#1 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,382 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:36 AM

I took a look back on the Ravens first half of the season and how the Ravens have jumped out to their best start since 2012.

https://www.baltimor...-ravens-season/

• BSLChrisStoner, Ricker Says and BSLMikeRandall like this
@gabefergy

#2 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:58 AM

I think the interesting part of the evolution of this team is that teams are forcing the Ravens into being a chain moving team. You've got sustain drives, we're going to mostly play in a base defense. Keep a safety deep and keep a spy on Lamar. Make a drive to hold the ball and win. The Ravens showed they could do that against a very sound defensive team that exploits mistakes. 

It will be interesting to watch in the second half, if this Ravens team can beat the Texans or Niners on the heels of 9+ minute drives if teams try and go the other direction now. They'll know they need to get more possessions and more time on offense, we saw a no huddle put the Ravens on their heels in the second half.

I'm interested if the NFL's counter is to gamble more, bring more guys to the LOS, stop with the spy and the deep guy and really bring the pressure at Lamar and the Ravens more consistently. It may result in some chunk plays but would you rather have 22 minutes of possession versus 37, and ultimately get the same results? Big sacks or tackles for losses could be drive killers and ultimately those could be more influential in games when you might give up 50+ yards at a time anyway. 

#3 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

I trust Greg Roman to make adjustments far more than I ever trusted Morninweg. The biggest key in the 2nd half of the season is the improvement of the defense. Lamar and the offense get most of the attention but our biggest problem early in the season was our defense against the pass. That has looked significantly better the last 2 games and if we're truly better I expect our success to continue in the 2nd half of the season.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:44 PM

I trust Greg Roman to make adjustments far more than I ever trusted Morninweg. The biggest key in the 2nd half of the season is the improvement of the defense. Lamar and the offense get most of the attention but our biggest problem early in the season was our defense against the pass. That has looked significantly better the last 2 games and if we're truly better I expect our success to continue in the 2nd half of the season.

I think we have 2 very good coordinators who I think are getting the most out of their talent.  The defense has played better since Bynes, Fort, and Clark have gone into rotations.  With the acquisition of Peters, and the return of Smith and Peanut, they should continue to make progress.

@mikeghg

#5 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:01 PM

I think we have 2 very good coordinators who I think are getting the most out of their talent. The defense has played better since Bynes, Fort, and Clark have gone into rotations. With the acquisition of Peters, and the return of Smith and Peanut, they should continue to make progress.

With those changes looking pretty solid the key looks like getting production from Ferguson, Bowser and Ward. So far so good but we need to see growth in the 2nd half of the season.

#6 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 437 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:08 PM

Long term I’d be worried that Roman gets poached for a HC job this offseason. I wonder if we pay him HC money like Belichick/Pats did for McDaniels.

#7 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

Long term I’d be worried that Roman gets poached for a HC job this offseason. I wonder if we pay him HC money like Belichick/Pats did for McDaniels.

If we make a deep playoff run, I expect the Ravens would spend a couple million extra to keep Roman in place.

#8 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:07 PM

I was thinking about that too. I'm sure the Ravens are on top of this because he's very important as long as Lamar is the qb.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,181 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:12 PM

I'm quite sure that Ravens are not going to stand in the way of one of their coordinators getting a head coaching job.  I think they'll advocate for him rather than try to convince him to turn down a gig.

I think DeCosta was a special case.  They've always been very forward in trying to help their assistants get bigger jobs even if it's elsewhere.  They'll pay Roman what he's worth if he doesn't really want to leave but is getting offers (I think this is what happened with DeCosta), but I'd be pretty damn surprised if Roman would rather be OC here than head coach somewhere else.  He's not like DeCosta where he'd been with the organization for decades.

#10 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,382 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:22 PM

I'm quite sure that Ravens are not going to stand in the way of one of their coordinators getting a head coaching job.  I think they'll advocate for him rather than try to convince him to turn down a gig.

I think DeCosta was a special case.  They've always been very forward in trying to help their assistants get bigger jobs even if it's elsewhere.  They'll pay Roman what he's worth if he doesn't really want to leave but is getting offers (I think this is what happened with DeCosta), but I'd be pretty damn surprised if Roman would rather be OC here than head coach somewhere else.  He's not like DeCosta where he'd been with the organization for decades.

I would tend to agree with this, and I also think the desire to hire Roman as a HC may not be that great in reality. I think you would have to be a team that wants to do things very differently to bring in Roman. He has done very well with dual-threat QBs and he clearly has a strong grasp of coordinating a rushing attack, but I am not sure there are many teams around the league that are going to want or could use that kind of approach on offense.

Of course, teams do illogical things all the time so maybe he would be a prime candidate for any team that is looking to inject some life into their offense.

@gabefergy

#11 85Knight

85Knight

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

I agree. I was thinking along the lines of prepping his replacement because with continued success he's surely gone.

#12 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 06:54 PM

Of course the irony is that usually, when a coordinator is hired to be some other team's head coach, they go an get their own DC or OC, thus rendering the reason for the hire almost meaningless.  They might have a certain philosophy about how an offense or defense should be played but ultimately, it's going to be the coordinator's baby.  So, even though Roman has almost "revolutionized" the way a rushing attack can play in the NFL, that doesn't mean his new team is going to do the same thing.  More than likely, it won't. 

#13 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,382 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:45 PM

Of course the irony is that usually, when a coordinator is hired to be some other team's head coach, they go an get their own DC or OC, thus rendering the reason for the hire almost meaningless.  They might have a certain philosophy about how an offense or defense should be played but ultimately, it's going to be the coordinator's baby.  So, even though Roman has almost "revolutionized" the way a rushing attack can play in the NFL, that doesn't mean his new team is going to do the same thing.  More than likely, it won't. 

Most OC's that get hired on as HCs run the offenses of their new teams - they bring in an "OC" because it's an important role on a coaching staff, but it's always a just an extension of the HC in practicality.

@gabefergy

#14 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,124 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:48 PM

I would tend to agree with this, and I also think the desire to hire Roman as a HC may not be that great in reality. I think you would have to be a team that wants to do things very differently to bring in Roman. He has done very well with dual-threat QBs and he clearly has a strong grasp of coordinating a rushing attack, but I am not sure there are many teams around the league that are going to want or could use that kind of approach on offense.

Of course, teams do illogical things all the time so maybe he would be a prime candidate for any team that is looking to inject some life into their offense.

If some team drafts Jalen Hurts, thinking he can be Lamar, they may want Roman as the coach.

Not sure the desire will be there otherwise though.
@BSLRobShields

#15 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,382 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:27 AM

Interesting segment on Greg Roman and Lamar Jackson.

Mentions high (44%) targets for TEs is good because TE targets are more efficient on average.

https://www.pff.com/...ay-callers-2019
@gabefergy

#16 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,124 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:20 AM

I could see that. They are generally bigger targets and generally are lined up against guys that are either slower or smaller than they are.
@BSLRobShields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners