52 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,297 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:38 PM

The Ravens will have to decide if they want to use the franchise tag, and if they do is Peters the best candidate for it.

I think it would be between him and Judon. Right now I might lean towards using it on Judon just because the Ravens would be in a bad spot at OLB if they can't re-sign him or make a pretty big pick up in FA.

Pierce would also be a strong tag candidate. DT tag is less than CB or DE.

#42 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

The other issue I have with Judon is the stupidity at times.

End of the day, the guy just disappears too much. I really have no desire to keep him at all.

I think the money can be better spent.
@BSLRobShields

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,776 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 04:59 PM

The other issue I have with Judon is the stupidity at times.

End of the day, the guy just disappears too much. I really have no desire to keep him at all.

I think the money can be better spent.

He's not an elite guy, but he's a fine complimentary player.  Probably would rather spend money elsewhere, agreed. 

What was that stat they showed Sunday... he's Top 5 in the league in QB hits? 

#44 BSLJordanKough

BSLJordanKough

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:03 PM

Not to be too Dude like but where? 

Gabe and I were talking about it at the game, Not a lot of options at the pass rush spot. I'm also comfortable with Ward/Bowser/Ferguson on the weak side. 

But Gabe kind of talked me out of my interest in Clowney who is gonna be tag+ expensive. Potentially not worthwhile. 

#45 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:04 PM

You can spend money in a lot of places.

The pass rush without Judon isn’t going to be much different than it is with him.

You don’t pay him just because.
@BSLRobShields

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 115,776 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:06 PM

Not to be too Dude like but where? 

Gabe and I were talking about it at the game, Not a lot of options at the pass rush spot. I'm also comfortable with Ward/Bowser/Ferguson on the weak side. 

But Gabe kind of talked me out of my interest in Clowney who is gonna be tag+ expensive. Potentially not worthwhile. 

If they don't have him and don't otherwise address the pass rush, I'll again bitch about the lack of pass rush... so admittedly they can't win. 

But spending on a legit playmaker like Peters... someone with some elite skills vs. investing in Judon due to need seems like an easy call to me.

#47 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,421 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

I think Judon would be considered an OLB which falls under the LB tag. 

Last year LB was $15.4M and CB was $16M. DT was $15.2M

@gabefergy

#48 BSLGabeFerguson

BSLGabeFerguson

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,421 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:19 PM

Getting back to Judon, I don't mind if they let him go but there needs to be a plan to get a legitimate replacement. I'm not looking forward to a potential Ward/Bowser/Ferguson group at OLB. Maybe bring back McPhee, but he is a real injury risk at this stage of his career. 

I think I would try to go after someone like Ryan Kerrigan if he is let go or Shaq Barrett, maybe both if they let Judon walk.

@gabefergy

#49 mdrunning

mdrunning

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 05:23 PM

The thing that should be concerning about Pierce is he showed up for camp overweight and out of shape in a contract year. Where's the motivation should he sign a big contract?

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,297 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:36 PM

The thing that should be concerning about Pierce is he showed up for camp overweight and out of shape in a contract year. Where's the motivation should he sign a big contract?

Well if you tag him, he hasn't signed a big contract.

I also don't really buy that he was that out of shape and overweight. I think that's frequently overblown and that Harbaugh was likely making an example. I have no hesitation to sign Pierce as it relates to effort. Contracts don't always work out, but I don't think Pierce is any more risky than any other deal.

#51 BSLRobShields

BSLRobShields

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86,328 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:41 AM

https://twitter.com/...0006461440?s=21
@BSLRobShields

#52 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationAACo

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:02 AM

If this is Peters last year on his rookie deal, it's kinda hard to imagine him not trying to get that big second contract in FA. Though, a best case scenario may be if he considers how he's bounced around the league thus far, and if the Ravens offer him the right number, maybe he takes a shorter-term deal that'll allow him to still cash in with the new CBA. That would align nicely with Lamar's rookie contract window.

As far as Judon's concerned, I'm fine with letting him walk if they're willing to spend even more to replace him. The market for impact pass rushers is what it is, and likely the only way they're upgrading is by spending big in FA. If they're going to take that approach, this off-season is the time to do it. I admittedly don't know which names will be available though, and I have to assume the top few guys will be tagged, per usual.

@Bmore_Irish

#53 JohnnyK27

JohnnyK27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:35 AM

I'm also interested to watch how the Ravens play out their cap in the longer term. You've already got $60 mill on the books in space, you've got another $13 mill if you want to move on from Jefferson and Carr. I think Hurst and RG3 are an interesting case as well but there is another $5 mill in space. 

Let's just say, for the sake of the math, we add $20 million for draft picks and filling out your roster but they cut everyone. That's $58 million in space coming into the year. I want to see them get Pierce, Judon, and Peters extended. That's probably something like $18-$25 mill in space right there, too. You've got $32 million to play with on the other side. What I'm curious about is, if they don't like what's available, do they front load some of the extensions? And try and keep the cap cleaner later? In the sense, yes, you get value from Lamar now, but are you better off investing that cap down the road rather than burning it all now. 

There is plenty of room to add Peters and I think it will be interesting to see what the Ravens ultimately do with these FA's both in terms of just keeping them and how they approach the cap headed into the latter 3 years of Lamar's deal. 

After watching Clowney play Monday night he's my must have from free agency. Even when he doesn't get home he's extremely disruptive nearly every play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Partners