Photo

Ravens win in Seattle; 5-2 with New England Next (Post-Game Thoughts)

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,220 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:33 PM

Late in the 3rdQ, they had about 70 yards rushing...they got up to 199 by the end of the game.

At halftime, the Seahawks had a TOP advantage of 5 minutes. They essentially ended up sharing the ball for the exact amount of time overall.

Seattle was 10-17 for third down today, which was a horrible stat for the defense.

However, after starting 8-11, the defense did better on third down in the 4thQ.

They also were better vs the run as the game went on.
@BSLRobShields

#42 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:38 PM

I don't think you can apply QBR to Jackson as far as overall effectiveness.  He isn't a QB that fits the mold for which that formula is designed.  Maybe you can apply it just to the passing game, but not to his total worth in any game.  If there is one downside to what the Ravens are doing it is that they are a team that truly is a "as Jackson goes, so go the Ravens."  A lot like Indy was with Manning.  The Ravens have designed an offense that is 100% based on Lamar Jackson.  That's a great train to ride as long as nothing happens to Jackson.  If it does, there isn't another QB in the league that will be able to run this offense as constructed and the Ravens would likely win as many games as Indy did without Manning.  But you can't design something thinking about what will happen if you lose someone.  Jackson is their main weapon and you have to roll the dice and ride it all the way.  

#43 cprenegade

cprenegade

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:42 PM

One thing I do think the Ravens need to think about is when to pull the reigns in on Jackson running.  I mentioned it on the game thread.  The game was over.  Seattle was out of time outs and two TDs down.  Jackson ran the ball on third down and picked up the first ending the game.  Why?  Even if you have to punt, Seattle would have to score, get an onside kick which is damn near impossible, and score again, all without timeouts.  Don't risk your QB at that point when it is not necessary.  

#44 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:43 PM

They can beat the Pats.

I thought they had a better chance to win that game than today.

This is a potential season changing/defining win.

Can’t underestimate the importance of today’s win.

If Marquise Brown can get healthy and this re-tooled D can keep playing solid football, I like our chances vs. the Pats.

#45 BSLMikeRandall

BSLMikeRandall

Sr. Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,933 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:03 PM

Jackson wanted to go for it 4th and 2.

He was upset when Tucker went out there.

He convinced Harbaugh to go for it.

I was convinced the analytical guy up in the booth was too slow doing the math and relaying to Harbaugh to go for it. 

Honestly, shocked that both plays, the 3rd and 15 that went for 13 yards, and the 4th and 2 that became an 8 yard TD worked so well. They put everyone on the line. Telegraphed the run. And they still picked up big gains. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#46 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:29 PM

I was convinced the analytical guy up in the booth was too slow doing the math and relaying to Harbaugh to go for it. 

Honestly, shocked that both plays, the 3rd and 15 that went for 13 yards, and the 4th and 2 that became an 8 yard TD worked so well. They put everyone on the line. Telegraphed the run. And they still picked up big gains. 

Harbs talked about the TD play in the post-game presser, "quarterback power".  A Greg Roman special, apparently.  Certainly looked well-executed, with Lamar running right up the middle through a big hole.

https://www.baltimor...otivated-ravens

#47 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:39 PM

I liked Ferguson's play today, but as per Jeff Z. there's concern that McPhee could be out long term.  We need another pass rusher.

#48 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:51 PM

Lamar is such a difference maker with his legs.

He was a bit off today with his accuracy throwing ( I know, drops, but his ball placement was poor too), but his ability to extend drives with his legs is incomparable.

Also shout out to the Ravens OL that was very good in pass pro and started moving defenders in the run game in the 2nd half.
@gabefergy

#49 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:24 PM

Lamar is such a difference maker with his legs.

He was a bit off today with his accuracy throwing ( I know, drops, but his ball placement was poor too), but his ability to extend drives with his legs is incomparable.

Also shout out to the Ravens OL that was very good in pass pro and started moving defenders in the run game in the 2nd half.

Jackson was 9/20 passing. Of the 11 missed passes at least 3 were placed perfectly. Andrews had a terrible day with drops. Wish they would go to Hurst/Boyle more.

#50 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:03 AM

Jackson was 9/20 passing. Of the 11 missed passes at least 3 were placed perfectly. Andrews had a terrible day with drops. Wish they would go to Hurst/Boyle more.

I dont mind hitting Andrews when he's open, he just had a bad day.

There were several throws that were low/behind receivers, but definitely some catchable balls that got dropped.

I would have liked to see Boykin more involved in the offense after the first drive too.
@gabefergy

#51 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

SportsGuy's Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,521 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:23 AM

Harbs gave a shout out to the Ravens fans that traveled

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#52 jamesdean

jamesdean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:52 AM

Oh yea..Ferguson was huge today.

They still gave up the edge too much at times but definitely an improved effort and Ferguson was certainly part of that.

I heard Jarrett Johnson mentioning on the radio during the 2nd half that Ferguson still takes poor angles on the runner at times but hopefully, he'll clean that up as he gets more experience.  

#53 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,220 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:20 AM

Jeff Z:

There is some concern that Pernell McPhee may have suffered a significant triceps-type injury, but nothing definitive on that front yet. If he misses time, it could certainly ratchet up DeCosta's sense of urgency to get a pass rusher. Defense is playing much better.

This is what I was concerned about.
@BSLRobShields

#54 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,220 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:25 AM

His passing was pretty awful. His completion percentage, even without the drops, wouldn’t have been good. As Gabe said, he also was off target on some of the balls that were complete and a few guys made some big time catches.

He made a few plays with his arm, which were very important, but still, it was a struggle.

Put it another way...when Joe supporters would bring up drops and things like that, what would we hear? “All of you guys are always looking for excuses for Joe”, blah blah blah.

The reality is they aren’t excuses...just facts. You need the guys around you to help you out and if they don’t, your personal numbers can suffer.
@BSLRobShields

#55 JStruds

JStruds
  • Members
  • 363 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:29 AM

His passing was pretty awful. His completion percentage, even without the drops, wouldn’t have been good. As Gabe said, he also was off target on some of the balls that were complete and a few guys made some big time catches.

He made a few plays with his arm, which were very important, but still, it was a struggle.

Put it another way...when Joe supporters would bring up drops and things like that, what would we hear? “All of you guys are always looking for excuses for Joe”, blah blah blah.

The reality is they aren’t excuses...just facts. You need the guys around you to help you out and if they don’t, your personal numbers can suffer.

I don't disagree with the facts you posted, but I think this quote from Childs Walker's Five Things We Learned piece is an appropriate response:

"There’s no use nitpicking Jackson for what he can’t do. The things he can do give the Ravens a unique formula for competing with the best teams in the league. Regardless of where they end up this season, he’s giving us a fascinating show."

https://www.baltimor...wwy4-story.html

#56 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

Jackson wanted to go for it 4th and 2.

He was upset when Tucker went out there.

He convinced Harbaugh to go for it.

https://www.theringe...eattle-seahawks

I really like this quote from Yanda 

Harbaugh was down. “I was told that [longtime Ravens right guard Marshal Yanda] said, ‘If [Lamar] wants to go for it, I want to go for it!’”

• BSLRobShields likes this

#57 Ricker Says

Ricker Says

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,070 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:01 AM

That was just fun. Monday's are exponentially more bearable after a win like that.
@0TheRick0 (AKA The Rick)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." ~ The Earl of Baltimore

#58 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,818 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:40 AM

Only 20 throws.  By my count, 4 drops, so add those to his completions, and he is at 65%.  I remember one bad throw, and that was one where he went back across the middle.  

Time to get on the band wagon Rob, the kid is real good.  Not a conventional drop back passer, but damn he is a play maker, both on the run and in the air.

• ravens82 likes this
@mikeghg

#59 ravens82

ravens82
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

Without those 3 egregious drops, his completion percentage would have been 60% vs. the 45% he actually put up.  But he won the game with his legs, there is no doubt of that.

#60 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

Only 20 throws.  By my count, 4 drops, so add those to his completions, and he is at 65%.  I remember one bad throw, and that was one where he went back across the middle.  

Time to get on the band wagon Rob, the kid is real good.  Not a conventional drop back passer, but damn he is a play maker, both on the run and in the air.

It's possible to be a fan of a player and still be critical of him/identify areas that need improvement.

@gabefergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners