instead of getting them from a fast-food restaurant that would be better. I eat a little bit less where I can. And I started walking several times a week, a mile or two.

I've been doing all of these since late last year, and I've gone from 270 (where my weight generally was for the past few years) to 258. I don't really have a goal: I just wanted to make a change and see what would happen.

#4 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

Restaurant / Travel Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,372 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

Decided to take a break from drinking for a month between Valentines Day and St. Patrick's Day and today marks the halfway point. On top of that I am also doing Whole 30 with my wife. I'm down 9 pounds in two weeks.

I was 202 when I started, was hoping to lose a freakish 20 pounds in that time, but it looks like it'll be around 12-15 if I really hit the gym hard.

Either way I'll be at my lightest in about 20+ years.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,591 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

Think I'm taking a break too.  Been hitting it hard lately.

@fuzydunlop

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:22 PM

I'm probably in the worst shape of my life right now.  Still only clocking in at about 170-175 depending on the day, but I stopped lifting well over a year ago, haven't done any exercising since golf/softball season ended in the fall, and probably should be 160 or so if it weren't for the spare tire I'm carrying around.

Sports are picking back up, and it'll be nice enough out to go for a jog on occasion (I hate running...but being fat isn't much more fun), so I think I'll drop at least a portion of the unwanted baggage as we get into the spring without needing to really focus on it.  But I might decide to focus on it.  

#7 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,372 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:46 PM

I'm probably in the worst shape of my life right now.  Still only clocking in at about 170-175 depending on the day, but I stopped lifting well over a year ago, haven't done any exercising since golf/softball season ended in the fall, and probably should be 160 or so if it weren't for the spare tire I'm carrying around.

Sports are picking back up, and it'll be nice enough out to go for a jog on occasion (I hate running...but being fat isn't much more fun), so I think I'll drop at least a portion of the unwanted baggage as we get into the spring without needing to really focus on it.  But I might decide to focus on it.  

How tall are you?

Yeah, it's hard. I turn 40 in May and wanted to be in my best shape since college. That was my motivation or else I would be coming out of a 4-5 day long weekend bender myself. And that's every weekend.

However, by doing this diet, I have been:

- Sleeping better, waking up feeling more rested and not getting as tired as the day wears on.

- Pooping better. I mean like, the best poops. Quick, easy and no mess.

- Farting less. For a while I could melt paint off walls and my wife obviously didn't like that.

- Skin looks better. Bags under eyes are gone. No more puffiness or bloating.

- Less appetite. I used to be able to put away some food. Eating cleaner has curbed the desire for more food when I don't need it.

I miss the shit out of drinking and hanging out but I have been trying to enjoy the things that come along with no alcohol.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#8 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,303 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:53 PM

I've gained 5 lbs the past 2 months, despite working out 5 days a week. Drinking is 100% the culprit. And March will be heavy between St. Patty's Day, my BDay (3/20), March Madness and baseball. Gonna have to go back to exclusively marijuana. No calories, and I don't tend to get the munchies. Drinking is so much more social though, and helped me meet my lady. I still feel great, just being active and working out sees to that. But I'd love to lose another 25-35 lbs.
  • BSLSeanJester likes this
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#9 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,372 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:54 PM

I've gained 5 lbs the past 2 months, despite working out 5 days a week. Drinking is 100% the culprit. And March will be heavy between St. Patty's Day, my BDay (3/20), March Madness and baseball. Gonna have to go back to exclusively marijuana. No calories, and I don't tend to get the munchies. Drinking is so much more social though, and helped me meet my lady. I still feel great, just being active and working out sees to that. But I'd love to lose another 25-35 lbs.

I've thought about smoking weed on this diet. I don't even know how to get it. Yup, that's me.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:02 PM

How tall are you?

Yeah, it's hard. I turn 40 in May and wanted to be in my best shape since college. That was my motivation or else I would be coming out of a 4-5 day long weekend bender myself. And that's every weekend.

I'm 5' 11".  I'm not really fat but I've got a gut now when I usually don't and I'm quite out of shape both cardio and strength wise.  Mostly I just need the nice weather to get here quickly and then everything will more or less take care of itself.  I'll start doing more and should slim down.

I've done Whole 30 before, at least half-assedly.  My wife did it full throttle, I still drank and didn't worry about meals when I was away from home.  I'm generally against most fad diets, even though I tend to shed weight quickly if I do it, I can go a week or two without carbs and probably drop 10 lb.  I find that I enjoy food too much to really get into many diets.  I am not much for junk food or desserts or snacking, so even if I'm eating a lot of heavy meals, I don't eat all that horribly.

#11 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:49 PM

I'm a pizza or two away from being the heaviest I've ever been. It's been a rollercoaster with me. They say when you diet, if you don't keep to it, you put it back on and then some. That's me. I was 318 about 6 years ago. Got down to 285 for my wedding which was 4 and half ago. Hovered around 300 for a year. Got down to 265 3 years ago. Back up to 305 over the next two years. Back down to 280 about 6 months back. Right now I'm about 310, and all the bad things that come with it. Snoring. Gout. Joints hurt, back hurts. Not sleeping through the night. Heartburn every day. Usually 300 is the mark. if I'm 299, I feel great. If I'm 301, all the bad side effects come out. 

Instead of a diet, I just need to slow my intake. Old fashioned counting calories and realize the goal I want to be (250ish) isn't going to happen overnight. Or even in a month or two. I could do some gimmick diet and lose 30 pounds in 6 weeks. I'd put 40 back on in the 6 weeks after. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#12 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:03 PM

Last year, I took off the last 14 weeks of the year from running.  This was my longest layoff in 19 years when I was out for almost as long with a stress fracture.  Needed the break both physically and mentally.  I started running again on January 1st (how cliche).  Mainly because I was at home from the shut down and had extra time on my hands.  It wasn't enjoyable for a few weeks but I kept at it, and before I knew it I was back into a routine again.  I haven't ran a marathon since fall of '16  (for many reasons).  I'm not sure yet if I want to do one, but I'm considering and have my eye on something.  It's been going good for the most part but with Spring coming and sports season coming for 3 kids free time is scant which makes it harder.  I'll see what happens, but it feels good to be back into it (even though my tendinitis in my achilles is coming back)

One other thing I'll mention is DDP yoga.  I've been doing it for about 6 sometimes 7 days a week for 2 years now and I still love it.  This is probably the strongest I've been since right out of college when I was lifting every day.  My flexibility is also the best it's ever been.  I've plugged this program before and I'll plug it again.  It's great, you get a full body workout and it's doable for any fitness level (no stress on the body at all).  Even when I took my time off from running I was still getting in my yoga and it was helping scratch my itch of still working out.  Need one more plug for it.  Apparently Ed Reed is one of the ambassadors of DDP Yoga and is looking to help get other NFL retirees into doing it.

#13 BSLSeanJester

BSLSeanJester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,372 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

I'm a pizza or two away from being the heaviest I've ever been. It's been a rollercoaster with me. They say when you diet, if you don't keep to it, you put it back on and then some. That's me. I was 318 about 6 years ago. Got down to 285 for my wedding which was 4 and half ago. Hovered around 300 for a year. Got down to 265 3 years ago. Back up to 305 over the next two years. Back down to 280 about 6 months back. Right now I'm about 310, and all the bad things that come with it. Snoring. Gout. Joints hurt, back hurts. Not sleeping through the night. Heartburn every day. Usually 300 is the mark. if I'm 299, I feel great. If I'm 301, all the bad side effects come out. 

Instead of a diet, I just need to slow my intake. Old fashioned counting calories and realize the goal I want to be (250ish) isn't going to happen overnight. Or even in a month or two. I could do some gimmick diet and lose 30 pounds in 6 weeks. I'd put 40 back on in the 6 weeks after. 

Do you drink soda?

#14 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

Do you drink soda?

No, thankfully.

I probably don’t drink enough water a day, supposed to be a gallon for my size. Maybe I get half that. I’ll get unsweet tea and add a pack of sweetener if I’m out to eat. I drink socially, so a few times a month.
@BSLMikeRandall

#15 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Moderators
  • 8,803 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:19 AM

I'm finally (and by finally, I mean after 5 years) feeling healthy after some serious health issues that lingered and didn't seem to go away.  Multiple surgeries, VA hospital botching some easy stuff.  After many starts and stops on my return to fitness, I finally am able to physically withstand a regular program.  Anyway, I'd been working out at a Merritt in White Marsh.  It's a fine gym, really.  Nothing to speak ill of.  The people are nice, nice amenities.

But my friends at work turned me on to Exile in Rosedale.  And it's the best gym I've ever gone to.  It's big and there's no bullshit.  People don't go there for a social club.  Just a bunch of people putting in work and it has everything that you'd need to get strong.  I love it.  I can't recommend it enough.  If you're in the area, check it out.  It's on 40 by King Liquors.

Also, I've gotten back to basics.  Kind of a 5x5 inspired program.  Almost 100% barbell and the results have been fantastic. I am seeing some serious progress, my sleep issues have almost disappeared, mentally I feel the best I have in years, my energy is through the roof and a woman at work told me how good I look.  She was missing the majority of her teeth and smelled bad, but it was encouraging nonetheless.

• BSLChrisStoner, DuffMan and BSLMikeRandall like this

#16 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,230 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:30 PM

I'm finally (and by finally, I mean after 5 years) feeling healthy after some serious health issues that lingered and didn't seem to go away. Multiple surgeries, VA hospital botching some easy stuff. After many starts and stops on my return to fitness, I finally am able to physically withstand a regular program. Anyway, I'd been working out at a Merritt in White Marsh. It's a fine gym, really. Nothing to speak ill of. The people are nice, nice amenities.

But my friends at work turned me on to Exile in Rosedale. And it's the best gym I've ever gone to. It's big and there's no bullshit. People don't go there for a social club. Just a bunch of people putting in work and it has everything that you'd need to get strong. I love it. I can't recommend it enough. If you're in the area, check it out. It's on 40 by King Liquors.

Also, I've gotten back to basics. Kind of a 5x5 inspired program. Almost 100% barbell and the results have been fantastic. I am seeing some serious progress, my sleep issues have almost disappeared, mentally I feel the best I have in years, my energy is through the roof and a woman at work told me how good I look. She was missing the majority of her teeth and smelled bad, but it was encouraging nonetheless.

Always glad to hear stories like this. I’m happy for you. Most of any health problems I have stem from weight. But I find myself too busy to workout (bad excuse) or when I do I’m sore for three days so I don’t get in a good routine (another bad excuse)

Did you tell that woman that you are human being with feelings and not a piece of meat looking to be objectified. #metoo ;)
  • Russ likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#17 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Moderators
  • 8,803 posts
  • LocationNaughtyham

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:52 PM

Always glad to hear stories like this. I’m happy for you. Most of any health problems I have stem from weight. But I find myself too busy to workout (bad excuse) or when I do I’m sore for three days so I don’t get in a good routine (another bad excuse)

Did you tell that woman that you are human being with feelings and not a piece of meat looking to be objectified. #metoo ;)

I've got a long way to go, no doubt.  It's been a long time since I was on a dedicated training program.  And I'm working 60 hours a week.  I imagine once the euphoria rubs off, that it's going to be easier for me to make excuses not to train.  

I think I've passed a benchmark, though.  It feels like I'm past the "just getting back" phase to "this guy's here 5 days a week every week" phase.  Just got to keep getting in there.

• BSLMikeRandall likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners