52 replies to this topic

#41 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

I'm curious about what Seattle did, too. And Pitt. Though watching the Pitt tape, it was just bad reads by Lamar the throws were there and he didn't take them. I think you're right in that we see a similar style in what the Pats brought to the Ravens game. 

It sounds like they thought Lamar was going to run and were ready for it and he still beat them there. Ultimately, to me, that's the question. Have teams been spying him? Do they need to double spy him? Are we seeing more zone because of that? Can the Ravens take advantage of that or have they in the passing game? 

Next week, I also want to take a closer look at how the Pats are defending the run. The teams they have played aren't very good, so are they vulnerable there, even if they haven't shown to be statistically? 

#42 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:31 AM

Pitt was definitely spying a lot, maybe not every play, but on many.

Seattle I didnt notice it as much or maybe they just weren't as effective with it.
@gabefergy

#43 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 426 posts
  • LocationSomewhere around LA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:36 PM

I'm curious about what Seattle did, too. And Pitt. Though watching the Pitt tape, it was just bad reads by Lamar the throws were there and he didn't take them. I think you're right in that we see a similar style in what the Pats brought to the Ravens game. 

It sounds like they thought Lamar was going to run and were ready for it and he still beat them there. Ultimately, to me, that's the question. Have teams been spying him? Do they need to double spy him? Are we seeing more zone because of that? Can the Ravens take advantage of that or have they in the passing game? 

Next week, I also want to take a closer look at how the Pats are defending the run. The teams they have played aren't very good, so are they vulnerable there, even if they haven't shown to be statistically? 

On the 30-yard scramble, they blitzed 5 and had 2 linebackers spying Jackson.  One linebacker got chipped, He blew by the other one and only got tackled because a DB shed a block right next to him and snagged his shoelaces.

• BSLJordanKough likes this

#44 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:26 PM

On the 30-yard scramble, they blitzed 5 and had 2 linebackers spying Jackson.  One linebacker got chipped, He blew by the other one and only got tackled because a DB shed a block right next to him and snagged his shoelaces.

It's kind of amazing how Madden like Lamar truly is. A double spy and a 5-man blitz should almost never generate an outcome like what Lamar got on that play. 

The solution ultimately for teams is probably very standard football though, keep the Ravens in 3rd and longs and make Lamar beat you like that on the regular. The question is, how the run offense sets up early and if the Ravens have to start throwing earlier in the downs and running (with Lamar) later in the downs. 

#45 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

It's kind of amazing how Madden like Lamar truly is. A double spy and a 5-man blitz should almost never generate an outcome like what Lamar got on that play. 

The solution ultimately for teams is probably very standard football though, keep the Ravens in 3rd and longs and make Lamar beat you like that on the regular. The question is, how the run offense sets up early and if the Ravens have to start throwing earlier in the downs and running (with Lamar) later in the downs. 

So, I watched it a 2nd time, and I was mistaken; there was in fact 1 true spy, and he got blocked late by Gus Edwards, but the LB shed it pretty easily.  Nonetheless Jackson still ran by him.

The LB I thought was the 2nd spy appeared to get chipped by 89 (Andrews) but the LB just stuck with him in pass coverage.  I didn't see it until they changed the camera angle.  Still, he ran deep into the secondary with 5 blitz and a LB spy.

#46 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 85,702 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:35 PM

Elite means legitimate Super Bowl threat.

I’m not ready to put them in that category yet.

I will say that a lot of the league is terrible and, by default, they cloud make a run.

The Ravens were the last team to play on WC weekend and make the SB. Since then, only teams with first round byes have made it.

NE will get the 1 seed barring some terrible rash of injuries.

No one else can be viewed as a definite candidate for the bye.
@BSLRobShields

#47 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:35 PM

So, I watched it a 2nd time, and I was mistaken; there was in fact 1 true spy, and he got blocked late by Gus Edwards, but the LB shed it pretty easily. Nonetheless Jackson still ran by him.

The LB I thought was the 2nd spy appeared to get chipped by 89 (Andrews) but the LB just stuck with him in pass coverage. I didn't see it until they changed the camera angle. Still, he ran deep into the secondary with 5 blitz and a LB spy.

Teams will smarten up and use the Chargers game plan on him. They'll use a sure tackling safety as a spy vs a LBer. He is too fast and shifty for a lineman or LBer to have a chance one on one outside of the pocket.

#48 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:43 PM

Teams will smarten up and use the Chargers game plan on him. They'll use a sure tackling safety as a spy vs a LBer. He is too fast and shifty for a lineman or LBer to have a chance one on one outside of the pocket.

This strategy only works if the Ravens continue to tip the running plays, IMO, which seemed to be the consensus coming out of that game. 

If they go heavy and other teams are in 7 DB packages they should be able to steam roll those teams pretty hard. Which is pretty much exactly what the Pats did the following week. 

I think that game and gameplan impact was more of a one-off fluke than the future effective strategy to stop this team. 

• Bmore Irish, bmore_ken and ravens82 like this

#49 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:44 PM

I honestly don't think that works either because a) Lamar is a much better passer than he was last year, so if you cheat with a safety in the box as a spy he can do what we saw week 1 and b) if you do a big nickel/dime and take a LB off the field, the Ravens can just run down your throat.

Lamar being a decent to good passer really changes this offense because you have treat him like a viable pocket passer.

@gabefergy

#50 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,343 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

ha Jordan beat me to it.

I will say one more thing is the Chargers also had two versatile and elite lineman in Bosa and Ingram that destroyed the Ravens OL.

Bad OL play and a bad game plan with zero creativity/changes were as big if not bigger factors in how the Chargers beat the Ravens last year.

@gabefergy

#51 Steve55

Steve55

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 548 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:50 PM

The Chargers game plan involved a very good D line that controlled our O line. They were forced to play more DB's because they only had one healthy LB. Add in they seemed to not want him to throw.

• BSLJordanKough and Bmore Irish like this

#52 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:55 PM

The Chargers game plan involved a very good D line that controlled our O line. They were forced to play more DB's because they only had one healthy LB. Add in they seemed to not want him to throw.

This is true, too. The only reason the Chargers played that many DBs was because that's all that had. Agreed with Gabe here about gameplan and creativity as the issue. 

#53 hallas

hallas
  • Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:38 PM

The number of sure-tackling safeties that can run a sub-4.4 40 surely can be counted with one hand.  There are a lot of teams that just don't have the personnel to run this.  And if you're going to replace one of your LBs with a faster safety to spy Jackson, have fun when Mark Ingram runs at you and laughs.

Also others brought up the fact that if you're bringing in DBs to cover Jackson's running game, Jackson's a good enough passer this year to throw it over your head and laugh all the way to the end zone.

I'll also add that this particular development for Jackson was completely and wholly unexpected by me.  I expected him to be a game manager who could run.  He's an actual passing threat this year, and all he has to do is get a bit more consistent with his reads and he's going to be the best quarterback in the league.  He's already flashed the ability to get there, which is amazing in and of itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners